January 22nd, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Obama is 'frustrated'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.clintonobamasc.ap.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Barack Obama came to Monday night’s CNN debate looking to spark a brawl.

“He telegraphed it, he talked about it – he clearly came last night looking for a fight, and was determined and launched right in,” she said at a Washington press conference on economic issues.

“I think what we saw last night was that he’s very frustrated – Sen. Obama is very frustrated. The events of the last 10 or so days, particularly the outcomes in New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy,” said the New York senator.

Obama’s comments last night, she said, “were so rehearsed that he kept on insisting that I had mentioned President Reagan in what I had said, when I didn't mention President Reagan.”

She also repeated allegations that Obama had said in 2004 he agreed with George Bush on the way the president was waging war. Obama disputes the claim, saying that the Clinton campaign is deliberately distorting his comments from that period.

Shortly after Clinton spoke, her campaign sent reporters a memo containing half a dozen unrelated charges against Obama, including the charge, based on a recent news report, that he “represented now-indicted influence peddler Tony Rezko in his efforts to develop government-subsidized slum housing.”

The Obama campaign has denied links to any illegal activities on the part of the Chicago businessman, and has said it would reject all contributions linked to him.

Related: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss Sen. Obama's debate demeanor

–CNN's Mike Roselli and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Linda

Hillary is accurate on her comment concerning Obama's rehearsed statements. I watched the Nevada debates and some of his comments were exactly the same, word for word.

January 22, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. MACdaddy

GO HILLARY GO !!!! tell it like it is show them who is the boss.

January 22, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. Jim in Orlando, FL

This is so revealing ! Hillary is now out there analyzing Obama as "frustrated", hoping to get the label to stick. As a very interested Republican who watched the debate, I saw Hillary as the excessively frustrated one, speaking a lot without saying much, while Obama was highly polished and on message throughout. For that matter, Edwards also carried himself very well. I applaud Obama for the campaign he has run. Hillary cannot hold a candle to either one.

January 22, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Dave

Mrs. Clinton a lot of us are frustrated. Frustrated that you and your husband continue to lie, cheat and steal to get elected. The Country needs relief from 28 years of the Bush/Clinton drama we have been suffering through. This is not a monarchy!

If you win the nomination this life long Democrat will vote for Mike Bloomberg.

January 22, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. Brian

Clinton's politics couldn't be dirtier or more underhanded. She and her husband are determined to fracture the base to win this thing. God help the Democratic party if we hand her the nomination.

January 22, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Tom Flagstaff, AZ

This senior citizen, life-long Democrat will never vote for Clinton. Time and again, I hear her talk, and I cannot escape the reality that she lies a lot. She comes across as very entitled, when in fact all her political life is derivative. If she is the nominee, I certainly will not vote for the Reublican, but I may vote for Bloomberg if he's available. What I do know is that I will not vote for her. This country has had enough of lies.

January 22, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Marty, Orlando Fl

Here we go again with the Hillary attack.

Go Obama '08

January 22, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  8. Clare

We need a "truth squad" much like you had during the Kerry/Bush campaigns. I happen to think Hillary is probably too astute of a campaigner to make untrue charges, but all of these folks tend to dramatize and emphasize the negatives out of context. What matters is the first part of this article. Obama DID appear to be frustrated–as well as rehearsed–and he WAS the first one to go on the attack! Watch the tape! I am deeply concerned about ANY candidate who, much like George Bush, does not appear to be able to handle criticism, nor admit it when he has been wrong. Obama can't keep flying under the radar, nor can he expect America–ALL of America–to take him seriously if he refuses to face up to his record.

January 22, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. virgie

HILARY, EITHER YOU WIN ON YOUR MERITS OR NOT-STOP FIGHTING DIRTY AND LEAVE OBAMA ALONE. IT'S VERY UNPROFFESSIONAL FOR A WOMAN OF YOUR CALIBER TO BE ATTACKING LIKE A BULLDOG!!!!!! NOT TO MENTION YOUR HUSBAND!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  10. Robert

Oh come on Hillary, can you really spin that debate as "Obama came in wanting to throw mud?" I think everyone did their fair share of attacking and being attacked. And if I remember correctly, she started the mud slinging.

We the people will decide who won the debate. We don't need you to tell us. I want to be a good democrat and vote for whoever wins the primary. But Hillary makes it harder and harder for me each time she opens her mouth.

January 22, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. LDP

And, speaking of Rezko[the referenced slum lord], where Obama wasn't
    truthful there either. What, he claimed he only worked 5 hours for the
    man. REALLY?

Since early 90's when they became friends, after also making deals with
    each other, Rezko became a money bundler for Obama. They became quite
    close and bought their homes next door to each other 2 years ago, after
    winning his US Senate seat. He also then agreed to buy some of Rezko's
    land so he had more, for about $100,000.00. News and reports Rezko and
    his circle have given about $160,000.00 to Obama and that does not include
    their special deals with buying stocks, etc.

Obama has decided to donate what he considers about the amount he received
    directly from Rezko, aproximately $40,000.00 to Charity.

But remember, he doesn't know the guy, he just worked about 5 hours with
    him.

January 22, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. kevin

I bet the republicans are going to win the 2008 election.

January 22, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. maynard

barack Obama is not frustrated.. he is smarter than to bend down to your level
    and put up with your redorick while in the dabates.
    The woman of many faces stood true to my belief,,, She is not wise or smart enough to be the leader of the USA. REMEMBER when things start to go bad THE WOMAN OF MANY FACES STARTS TO CRY>how can she even think about
    holding a meeteing when the party you meet with turns against her. OH I FORGOT GOOD OLD BILL WITH BE THERE TO BAIL HER CRYING FACE
    OUT AGAIN GET RID OF THE CLINTONS ONCE AND FOR ALL HILLARY
    YOU MAKE A LOT OF PEOPLE SICK WHEN IT COMES TO POLITICS

JUST GO AWAY

January 22, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  14. W James

Note to Billary and Company:

Tony Rezko?

What's that about?????

January 22, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  15. suzy

did you watch the same debate I did??????

January 22, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Tom Dallas, TX

Sorry, Hillary, you lost my vote. I decided last night after the debate that I am voting for either Obama or Edwards, who can really move this nation in the direction that we need it to move in! SORRY!

January 22, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  17. HC

When he defends himself he's "ready to fight" and "frustrated". So, what is it called when she cries to have her way and has hubby fight her battles? Hmm?

January 22, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. Kelly Ayers

So sad to see Hillary sink to dirty tactics....sending reporters distorted comments on her biggest competition. She is also using a lot of psychological tactics: you are frustrated, Obama...you are angry, Obama....ick

I'm disappointed in her character and see a lot of parallels to the dirty politics Dubya sank to in order to get elected. She ironically is modeling his behavior more than ever, even as the "anti-Bush" candidate.

I'm worried, however, that people will be fooled by these shenanigans of hers, and elect her, as they did Bush. The dynasty should be ENDing not beginning again.

Sigh.

January 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  19. Val Davydov, MA

I don't agree with Obama on the issues (I am a Republican), but I do feel his pains. I don't think it's fair – it's two very well known and powerful individuals against one. Is it Hillary whose running to be the Commander-in-Chief or is it Bill whose running for the 3rd term. Looks to me it is definitely the latter.

January 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Omar Norfolk VA

LOL. Ok I am convinced Hillary C is clinically insane. LOL

January 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. ronald scornavacca

The clintons are two of the most corrupt and dishonest politicans in this country. How can anyone believe them since they have been lying their entire life.

January 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. Jay, NY

Jim, This is why the republicans elected the inept president we have now...they don't listen. Clearly you were not listening to last night's debate. Hillary was on point, stated her positions clearly and came off very strong with facts to back her up. Obama was weak, frustrated and whining about how people are questioning him. What does he think the republicans will do in the fall....leave him alone and hope all goes well. Wake up america...Hillary is the only one that can beat them.
    Hillary 08!!

January 22, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Helga

I am sure Hillary Clinton will be the nominee; however, I can tell you this WHITE woman thinks you are White Trash who got rich on the backs of the taxpayers. You have no business in the white house and I would vote for my dog spot before I would vote for you. You just go straight to hell and take your womanizing husband with you.

January 22, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Will, Manchester, NH

Well Hillary..I am glad you have enough time to scutinize his style. American people are tired of you and that womanizer Bill. Stop telling lies or rather opening your mouth. You will see the true American voices on Feb 5th.
    Obama did very well last evening. Not only has he taken on the corrupt Clinton Machinery extremely well but also highlighted all your unscrupoulos delaings.

January 22, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. Lev Klinemann, CA

Puting up with your crap Hillary, I'm frustrated too.

January 22, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |