January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.clintonedwards.ap.jpg caption="Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?"]MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Raymond

I love the way people disrespect Hillary. I guess people think its ok because she is a women. Its Sad!

January 22, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  2. Denise Nelson

I don't Know how anyone can say Clinton or Obama won the debate all they did is argue like three year olds. I for one am sick of that crap.

January 22, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  3. hectoracuna

Oh the haters are at it again! I find it amusing that at the end of the Primaries half these hate-filled bloggers will be without their candidate. If you think Mrs. Clinton is an "idiot" or "Hitlery", or if Obama is a "jerk" or "not black enough", what will you do if your candidate doesn't win the nomination? Not vote for the other Democrat in the general election? Vote for the Republican? Who's the idiot THEN? If you can't have intelligent discourse, why bother with posting your hate-filled petty opinion. Please, go back to beating your wife, or kids, or just beating-off. The Democratic party doesn't need you.

Or are just a Republican spreading the usual conservative vile? Oooh how clever of you, posting crap about Obama or Hillary just split the party? Real genius folks.

Don't get caught up in a conservative hate mongering ploy! We need a united party. Stop listening to the cable news pundits, it benefits them to turn non-issues into controversy. And we all eat it up!

Gee, I wonder if this post will actually make it through the CNN sensors? Not having much luck, guess they don't like criticism of their punditry? Or perhaps they don't like Mexican bloggerss??? Naaaah

January 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Barbara

Wow! Now there's a "worthless" statement if ever I've heard one – "Hillary's proving that a woman can do nothing without a man doing it for her".

I think all candidates should devote more time to developing a comprehensive plan for re-vamping the educational system in America. It's clearly lacking.

January 22, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  5. carol

Hillary – Edwards ticket! I could live with that quiet happily!

January 22, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  6. Al in Wpg

I'm not surprised they met after the debate, they probly met before the debate to. They seemed pretty in tune during the whole thing... Hillary/Edwards '08? I think that may be the case.

January 22, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  7. Al in Wpg

Sorry, that doesn't make sense, it would be Clinton/Edwards 08, not Hillary/Edwards 08.

January 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  8. Lucas, Columbia, SC

Heads up to the Edwards campaign, many who might take a second look at you will look away if you don't come out and disavow any connection to Hillary Clinton.
    If you are the "change" candidate, as you claim, backroom deals with Clinton just won't cut it and make you look disingenuous.

January 22, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  9. David G.,

If you were to believe Hillary's press and her outrageous boasts, she was the driving force in Bill's 8 years... I think the only thing she drove, other than that disaster health plan, was her husband's private parts into an intern's mouth... She's more flip-floppy than Romney and McCain together. D.

January 22, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  10. JAZ

Edwards is in the position of Queen-maker due to the complex delegate counting process that determines the Democratic nominee.

Guess Edwards is betting on who will be the nominee after Super Tuesday.

Go Hillary, leave politics to the adults and the sandbox to the kiddies.

January 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. Dianna - Oklahoma

I am a woman and a die hard true blue Democrat and Hillary Clinton does not get my vote under any circumstances. If she gets the party nomination than my party has forget how powerful a force she is in mobilizing the Republicans. I will right in a candidate or abstain all together. her performance last night was politics as usual and she showed her divisiveness and her shrillness. Please do not assume since I am a woman Hilary you get my vote I like an Obama with Edwards as VP ticket myself.

January 22, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. jp/michigan

Edwards and Clinton were great in the debate. They want the basic same thing and I believe there is room for them to work together. Clinton/ Edwards ticket is a possibility.

January 22, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. rebrock

As much as I think Edwards stood apart from the fray of the night, it doesn't take a genius to figure that when two parties are busy firing at one another, taking the higher ground is pretty simplistic strategy. To me, I think everyone's criticism of Obama's sophomoric unease in debates can be very readily compared to that of Hillary's when she started out in the eye of public service...it's the system that grinds you down and hardens you to the fact that you are submitting to taking low blows through your spouse instead of playing it straight. I don't blame him for being uncomfortable hitting back when it goes against his core ideology of transcendence of hope. He is truly bearing up against the "machine" of 24/7 scrutiny,parsing of semantics, and grueling campaign tours that politics has become in the 21st century... I wonder if FDR, JFK or even Lincoln himself would have been elected in this day, in this way. But it all comes down to the fact that, really, all three of these candidates are far more intelligent and capable (despite their detailed plans and the differences of each) of running the country than Bush or the Republicans have been. So Hillary and Bill need to cut the crap out of their campaign and let Hillary and her record in the Senate speak for itself. Edwards needs to continue his message of steering the conversation back to the issues and clarifying his attributes ....while Obama just needs to say he's not going to tolerate any more of the baiting from the Clintons, keep his message of hope and transcendency in the forefront, and run the kind of campaign he always wanted no matter the polls. Speak on for Hope! This country needs inspiration, aspiration, and the admiration of our peers once again!

January 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. Brandon

Hillary is a fighter! Just like no one wants a lawyer 'till you need one, people are hesitant to go with Hillary because she is tough. Obama's message of hope might resonate, but it is one dimensional and will fail in the grit of a real national campaign. I want a candidate who will "go to the mat" for me and my concerns. Hillary is that candidate.

Give 'em Hill!

January 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  15. Obama Fan

Hmm. "Stay in the race long enough to split the vote with Obama and then I'll make you my VP" perhaps?

January 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. Joe

How about a Clinton/Clinton ticket? Hillary is constantly saying she's been fighting the GOP for 16 years. I thought Bill Clinton was the president for 8 years not her. If she wins, does anyone really think that Bill won't be in the Oval office?

January 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Mark

Obviously he was asking to be her VP in the General Election. We all know Hillary is #1 and will get the nomination. Obama has no chance in the General Election and everyone knows that. Edwards knows he has no chance and this is the last chance he has at the nomination, so he was asking Hillary about being VP. Go Hillary!!! Most experienced and ready to be President on day 1!!!

January 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. Bukky, Balt MD

I'm guessing that the see Obama breaking from the pack and they are plotting the hurdles to put in his way.

January 22, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. Ralph

What was discussed at the meeting....hmm let me Guess. Edwards drops out after SC, supports clinton and becomes her VP candidate. Poor Obama. Seems like everybody is out to get him. I wonder why. Seems like being an honest politician is a liability.

January 22, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. pam Eugene OR

I don't want Hillary to get near the White House, not even as VP. We would need 24 hour security so she doesn't steal stuff.

January 22, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  21. Mike, Fort Washington, MD

Hillary is quilty by association. Bill damage the country by lying to a grand jury. He disgraced the oval office my having sexual relations with that women and the American people do not want to be remind of that again.

January 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. Mike, Houston, TX

We can sum up the Democrats as follows:

Edwards is the boy crying wolf. Big bad Corporate America is the root of all evil, and he will punish them. While this plays well to the ignorant, Corporate America is primarily owned by pension funds, who in turn are funded by working America. So his arguements are illogical at best.

Hillary has NO experience. She "went to the mat" on health care during Bill's first term and never got up. She went from "First advisor" to "First Lady" to :"First Victim", etc. She has NO sound policy. Mandated health care coverage is also illogical. John Doe can't afford health insurance so Hillary wants to fine him? Give us a break. This lady is mentally challenged.

Obama is a faster political learner than Hillary, but he also has NO sound policies. His underlying campaign is Rodney Kings "why can't we all just get along" line. Sounds nice but as we all can see by the wanton display of ignoring reality last night, no one in Washington gets along with anyone.

Although McCain isn't my first choice, he seems to be the only one with policies that make more sense than the others (although they are all wrong on energy) and can truely work across the polical divide that has now become our nation's capital.

January 22, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  23. Amused, Las Vegas

shaun January 22, 2008 1:01 am ET

"Hillary's just proving that a woman can do nothing without a man doing it for her"

How do you spell Neanderthal?

January 22, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  24. Pepp

What happened is that both Clinton and Edwards tore the scab of the wound of a record that is Senator Obama and showed as litigators that it is he Obama who is the political operative in the game espousing fine lofty words but with a record that shows no true political courage and only politics as usual as a strength like the current goof in the WH. You could see it on Edwards face, why would you vote Present more than 100 times and the hypocrisy that he uses their votes which they had they courage to vote on in context of the time.....and Obama mis represented Rezko 5 hours and a career and a 300,000 discount on a house and the Present votes while a small amount of his votes were because of IL he was alone on many of those controversial votes like stiff penalties for young blacks in the justice system...

I believe the 90 day freeze on foreclosure that Senator Clinton suggest is a good one..lets get through the severe weather and take a breath……..before these sharks move in on the over extended. Hey Dems is it possible to discuss the rest of the country now and not just the needs of the Black community the rest of us also need Change.

January 22, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  25. Peg

I agree with both of the above comments rom Jennifer, Oklahoma and shaun. She showed how dependent she is on her husband and I think that will be her demise as she needs to get rid of his influence and campaign on her own merits. Unfortunately she also showed how she can talk on and on (like her husband) and not say very much as well as become picky and down nasty (which can be good, but doesn't look good for her to be doing this).

January 22, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |