January 22nd, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Obama is 'frustrated'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.clintonobamasc.ap.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Barack Obama came to Monday night’s CNN debate looking to spark a brawl.

“He telegraphed it, he talked about it – he clearly came last night looking for a fight, and was determined and launched right in,” she said at a Washington press conference on economic issues.

“I think what we saw last night was that he’s very frustrated – Sen. Obama is very frustrated. The events of the last 10 or so days, particularly the outcomes in New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy,” said the New York senator.

Obama’s comments last night, she said, “were so rehearsed that he kept on insisting that I had mentioned President Reagan in what I had said, when I didn't mention President Reagan.”

She also repeated allegations that Obama had said in 2004 he agreed with George Bush on the way the president was waging war. Obama disputes the claim, saying that the Clinton campaign is deliberately distorting his comments from that period.

Shortly after Clinton spoke, her campaign sent reporters a memo containing half a dozen unrelated charges against Obama, including the charge, based on a recent news report, that he “represented now-indicted influence peddler Tony Rezko in his efforts to develop government-subsidized slum housing.”

The Obama campaign has denied links to any illegal activities on the part of the Chicago businessman, and has said it would reject all contributions linked to him.

Related: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss Sen. Obama's debate demeanor

–CNN's Mike Roselli and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Julie

I will never vote for Hiliary Clinton. She and Bill are a disgrace.
    I once supported Bill, voted for him, but I see him in another light now.
    They both are ridiculous liars, twisting "facts". Totally negative.
    I VOTE NO ON THE BILL AND HILL SHOW.

I will vote for Obama or Edwards, honorable candidates who seem to be taking
    seriously what an election SHOULD be.

January 22, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. RD

Well I'm flustrated with both of them. They are a disgrace to the democratic party. We need someone who can talk about their accomplishments and not have to divide the democratic party to try to become President. Obama and Hillary have divided the democratic party and we Know the Republicans can't stand them so what kind of President will we have if they can't work with everyone for the benifit of the American people. I wish for once they would try to do whats best for the people of america instead of for them selves. I'm ready to send Bill and Hillary packing they have disgraced the Nation enough. And Obama can go back to Kenya they need a leader in his hometown. And maybe Edwards can clean up the mess Hillary, Bill and Obama have made. And unite the democratic party and then unite this country and be a President we will be proud of. Edwards 08.

January 22, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Jerry

Note to HRC operatives: read these posts and weep. This is the sound of the general election going to John McCain. Good job. McCain will win 70% of the Independents and the low turnout seen in early GOP primaries will be a thing of the past. Remember – there is no Ross Perot on the right this time to siphon off GOP votes, a key ingredient in President Clinton's wins. Oh, and that big win for the Dems in the House and Senate, kiss that goodbye too because of the negative Clinton coat-tails.(This from a white, 45 year old who wanted to vote Democratic in the generaly election.)

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Joe, Wilmington DE

Of course he's frustrated. So am I by the BS the Clinton "team" keeps dishing out and has been for so many years.

America deserves better than those two lying, coniving pieces of garbage.

Have the courage to cast your vote for Sen. Obama. The time is nigh for real change.

NO MORE CLINTONS, NO MORE BUSHES!

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Maurice, Cleveland, OH

Some people keep talking about the "Clinton Golden Era" and how good the economy was in the 90's, and how the country had a surplus budget. Last time I checked BILL CLINTON was president in the 90's not Hillary. She talks about Bill's presidency and his accomplishments as if she was co-president running the country right along with him. She talks about her 35 years of experience. What exactly did she do in these 35 years. I know one thing, she was definately first lady a lot and that doesn't count as experience.

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. Rodney

The Clintons will say anything to win. I feel sorry for HRC. Bill is using her so he can ascend to his throne for a third term. She is like an abused woman that can't recognized when she is being used. I am an independent who usually votes Democrat, but I will vote for a Republican if Hillary receives the nomination. The lady is too divisive to win in a general election. Also, Bill Clinton ain't no brother of mine.

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Hillary Yes!

Obama continues to bob and sway in the debates. Asked how he would pay for his economic plan he said I will give you all the figures and then proceeded to change the subject. He does this time and again. Watch. Finally, we're getting a look at his weak voting record in Illinois. He claims his 126 "presents" were on issues that didn't really matter. How lame is that? Even Edwards took him to task.

Hillary was right to point out Barack's comments on Reagean, whom she did not mention by name though he accused her of doing so. Regardless, the mention on Reagan is a clear example of pandering to independents and republicans. But he dodges this too, saying I didn't mean it. He's just a transformative agent with a lot of dynamism. But I didn't mean it.

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Mike

Instead of them bickering at each other they should grow up and talk about ecomomy and more work. It so stupid when they start putting them down...
    It's all down to he said,she said, they said ,we said....you said....
    They're not fit to be president if they have all this issues among them..
    Ms. Clinton is not right for president because she gets her emotions get hurt so easy. We need a strong person..We are not ready for a woman president.(yet)

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Tammy

Obama didn't do a good job during the debate. His "uh's" were frustrating to listen to and he always seems to have a difficult time "getting............the................words.............out.................of................his...............mouth".
    Only Hillary can handle the job – – it's as easy as that.
    Go Madame President!!!!! 🙂

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. Neutral No More

I have TRIED TO REMAIN NEUTRAL during this Democratic primary race because even though I have chosen the one I will support during the primary I will also support whoever the nominee is.

But, NO MORE. After watching last night's debate and the campaign tactics over the past couple of weeks, I have HAD IT. NO MORE!!!!!

I am THOROUGHLY DISGUSTED with Clinton tag team. It is dirty politics at its worst.

There is NO SHAME!!!!

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. AJ, IL

Obama Frustrated?! That's Hillary's statement after the debate. Obama needed to show us that he is not afraid of Hillary (or Bill) Clinton. I was waiting for Obama to challenge Hillary on her 35 years of experience claim. He did so brilliantly by relating his ground work with the poor and disenfranchised on the rough side of Chicago after college while she was a corporate lawyer on the board of Wal-Mart. Many Democrats look at Hillary and take her word that she has 35 years of relevant political experience which is not true.

Hillary struck at Obama with a low blow, talking about Obama working for a "slum-lord". Anyone with sufficient political curiousity can look up the many shady dealings both Hillary and Bill Clinton have had over the past 25 years. Obama to his credit didn't do that, nor did he bring up Hillary's past support (as a young Republican) of one the opposers to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Now Obama has to re-emphasize his campaign message. Don't let Bill Clinton or Hillary Clinton derail him off his message, because it is a good political message.

OBAMA in 08!

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Tim

Obama seems to undermind himself. He's repetitive and finds it hard to explain his positions. He and his staff definitely went negative on Hillary immediately, and his supporters didn't like it when Hillary went right back after him. Looks like he's lost his wave and his great movement or his movement turned into more of a bowel movement.

He'll win in S.Carolina because of the black vote will go overwhelmingly for him and then he will slowly recede.

January 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. Sean McM

Clinton's folks know how desperately the Republican Party wants Obama to win....because his pitiful record can be easily exposed, he is the beatable candidate for them. Too bad Obama didn't wait....it is NOT time for a neophyte, nor an individual who has NOT VOTED on so many Senate roll call votes...........he was, of course, preparing for his candidacy.....NO EXCUSE....the Dems will lose the Presidency because of him.
    Go back to the Senate, Obama, draft some legislation which will get bi-partisan support....SHOW US YOUR STUFF.........it just isn't there.

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Judy Phoenix, AZ

The country is sinking , facing a lot changes that most likely people is not prepare, besides who is the liar or not what we need is a strong person capable to take decision and go beyond the facts... Everybody is going to defend themelves to win the Primary, attacks, lies and debates are totally normal,,,, OBAMA is not prepare to face this country and the current situation, He is too fragil, constantly changing statements, easy to convence, no experience at all, just a cry baby.... From my point of view only two people have the experience, the personality and the strength to pull this country from the bottom: CLINTON and McCLAIM.... I has been Democrat for many years, but if OBAMA is the candidate I will vote for the Republicans... so GO HILLARY !!!!!! I want the Clintons Back.......

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. Karen

To Tom Dedham, again.....

The fact that Bill fell asleep doesn't need to be posted. You just watched it on TV. You may not know this but it has been on TV for years.... over and over and over again. Much like everything about the Clinton's. Got anything new?

I thought you were, you know WORKING?

Shhhhh! I'm still counting the times Obama said, 'let me be clear', 'let me finish' (this takes awhile) and my favorite 'that's not what I meant." This is as fun as the Alberto Gonzales hearing......

Independent, and proud of it.

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  16. Lety-

Wake up Democrats, Clintons lie and do anything to win. She was tearing because she is losing. We know her character and her husband's too. Get out of the way Clintons let the new blood take over. We do not want your lies or name. Be strong Mr. Obama do not let their lies and power get you down. We need a CHANGE you are the one. "Fight for Righ".

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. sporter

Hillary Clinton is the smart choice. She knows what she is doing, and she is a strong person. She can talk to anyone and she is comfortable with anyone. She doesn't stutter. She has groomed for this position all her life. She has earned it. There is no one else more qualified. People need to think about who is smart and who can lead and not about the first black President. That can happen at a later time. Right now we need someone who can resurrect the goodness of the United States of America not only in the eyes of its people but also the world and that person can only be Hillary Clinton.

January 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  18. Rico

Michelle please help out he's frustrated!

January 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. adam

if obama wants to beat hilary then he has to do alot better. in order for obama to bring down hilary he has to stop bill clinton. bill is a major reason why hilary is doing so well. i think that the clinton campaign should continue to attack obama and obama should defend himself like he did yesterday by focusing on whats important for america. soon people will be tired of clinton's tatics and they will eventually lose votes. obama is focused on uniting america and is focused on health care and all the other issues but keeps getting interfered with the clinton's attacks. i'm sure that the clinton's are familiar with this quote, but sometimes obama "you gotta play a little dirty"

January 22, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. ayka

USA deserved nice politician who believe in liberty and freedom!!
    Hillary and Bill r making precedent in american politics (institutions).
    Bill, he s acting like Poutine, he s for remote control direction.
    Obama have to take distance from Hillary and Democratic party, if he believe in change.
    Obama08 for USA.

Merci

January 22, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Darron-Washington DC

This race is about the best candidate. I know in my heart Americans can see that Barak is truthful and has tried to run a campaign that is different. Hillary has been able to dog him down a bit. He needs to revert back to the style that won him Iowa. It is very hard though when you have a family that wants to secure the White House at all costs to their people, agenda, and party. They use operatives, and distort the truth, like all the time. Come on Bill, how could I forget the cum stain on the dress? I remember good things about the 90's but it is 2008, baby. How can Hillary form a working majority as President? She divides her party, let alone independants and republicans

January 22, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  22. John Cobb

Hillary revealed her true self last night–self righteous, vindictive, and power hungry. You think we're in a recession now, just wait if Hillary gets elected. Wake up America! Do not vote for this wolf in sheep's clothing!!!

January 22, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. Dianna, Oklahoma

I would be frustrated too if I had a machine working against me with Lies and misrepresentations. However when he was speaking and the camera was on her I think her face said it all. To be frank her expressions were plain nasty. I am an educated, female over 35, True Blue Dem and I am against Hillary. I voted for her husband twice I think he was a fantastic President however she is a sorry replacement. We need to throw out the Bush & Clinton dynasties and get fresh blood in the White House.

January 22, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. Christian

Obama frustrated? Barack is not concerned about the Clinton attacks because people know he is a high class, man of character. Barack also knows that he is going to win this election and become the next President of the United States.

Obama '08

January 22, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  25. Enough said.

This is highly dissapointing.

The personal attacks by posters on here is pathetic. What is the point of all this? You are not pandering to independent votes on this board.

Its one thing to suggest you endorse a candidate, but you guys go ON and ON and ON , like the whole world is reading this dumb blogg.

Did you know...........

There isnt a single person on here who is still debating who they will vote for?

We have already made up our minds. There is no point STUMPING for your candidate on these threads. Making up fake IDS. Posing as Hillary supporters who have magically 'changed their mind' -like thats going to convince others do likewize also.

Or pretending to be republicans who would vote for Obama but if HIllary got the nomination.....................(better get obama in so you can get republican vote)

I once indicated they should have an IQ test before you vote. I am beginning to believe that they should also have on for CNN bloggs so we dont get headaches reading all these childish rants .

January 22, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |