January 23rd, 2008

McCain wins backing from Schwarzkopf

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/23/art.mccainend.ap.jpg caption="Norman Schwarzkopf endorsed McCain Wednesday."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican John McCain won the backing of Ret. Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf Wednesday, an endorsement that could aid the Arizona senator in his efforts to court Florida's sizeable veteran population.

"Sen. John McCain has served our country with honor in war and in peace," Schwarzkopf said in a statement released by McCain's campaign. "He has demonstrated the type of courageous leadership our country sorely needs at this time. For that reason, he has my complete support."

Schwarzkopf served as commander of coalition forces in the first Gulf War in 1991. He currently lives in Florida, the delegate rich-state that's set to hold its Republican primary next Tuesday.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Related: McCain counts on fellow vets' vote in Florida

Filed under: Florida • John McCain
  1. Marti

Oh boy…more of his one-trick dog and pony show.

Again, thank you for your Vietnam service but that alone does not qualify you to be the President.

Wake up Republicans – remember where Bob Dole got us? "Paying back" a veteran got us eight years of Clintons while setting the stage for another eight. Please, please, please we don't want to go through that again.

January 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. David...Nevada

its the economy, taxes and taking home more of your money. It's not the war or national security. Sorry McAmnesty.. I don't trust you or your non existant fiscal resume' . From one viet vet to another..
    Mitt for responsible economics and immigration

January 23, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  3. Johnny P.

Ross Perot handed Pres Clinton the election his first run, and took votes from Dole in 96' as well. the 92' election was all about Perot, the 96' election was running against an incumbant president (stacked against the opponent to start).

Had little to do with Dole's service or "Payback", lol.

January 23, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. Darth Vadik, CA

Schwarzkopf, do you want a 100 year war?

I really expected a lot more from a service man, but like McInsane, he must have gone senile.

January 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. Hep

the war mongerers stick together. I'm sure ol' Norman wants us to bomb Iran, too.

January 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I respect Norman Schwarzkopf for his work in Desert Storm and other military campaigns. If this were a race for Secretary of Defense, then this would go along way. Just being able to lead the military and being a part of it at one point isn't enough for most people (at least it shouldn't be the only thing that people consider).

I'd like to know where Schwarzkopf has been. Did he speak out in favor or against the war when it was proposed? How about the "surge" that McCain likes so much, where does Schwarzkopf stand on that issue? This statement is so minimal that it begs too many other questions.

January 23, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Mike

I know John McCain was a veteran, I heard he was in a POW camp.

But tell me why he has resisted every effort to secure the border, even though he is a sentor of Arizona, one of the states hit hardest by illegal immigration. Tell me why he favors outsourcing of our jobs overseas. Tell me why he has done nothing about big oil raking in record profits, while oil is $100 a barrel and we're paying through the nose for gas. Tell me why he has backed George Bush on every issue.

Tell me why I should even think of voting for John McCain – and I'm a Democrat looking for any option except Hillary Clinton.

January 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. Bryan

what a shocker...a war hero supporting a war hero. Darn, I bet Giuliani and Romney are really disappointed they didn't get his endorsement. Who cares, really? Isn't this what you'd expect? Without a strong economy and fiscal discipline, you have no means to even fight a war. So let's get someone in office that understands how to strengthen the US economy so we can support our goals of being a military powerhouse. Romney 08!

January 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. James

Mitt this, Mitt that. Mitt is for everything. That's true, he's been for everything over the years. For abortion, against abortion, for tax increases, against tax increases. He has the well-coiffed, slick appeal that we had to deal with in Clinton for 8 years. Wait till Mitt has to deal with a Democrat Congress. Will he maintain the same positions then or acquiesce to appease the desire to 'get something done.' Most recently, Mitt said he'd fix Michigan's economy, when it's his very business mentality that led to job losses. I'm not even saying that is totally bad, as you try to cut labor costs to keep profits so the company doesn't fold. However, you can't be pro-business, then promise to be pro-labor at the same time. If you are not true to yourself, how can you be true to anyone else?

January 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Val Davydov, MA

Vote Romney! Vote Change! Vote brighter future!

It's the ECONOMY stupid. Economin stability is the #1 issue on people's minds – not war. Everything hinges on the economy. We cannot win the war if we don't fix our economy.

January 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Conservative Joe, Tampa, FL

McCain would be a terrible president. Besides his pro-war stance, he is basically a liberal on every other conservative issue.

Romney is the only chance for the Republican Party. He is gaining momentum and will win Florida next week!

January 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  12. Marco

SchwarzWHO. What do you get when you have one old fossil endorsing another old fossil?

DUST!

January 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. GaryO Virginia Beach

VOTE for the Democratic candidate.

Just look at what a Republican administration has done to our country in years!

We need some common sense back in the White House.

McCain = GW Bush x 10

January 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. Moderated

Who cares?

January 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  15. Patrick Flenniken

I like John McCain but he is in bed with too many Democrats. He will dilute his strong positions by trying to be an independent maverick. Guiliani will use his compstat mindset and turn around this country. He will get certified results on the border as well.

January 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  16. GaryO Virginia Beach

VOTE for the Democratic candidate.

Just look at what a Republican administration has done to our country in 8 years!

We need some common sense back in the White House.

McCain = GW Bush x 10

January 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  17. Jacob, Lexington MA

Now there's a shocker. I just might die from how surprising this story is.

January 23, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  18. RightyTighty

MCCain/Schwarzkopf 2008!!!

January 23, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. Robert NYC & Miami

Hillary 2008!

January 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. MVE

Vote fo Mitt for the right change!!!!

McLaim, Hillary and Obama all Liberals.

If you look at McLaims voting record it looks very similar to Hillary and Obama.

Vote fo Mitt for the right change!!!!

A vote vor McLaim, Hillary or Obama is just more of the same!

Vote fo Mitt for the right change!!!!

January 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  21. jyfranca

Am supporter of Romney but the way things go this time its likely hillary will win.I think John mccain will beat her heavily in november.I think Mccain should be given a chance.We cant afford more 8 years of Clinton it was hell.

January 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. Mechelle

Great! Here goes the GOP chances of winning in November. This kind of endorsement will sink us! We must distance ourselves from anyone who is pro war.

These men have served valiantly, but this kind of endorsement wreaks of bias and does not play well when 60% of our country is bitter about the Iraq war.

I can only hope FL and NY voters will say NO TO MCCAIN!!

January 23, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. Missourian

No surprise on the endorsement. But the media favorite McCain gets any little bit of information publicized.

January 23, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Bonny Zaleski, Redding, CT

I'm not wild about any of the candidates! Now what do I do? I think I'll take two smart people working (hopefully) for our country's good....No more brainless politicians who have humiliated our good name...for the sake of O I L and money in THEIR pockets.....

January 23, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. James

Given the fact that Mitt is pandering for expensive cat insurance in Florida, though FEMA already exists, I wonder how he is proposing to pay for this sinkhole?

January 23, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |