January 22nd, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Obama is 'frustrated'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.clintonobamasc.ap.jpg caption="Hillary Clinton said Barack Obama came looking for a fight last night."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Barack Obama came to Monday night’s CNN debate looking to spark a brawl.

“He telegraphed it, he talked about it – he clearly came last night looking for a fight, and was determined and launched right in,” she said at a Washington press conference on economic issues.

“I think what we saw last night was that he’s very frustrated – Sen. Obama is very frustrated. The events of the last 10 or so days, particularly the outcomes in New Hampshire and Nevada, have apparently convinced him to adopt a different strategy,” said the New York senator.

Obama’s comments last night, she said, “were so rehearsed that he kept on insisting that I had mentioned President Reagan in what I had said, when I didn't mention President Reagan.”

She also repeated allegations that Obama had said in 2004 he agreed with George Bush on the way the president was waging war. Obama disputes the claim, saying that the Clinton campaign is deliberately distorting his comments from that period.

Shortly after Clinton spoke, her campaign sent reporters a memo containing half a dozen unrelated charges against Obama, including the charge, based on a recent news report, that he “represented now-indicted influence peddler Tony Rezko in his efforts to develop government-subsidized slum housing.”

The Obama campaign has denied links to any illegal activities on the part of the Chicago businessman, and has said it would reject all contributions linked to him.

Related: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss Sen. Obama's debate demeanor

–CNN's Mike Roselli and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Francis

Hillary/Obama ticket 2008

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. John

I watched the replay of the debate just before bed last night. It was a bad idea! I used to respect Hilary but now I see she will do anything to get elected and that is a problem. Of course Obama was frustrated! If someone was constantly lying about my record and portraying me in the worst way possible I would be frustrated as well. Who wouldn't be? The worst part is she lies and smiles! I am a life long democrat but if she gets the nomination I am either not voting or might even vote republican. I hope and pray that the people will see through her lies and vote for someone who can do something to make this country a better place to live.

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Greg in OH

Everyone here is the truth:

We are in this situation because during the Clinton administration (2nd term), Clinton repealed the banking laws that were put in place after the Great Depression to avoid the same issues happening ever again and not have another depression. This allowed the banks to get into the mess they are in now. If those laws were not repelled, then the banks could not have been in this situation. Deregulation during the Clinton administration could cause us to go into a deep recession and maybe even a depression if bad enough.

The law repealed was Glass-Stegall, this openned the door for Citigroup to have it large merger.

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. CJ

the Clinton political machine just keeps digging up the dirt – when will they stop the negative and baseless attacks and have a real debate?

Obama 2008

January 22, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. sairefgm

I agree HIllary is the FRUSTRATED ONE looking at OBAMA with hate in her heart. How in the world can she possibly run a country when she clearly hate to stare her end in the face.

It will get more intense and more bitter as Hillary and Bill and all their followers see the end to government as they know it in the country rapidly approaches it end.

Honorable discharged veteran.

January 22, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. Obama 08

The Clintons are playing the old "sound bite" game and repeating points that have been disputed and disproved. what I saw in her body language and facial expressions is a disdain when points contradictory to her own which is not what I want to see in an American president.

I am sorry but her inability to say she was wrong (voting for the Iraq war), her inability to admit to any weaknesses, and her inability to reach out and unite just remionds me of George Bush.

Cnn is also playing into the Clinton game...two consecutive stories about what the Clintons had to say about Obama rather than something constructive about her policies...tag team politics for two people so thirsty for power they resort to anything: tears, anger, quotes out of context, re writing the history of the 90's.

January 22, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. Tyler

For all you Obama supporters-

You cant tell me that Obama didnt seem frustrated. You have to admit that.

Secondly, Obama kept saying that she mentioned Reagan....did she mention Reagan? No. Go read the transcript yourself.

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Chris, Middletown, CT

Are you kidding me??? I can't believe anyone who saw the debate last night wouldn't say the real Clinton came out...as the liar she is....

Heres an interesting fact (its true...look it up)

Hillary was First Lady of Arkansas she took on education; she was going to "fix it".....when they left office their State ranked 48 out of 50 for education....she is a failure

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. FrenchKing

I an not even American I am an englishman living in France but the primaries are incredibly adictive at the moment especially as what we seem to be seeing is the actual main election taking place among the Democratic candidates...one of them is most likely to become President as most Americans have completely lost any confidence in the Republicans. So the primaries have become much more important than ever before and this is perhaps why the Clintons are so aggressive towards Obama... he is more of a threat than anything the republicans have on offer....the USA elections then are in their final stages. The choice is between Obama and Clinton (s).

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. Renee

Hillary is too much, what a liar she is, the only way she thinks she can win
    is with her criticism of Barack, and Barack, Bill is NOT a brother

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Fred, Virginia

I disagree completely with this posted article. Hillary Clinton came out on the attack, not Obama, and she continued disrupting his answers to questions with focuses personal attacks. I believe she was hoping to draw him out and make a mistake, but in my view, she showed how divisive and self serving she really is. I could not support her for president because of this, and if president she would so polarizing as to make progress impossible.

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Tyler

Everyone says Hillary lies, but Obama obviously does too. His comment about how in Illinois a vote "present" means that there is something wrong with the bill. How convenient is that for him? If something is wrong with the bill you vote NO.

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. jeff z

Hillary looked a little more defensive to me. I would say Obama was explaining the same "out of context" issues that the Clintons have keep charging him with. Go Obama.

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. James

Hillary trying to call Obama frustrated? Ha!
    How 'bout that? Now aint that the milk calling the rice white? Isn;t this the same woman who was about to start bawling on national television when asked how was she taking all of this pressure on the road? In fact, if it wasnt for her teary eyed confessional, she ironically would'nt have won that New Hampshire primary.

This only makes her look like the sneaky little evil person she really is...at least Obama took the high road to some degree and gave her husband some credit for his work. She's a back stabbing loser...

For the record...I don;t care for either of the Democratic OR Republican front-runners!

GO RON PAUL!!!

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Bob

Wait if she gets the nomination..... All the Clinton scandles will be revisited, I cant wait I am sick of hearing about Britney Spears. Let the Clinton legacy be revisited

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. James

Sure he's frustrated and rightly so.
    When your focused on a clean contest and when rival(s) keep slinging mud and half truths it would get maddening.
    Obama to me came to the forefront because he has been pretty much sticking to his gameplan but there are time you have to say enough is enough. This is what he did last night.
    Now that he has said his piece now it's time to get back to work and REGAIN THE FOCUS on what he believes in and let her & Bill sink the Clinton boat .
    Obama will do everything he can to help this country and he will hold himself accountable for the mistakes he makes . In other words "KEEP GOING FORWARD".

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  17. ron

No more Deabtes.

Lets put all three in separate rooms where they can not hear the others reponse and then we can get clear answers to the questions.

This is crazy. It like the playground oin 5th grade all over again. The mud slinging is just more food for the repubs to say the Dems are fractured. And has I see it they are getting closer and closer every day.

They need to discuss the issues and only the issues. History be as it may, I can make my own decisons based on the facts, the probkem is I do not need Hillary or Bill telling me their interpreatino of the facts. Put it out thir post quotes on your site, tell the peolpe to go read it and decide for themselves.

We are better than this, we are all smart enough to figure it out. Each canditate has merits

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. JKH

I've already participated in a caucus so my voiting is over until the general. Obama and Clinton weren't my choice. So I get to sit back and see where the cards fall. One thing I've noticed though, Hillary just keeps on going. She has proven herself to be a very tough, formidable candiate. She may get knocked down every once in a while, but she certainly gets right back and up keeps on going. I had ruled her out last summer but find myself coming around full circle after looking at the remaining candidates.

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. Tim Sunderland, Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

Obama '08!!!

January 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. CR

In addition to Clare's comments, I want to add that John Edwards ALSO had Obama looking frustrated, when he confronted Obama regarding his voting records in the Senate! Watch the tape!

January 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. BCNU purple state, usa

I would be frustrated too. She and her husband keep bringing up sound bites taken out of context, all of her answers are merely talking points (well rehearsed, but talking points nonetheless).

The most frustrating thing I see is how the Clinton lemmings continue to buy into the lies, have no concern about their ethics and somehow swallow this bogus experience argument.

At least he was REPRESENTING an indicted guy and hasn't actually been indicted himself.

Where are those papers from the Clinton years, Hillary... we're still waiting.

January 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Leif T.

Define the opposition, so they have to spend their time defending themselves. The Clinton's finally started it up; they've learned well from Rove and his cohorts.

January 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. Jeremy

Obama has a right to be frustrated.

In spite of how much Bill Clinton is admired for having been inspirational, as well as a productive and competent president, he was not perfect and Hillary is reminding us of everything there was to dislike about the Clintons.

She is a divisive political figure who wasn't able to get universal health care because she couldn't work with others. The Clintons brought us the Republican revolution, giving the GOP a decade long lock on the legislature. In two presidential elections they won without a majority of votes. And, by the end of his presidency no one trusted either of them; impeached, mired in scandals (travel-gate, pardons, campaign money from China, selling nights in the Lincoln bedroom) that they always blamed on others, paranoid about a "vast right-wing conspiracy."

Obama is a breath of fresh air, looking to unite the country, to bring everyone to the table to tackle the tough problems we face. A honest campaigner who seems to still be pulling his punches. Be sure that in general election the Republicans won't. Anyone care to explain to the American voter, when the GOP asks, how a woman who can become a senator and then president on the back of her husband represents real change for women?

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Maria Regalado

Hillary are you incapable of running a "smear free" campaign?. Are you so insecure you fear you can't win unless you rely on attacking Senator Obama? Know this; the public is losing respect for you and see how weak you really are after every Clinton attack of character on Senator Obama. I had high hopes for our first women running for the President, I am proud to have a women candidate, but I am not proud of you. Senator Obama is as qualified if not far more qualified to seek the nomination than you are, or does the position of First Lady make the "people's choice",

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Chloe

Obama is frustrated...it seems to me as Hillary was the one who kept interrupting. She was the one who appeared out of control last night.

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |