January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. PJ

I am a republican and the only Dem. candidate I would consider voting for is Obama. He seems like he has real convictions and tries not to play the "game" that the Clintons (and lets face it both of them are running). Why does Bill get so much face time? How about what Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Edwards has to say? Why when the Clintons get a question they don't like they say they are done talking about that and no one pushes them on anything? That just leaves more questions. What about Sen. Clinton's voting record? What legislation has she sponsored?

January 22, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Terri Patanus

I believe that Hillary/Edwards would make a GREAT political ticket that I would stand with.

January 22, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Ticker Shock, Richmond, VA

Apparently this was a not so secret meeting. Why do we all have such knee-jerk reactions to these CNN articles designed to fan the flames of just about everything negative?

I would LOVE to see a Clinton/Obama Ticket. If Edwards were to win the nomination then I don't know what I will do unless Michael Bloomberg jumps in the race.

January 22, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Les

So, what I am hearing is that Barack shouldn't attack the Clinton's eventhough Bill has been attacking him from the start. I don't see Michelle doing this, that is why Hillary can't bring her up, because she hasn't stooped to their level. For anyone who thinks Hillary is an innocent in this, wake up! While Bill defames Barack, she sits back and tries to look innocent. It is part of their campaign. Now, all those who can't see this seem to think Barack can't debate the issues. If this campaign were truly about this issues, Barack wins hands down. Hillary thinks we can turn back the clock to Bill's administration and all will take care of itself but she needs to know the world has changed. Because of this, we need a candidate for CHANGE. Barack has my vote!

January 22, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. David J. Hill Los Angeles, California

Clinton has a right and an obligation to defend herself. Obama jabs and then whines when he gets hit back. he's not mature enough to be president.

January 22, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Scott

john January 22, 2008 10:07 am ET

Hillary will make a great president. I am man and I cant stand the pressure that she was in debating this two men. She is brilliant and she overcame the wave. I hope Hillary can use the slogan LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE. and Obama should not mention about Bill clinton. Hillary is not mentioning Michelle.

This is the prime example of what is wrong with America. John is a prime example of ignorance in motion. Johnny is Michelle a former president. Johnny is Michelle lying about Hillary. Johnny did you finish high school?

January 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. kris

so the fact that hillary was a walmart lawyer fighting the union doesn't tell her supporter that she's a CROOK??

January 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. DHIGHROLLER

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND WE ALL SHOULD IF WE DON'T THEN WE SHOULD NOT SAY A WORD ABOUT THE ELECTION. THE ONE BIG THING I DON'T AGREE WITH IS THE ELECTORIAL VOTE'S ,THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY THE PEOPLE OR I THOUGHT IT WAS UNTIL THESE LAST 8 YEARS.IT SHOULD BE WHO EVER GET'S THE MOST VOTES THEN YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN THAT'S WHO THEY WANT AND EVERYONE SHOULD ABIDE BY IT.THAT IS THE TRUE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE BUT IT CERTAINLY DOESN'T WORK THAT AWAY DOES IT.I'M SURE THAT IS WHY ALOT OF PEOPLE DON'T BOTHER TO VOTE .WE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE JUST SIMPLEY LOST OUR CREIDITABLE AS A NATION AND IT'S ALL ABOUT (MONEY)(MONEY) PEOPLE THERE IS SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY OR ANYWAY ELSE AND THAT IS (GOD) AND WE WILL ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH HIM ONE DAY EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US MAY HE HAVE MERCY ON ALL OF US .CAUSE WE SURE DON/T HAVE IT ON EACH OTHER.

January 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. tek

Cool! Hillary/Edwards, I like it. Obama is self-destructing, if he gets anymore Republican he really will have to change parties.

January 22, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. Miles

This is not about issues. This is about personalities. The real gun and butter politicians as exit the stage. We running on who you like into you home daily. The contest in between john and obama. Hillary might have a grasp for policy, But I really don't like her.If you don't like a person, it hard to see how that person can motivate you. I get strange vibes from this person.She is not the person I want to lead this party or country. This is just nepotism or the part of Bill and DLC and to a certain degree the American public. First There Was BUsh 1, then there was Bill , THEN THERE WAS BUSH 2. This is 20(TWENTY) years of two familys
    holding the white house. Is this a war between THE HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS(BUSHES AND CLINTONS). Neither family cares about the America publics. Its all about them.

January 22, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. bereccah

Barack Obama is biracial, which is no big deal. However, it rubs me a little wrong that throughout the whole debate, every issue that touched on race, there was never any mention of his mother, who was white, and her family, who raised him. I understand the symantics of culture but I think it's a little sketchy to not address this dichotomy when gunning for the African American vote. It shouldn't matter what his heritage is, and he is an African American, but I think if I were his family (on his mother's side), I would feel a little disavowed for political gain.

January 22, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. Awaiting Moderation, USA

namata
    Did you watch the same debate I watched? Barack was asked a specific question about an attack that Hillary charged against him–saying that he couldn't account for a spending package. He was asked what he had to say about that. So, what was he supposed to say? He said that it wasn't true.

If there's anyone to blame for last night's back and forth, it was the moderators. They're the ones who ask the questions. Why was Barack asked if he thought Bill Clinton was the first Black president? What a ridiculous question. He did great on that answer by the way, first being serious then ending it with humor.

Wolf Blitzer did a terrible job of controling the candidates. He had no control over what went on.

January 22, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. norma

Watching through the entire debate, it was fascinating to see who was articulate, concise in delivery, who stumbled, and who tried to use some pretty words to impress their audience. I initially liked Obama in the early stages of this campaign; I still like Edwards; but there was no contest in that Hilary outstyled, outfact'd, out delivered the other two.

What I don't see clearly, is the fact that the spouses of Edwards and Obama can go about the country bad-mouthing Bill Clinton and Hilary, and everyone is up in arms; but "anything" and "everything" Bill Clinton says is the topic of the day on all the airwaves; prime time tv and the newspapers. There's a problem here. Is the right to free speech just reserved for the wives of the candidates but not the husband of a candidate ?. Shucks, here I thought our former President should certainly be given the same "freedom of speech" rights that other citizens are given. Its quite clear that there is a double standard here – now we're giving privilege to gender, and race isn't even in the froe.

Don't forget to give the Republicans lots of air time when their new ads against the Clintons start airing. With the Republican background of corruption and indictments and sex offenses and fraud – be sure and bring up Monika in every ad – for that will surely rev up the Republican voters. What a farce this road to the Presidency has gotten to be. Thank you G.W. and your cronies of the last 8 years.

January 22, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. Awaiting Moderation, USA

On CNN's homepage, the Ticker "tickler" say "secret" meeting. What sensationalism.

January 22, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  15. tek

Lucas, SC: Thank you so much for enlightening all of us stupid stooges to the true political climate in the country. So typical of Obama people.

January 22, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. MJ

The Clintons are as bad as Bush when it comes to the truth. I'm a Dem that wouldn't vote for her if she was running against Satan. She will win the nomination though and the democrat party will look pathetic and inept as they lose another national election.

January 22, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  17. Jason- SC Voter

Does Sen. Obama really expect the American public to believe that we or the other presidential candidates do not understand the voting process in the Illinois senate?

If given the choices of:

Present X 130 times

I think we can all know what "present" means. You can't up your mind. I guess his spin doctors weren't available before he cast his vote

January 22, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Suzanne

HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY!!!!!!! At least she got tough skin. Obama needs to be accountable for his record everyone else has to....why does he think that this does'nt apply to him....and what happened to calling a truce!! Obama is the one who brought this on by critizing Bill Clinton....I haven't heard Hillary make any kind of remarks about Obama's wife....keep it on the issues...that's what i want to know about....IF HE CAN'T STAND THE HEAT GET THE --OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. HC

namata, Michelle was never the President of the US. The dynamics are completely different. Think before you type.

January 22, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  20. will

I WANT EVERY ONE TO TAKE A MINUTE AND THINK OF WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEED. WE ALL AGREE THAT THE 8YEARS OF REPUBLICAN SET OUR COUNTRY 20YEARS BACKWARDS. THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES ALL HAVE THE SAME IDEAS FOR OUR COUNTRY. BUT MY QUESTION TO YOU WILL BE, WHO IS THE BEST TO HAVE IT DONE. WHICH OF THIS CANDIDATE WILL BRING DEMOCRAT AND REPUBLICAN TOGETHER TO VOTE ON WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEED. WE'VE SEEN DEBATES AFTER DEBATES. ON THE CAMPAIGN TRALL. WHO IS THE CANDIDATE TO UNITE THIS COUNTRY. THINK ABOUT IT.

January 22, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. Harry, NY NY

Don't fold to the political machine!

I can't believe voters are buying this "stand by your record" argument the Clintons are floating out there.

Is it because there is more of a record for Obama since he has been elected to more than one political office as opposed to Clinton's 1?

And why is no one questioning Hillary's refusal to address her vote for the Iraq war? She still has not taken a stand for her vote for that.

Edwards, don't fall for the Clinton machine! She will change nothing! The country will be as polarized as it is now under Bush, just in the opposite direction!

January 22, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. sore country

people try to analyze way too much. Just wait and see..., maybe it was just friendly chat?
    She can talk to anyone she wants to.

January 22, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. ObamaSUPPORTER

Obama did a great Job ysterday! He is right! He must be doing good that both of them were fighting against Obama. Edwards will go with whoever he thinks will win the nomination. The past two debates I watched Edwards was on Obama side because he clrealy thought Obama will win. And, yesterday all of a sudden he became Hillary supporter? And they had a private meeting? It is too much of a coincidence, don't you think?

January 22, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. HC

namata, my apologies. that comment was meant for John. Don't you love the irony of my post? LOL!

January 22, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. J

In response to Hectoracuna, there are a lot of us who are simply independent (including myself – a former Democrat) who are sick of the nonsensical fighting and lack of integrity politicians like Newt Gingrich or the Clintons represent. Obama is the breathe of fresh air we've been waiting for.

To John, are you kidding me? Obama shouldn't bring up Bill because Hillary isn't bringing up Michelle? Has Michelle been running around like a desperate lunatic lying left and right to prop up her spouse? I think not. Even the most biased Hillary supporter can admit that Bill has gone way beyond what an ex-President should do even if he is the spouse of a candidate.

To Namata, Obama has shown on more than one occassion he most certainly can take the heat. He took on both Hillary and Edwards and made them look pathetic. Did you hear the applause for his responses. By far the most filled with integrity, logic and rational thinking. Best line was "I don't know who I'm running against" to sufficiently convey the absurd manner in which Bill has been conducting himself of late.

And a warning to all you Dems – I voted for Bill Clinton twice, Al Gore and John Kerry. EAch time I was humiliated as I saw the Dems nominate folks who were either mediocre at best or complete losers and I voted for them only because the GOP amazingly managed to nominate someone even worst (do you have any idea how disheartening it is to always vote the "lesser of two evils"). If the Dems screw this up (which of course they will because that's what the stupid party does each and every time – resulting in my defection to becoming an independent), I will HAPPILY vote for John McCain, the next favored son of the rational independent non-lemming minded electorate.

January 22, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |