January 22nd, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Obama is 'frustrated'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.clintonobamasc.ap.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Barack Obama came to Monday night’s CNN debate looking to spark a brawl.

“He telegraphed it, he talked about it – he clearly came last night looking for a fight, and was determined and launched right in,” she said at a Washington press conference on economic issues.

“I think what we saw last night was that he’s very frustrated – Sen. Obama is very frustrated. The events of the last 10 or so days, particularly the outcomes in New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy,” said the New York senator.

Obama’s comments last night, she said, “were so rehearsed that he kept on insisting that I had mentioned President Reagan in what I had said, when I didn't mention President Reagan.”

She also repeated allegations that Obama had said in 2004 he agreed with George Bush on the way the president was waging war. Obama disputes the claim, saying that the Clinton campaign is deliberately distorting his comments from that period.

Shortly after Clinton spoke, her campaign sent reporters a memo containing half a dozen unrelated charges against Obama, including the charge, based on a recent news report, that he “represented now-indicted influence peddler Tony Rezko in his efforts to develop government-subsidized slum housing.”

The Obama campaign has denied links to any illegal activities on the part of the Chicago businessman, and has said it would reject all contributions linked to him.

Related: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss Sen. Obama's debate demeanor

–CNN's Mike Roselli and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Once again, Senator Clinton comes across as a patronizing woman who thinks she knows it all. I'm so tired of her. . .

January 22, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. Chad, KY

I agree. Hillary seems like she will say or do anything in order to get elected. I am a republican, who is intrigued by Obama, but Hillary really turns me off. I would consider voting for Obama in a general election, otherwise I am voting republican.

January 22, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. Joni

Its time out for politics and time in for truth. We should reformat debates and just allow candidates to present their platform in detail. How about letting the candidates get up and tell how they will pay for their agendas instead of havin teh other candidates tell them what they aren't saying.

January 22, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. aisha naeem

thats right ,he is frustrated . thats what obama said about hillary after his first iowa win that oh she was frustrated . and now he is the one after 2 losses in row ,now he was the one who attacked first and was almost yelling and still he had no explanation of his jailed friend renzko and present votes .and i read his statements praising reagan .when clinton said fairytale obama said they doing racism that thats what they mean by fairytale and now he saying no no thats what he meant ,he meant this and he meant that .now he is showing his true inside

January 22, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Enough said.

I feel bad for Obama. He is a great candidate. This is comng down to nothing more than 2 things. His ill advised attempt to run for president when he clearly doesnt have to experience to fight the fights necessary to get things done.

Secondly, he seemed to buy his own hype when winning Iowa, and I think he has been searching for a direction ever since the campaign has turned against him. With that cullinary union on his side, and being allowed to caucus right in the casino, I am convinced he reallly believed he was going to win Nevada.

He is being double teamed by (arguably) two of the best politicians in United States History. He thought he was prepared to handle the politics, but I think he underestimated the Clintons ability to crush their opponents and still look good on the outside.

His Reagan comment has hurt him and as a lot of people hated Reagan. A lot of the things the democratic party stand for were not well treated by the Reagan administration. We all know he was merely trying to pander for independant and liberal Republicans in Nevada and California. But he again was so sure of himself to have a teflon suit on that would immune himself from critique.

The Clintons are increasingly making him limit his words , so his effectiveness starts to become more and more about 'safe' speeches . The Clintons are increasingly getting Obama to take a defensive posture on everything he says.

He is starting to realize he is slowing becoming dragged down to an ordinary politician status. He probably cant win on that platform. He needs the 'above it all' stance of bi partisanship.

And when the smoke clears, I believe he will simply have to take his hat off and realize he has no magic formula that can outsmart Bill and Hillary Clinton after everything they have been thru. These people have won so many different kinds of elections, they have seen everything.

January 22, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Mike

The Democratice primaryhas been in 4 states. And so far, out of or because of the Clintons, we've had accusations of voting machine fraud in one state, accusations of voter suppression in a second state, and a lawsuit filed by the Clintons over previously agreed to caucus sites – And this is only the PRIMARY!

The Clintons and their negativity are the great dividers. Hillary is unelectable.

January 22, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. RUTH

IF DEMOCRATS CLAIM TO GO FORWARD AND CHANGE THE WAY POLITICS ARE CONDUCTED IN THIS COUNTRY. HOW CAN HILLARY REPRESENT CHANGE IF SHE STARTS OFF WITH THE SAME DIRTY POLITICS? DOES EXPERIENCE MEANS HOW WELL YOU CAN USE THESE TACTICS?

WHY WASN'T JOHN EDWARDS POLICIES ATTACHED BY BILL AND HILLARY THE SAME WAY THAT OBAMA'S WAS?

January 22, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Linda

Never mind what CNN analyzed, Hillary won the debate. She has more knowledge about the important issues for all Americans and works to put them in force. Obama seemed to just studder on all answers, that is, unless he was attacking Hillary or Bill. Just think how he could bring the country together, he started the attacks on Hillary first thing. What an idoit, who would vote for him, the news people have just given him a pass on everything. I guess they are afraid to question him because he's black just like they gave Bush a pass.

Edwards looked a lot better but I'm afraid he can't make it to the convention. So if your smart take another look at Hillary, at least we know what's in her past, and Obama couldn't even answer why he voted present 130 times or explain the problem he's having with the slum lord in Chicago.

January 22, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. Mike

The Democratic primary has been held in 4 states. And so far, we've had accusations of voting machine fraud for Hillary's benefit in one state, accusations of voter suppression by the Clinton campaign in a second state, and a lawsuit filed by the Clintons over previously agreed to caucus sites in a third state – And this is only the PRIMARY!

January 22, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Joe

I have lost all respect for her and Bill. We need to break away from this type of politics. I just hope other voters realize what the Clintons are up to.

Obama '08

January 22, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. aisha naeem

we never had first lady running for white house .but now that she is ofcourse her spuse who happens to be our former president is gonna speak up . just the way obama,s wife speaks up on stages on campaign . i have read her speeches she is very nice and kind but she also attacks hillay indirectly .so what if bill attacked obama atleast he is upfront and he admits it to media and he is not doing through secret sources and paid for media like obama is .

January 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. BC

It wouldn't be a debate or a race if negatives weren't thrown around. I love a passionate debate. Remember the 'ole days?

January 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. Ray

Awww. Poor Obama fans. Hillary called out The "Untouchable" God you call Obama. It did look like Obama was not ready for the responses Hillary gave him or that she called him out on His Present votes and Slumlard backing.

Hillary is the only one ready to lead on day one! Go Hillary!!

January 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. Frank

well said Clare. you must be a smart woman. i want every political office in the US to be held by women they are smarter.

January 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. Perry

I agree with some of the analyst were saying, the leader of the Democrats need to step up and stop the fighting and low shots between the two candidates (esp. the Clintons). They hurting the Dem. party bad. The Clintons only care about winning, even if it ruins the reputation and tearing down what Democrats stand for.

January 22, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Nicky, Phoenix, AZ

Hillary Clinton gave Obama what he needed last night, a good kick!

He needs to be able to weather the storm, after all the attack machines will do much worse to him.

From where I sat it looked to me like Hillary Clinton was the clear winner. She caught him off guard and off message. Edwards helped the cause.....

For me, I'd give Hillary and Edwards and A, Obama only a B.....

January 22, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. Xavier, Washington, DC

Yes he is frustrated. You and your husband keep lying on him and forcing him to spend his time correcting your lies instead of spreading his message. Heck, I'm frustrated too.

January 22, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  18. caywen

As always, the Clintons will do and say anything to win. Dirty, underhanded politics through mischaracterizations, and belittlement and condescension of her opponents. I was a staunch Biden supporter because he *always* treated his opponents with respect and dignity. Now, I'm leaning towards Obama simply because of Hillary's nasty tactics. I want hope, not evil nastiness in the oval office.

Basically, I went from, "wow, we have some great candidates, we can't lose with anyone!" to "if HRC wins the nomination, I won't be voting in the general" within 2 months.

January 22, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  19. Lifelong Dem for Obama

Bill's actions are unbecoming of a former president. Let's change the future of this country and elect Obama. Do you really want your children to read in the history books: Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Clinton? This is America, we elect leaders on their ability to lead, not their last name!

January 22, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  20. ron

Jim, Dave, Brian, Tom

Agree 100%. They say this i politics as usual. What we do not want is the usual.

If Hillary gets the Nom. I as a independent will likely go to Repub or 3rd party depending on the canditate.

It has gone from silly to ridiculos.

All I want to hear come out of their mouths is the issues we face and how they will handle them, not how they feel their competitor will handle them.

January 22, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. Thomas, NV

Obama has faced up to his record... Apparently you were too tied up with the Hillary jabs in between sentences. She came out as a very bitter, smug, and hipocratic candidate. I will not vote for another Clinton, and I believe that America will not either. He is 8 years removed from the White House, and times change. I'm convinced Bill is running, and Hillary is just a puppet.

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  22. Mike

Sounds to me like Hillary is the one who is frustrated.

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. sairefgm

I hate to say this but HIllary and her husband are white trash.

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Greg, NY

She didn't mention Reagan, but come on. Does she really think no one knew what she was referring to?

The reason Obama is frustrated is because she keeps doing things like this. I'd be frustrated too if everything I said was taken out of context and then used against me.

Not to mention, Obama was only the first one to go on attack by default. The question asked of him forced him to do so.

January 22, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  25. Steve

Hillary Clinton is absolutely unable to talk about herself. Rather than talking about her own record, she attacks Obama's. Rather than defending her own comments (read: lies), she insults Obama. I don't know what more she could do to make herself a more disgusting political figure.

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |