January 24th, 2008

CNN=Politics Daily

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

(CNN) - A new round in the political slugfest is underway as the presidential candidates push full force toward Super Tuesday.

In the latest installment of CNN=Politics Daily, former president Bill Clinton shoots back at the Obama campaign and the media, alleging he’s been falsely accused of playing the race card. CNN’s Jessica Yellin reports on the latest fallout.

Meanwhile, the Obama campaign insists the Illinois senator is the one who’s being targeted by hardball politics from the Clinton camp. Candy Crowley set the scene in South Carolina.

Finally, the hunt for delegates is underway. Courting voters and winning majorities is no longer as important as winning delegates in the Super Tuesday states, says Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. He explains who the delegates are and which candidates they will likely help.

Click here to subscribe to CNN=Politics Daily.

- CNN’s Emily Sherman

1. Josh

The Clintons will fix nothing, America is just as stupid as we were 8 years ago though when we elected bush, so in all likelyhood were probley gonna do it again.I Hope Obama wins though

January 24, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  2. Bob

"Race card" is a term indicative of one's obsession with games and gambling.
    It also is psychological warfare against minorities, trying to marginalize a great evil. From a strategy standpoint, it is better to have racists totally defenseless.

January 24, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  3. Who's the daddy?

My own view is that Clinton and Obama have been playing to different audiences.

Clinton has always taken the long-term national-wide view whilst Obama has been much more short-termist concentrating on specific primaries and especially in South Carolina.

The old phrase winning the battle but losing the war comes to mind and I believe that is what is going to happen here.

Obama will win South Carolina only to lose on Super Duper Tuesday – especially in the big states like California, New York and New Jersey.

Moreover, Clinton's long-term view is not just to February 5 but beyond – she knows that the GOP machine will throw mud at her and by establishing now that she is a fighter that will put her in a good light for many voters.

Whilst many voters say they want a unifier the truth is that negative campaigning still works and it is those who come out fighting the hardest that often succeed. Kerry was attacked at the last election and did not respond – he took the "I won't go to their level attitude" – and look how much good it did him. If Clinton wins – and I believe she will – then I don't think that will happen this time.

January 24, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  4. The Observer

My own view is that Clinton and Obama have been playing to different audiences.

January 24, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  5. Mirta

Bridget – The Healthcare reform back in the 90s is completely different that the one proposed now. I would suggest you check them both out. Also, I have always maintained that at least she tried to do it back then!! The Bush Admin has done nothing and something needs to be done.

Obama was weak on explaining his healthcare refrom during the last debate and I disagree...he is the one who is not experienced.

I have to wonder...HOW is he going to change Washington? HOW? He can talk about it, but the truth is money makes the world go around and Washington is fueled by money.

Clinton '08

January 24, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  6. M. Brathwaite, Virgin Islands

President Clinton and his wife are waging a disingeneous campaign that they planned from the time they were last in the White House her and now that Hillary's nomination is no longer inevitable they are stuping to the lowest lows to destroy Obama.

First they Carpet bagged and use former New York Senator Moynahan to get Hillary nito the senate from a state they never lived in before.

Why didnt she run in Arkansa or even her native state Illinios. Instead she chose the state in the country where they thought was liberal enough to accept their ploy to get her some experience for the ultimate move back to Penn. Avenue.

If President Clinton wants a third term he should be honest and man enough to go to the american people and the congress and ask them to amend the constitution so he can run. He should not be doing it through his wife.

Maybe making her the first woman president is the reason she has put up with his conduct unbecoming for all these years.

Somebody should remind the people how divisive the country was when the Clintons were in the white house. I' m sure the Republicans will once Hillary gets the nomination.

January 24, 2008 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  7. Bob, Delaware, OH

And I'll add...I have probably offended alot of poor racists, but its fun! "What I have written I have written" (mocking Ponchus Pilate too!)

January 24, 2008 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  8. Hillary HATES CATS

Hillary HATES CATS,
    To me that says a lot about her, she has a chip on her sholder.

McCain is all about war, he just wants to get his hands on those nuclear weapons.

Economy Romney is all about JOBS JOBS JOBS and he has the creditials to back it up. He brought the world together at the Olympics and He can bring the world together as economic force against Iran without a shot being fired.

January 24, 2008 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  9. Mark, Wilkes Barre PA

AHHH our nations election process at work,, checks and balances to insure fairness,, every vote counts,, rules to insure no voters are dis-infranchised,,,

January 24, 2008 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  10. Ed,Ellenville,New York

I see all the negative remarks about Obama are still being blocked. Everybody knows his bid is now over. CNN, you exposed his lying about his past dealings two days ago. How much longer are you going to carry his water? Until his ad dollars run out? It's no secret that he's running ads on your network and that's why your coverage is so skewed. This blatant interference in the primary is damaging your advertisers. Every day that this goes on,we're making lists of who the bad apples are that buy ad space on your network. A two-thirds majority of this country are on the Clinton's side.

January 24, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  11. Ann Aloha Independent Thinker,PA

Do we want someone that is easy to listen too?
    Do we want someone that knows what their talking about?

January 24, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  12. Christine

Is Bill Clinton running for re-election? Hillary certainly is showing us that she doesn't believe she can get elected without him. If she lacks such fundamental belief in herself, don't expect this voter to believe in her.

Two for the price of one? I'd rather invest in someone who actually has integrity like Senator Obama.

January 24, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  13. Diana

I believe that Bill Clinton's criticisms (at least the clips I saw on CNN) of the media attempts to capitalize on stories of race and gender were absolutely correct on all but one point. I DO care...about the fact that CNN has now become Entertainment (News) Tonight in my eyes. I used to look to CNN for unbiased reporting. I now will rely on public radio, public television, and Time Magazine (where the editorials are labeled as such.) Please send Jessica Yellin to ET.

January 24, 2008 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  14. Mark

The old dog is just having too much fun. Unfortunately he's been let off the leash and his mistress is not there to blow the whistle.

More seriously, Hillary now has to explain whether she is no more than just a surrogate running for President. This is not now her campaign, it is his. I hope at the next debate she is really grilled on this and forced to justify her excessive use of her husband, who is more in the headlines than she is.

This off-the-leash behaviour is so typical of the Clinton of old, to be followed no doubt by some moment of pious regret when it goes pear-shaped. I truly hope that Obama wins on Saturday by a very handsome margin, and that Edwards comes second. The electorate should deliver the message that they don't believe her to be the candidate.

January 24, 2008 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  15. Jufus, Milwaukee, WI

Bridget:

Yes, Hillary did explain, as has the entire media time and time and time again... you simply have to know how to read to find out.

Re: "That breath of fresh air..." "Michelle Obama calls him, "STINKY."

Additionally, there is no such thing as "positive change in Washington D.C." It is a SWAMPLAND and will remain a SWAMPLAND until American actually goes through another REVOLUTION or we become a satellite country to CHINA. [You need to have someone read the history of the United States – a real misnomer, as we are divided on just about everything – to you.]

NOTHING really changes in WASHINGTON; we just use more POLITICALLY CORRECT language to describe the same mess...

January 24, 2008 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  16. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Mmm, I smell the printers going at Time-Warner's board room. Pinks slips all around for not staying on top of the revenue stream. You could see this shake-up from a mile away.

January 24, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  17. Jeanine

My theory: I believe the Clintons had this whole Presidential race planned before Pres. Clinton left office. In his disgraceful moment with that White House Aide, he lost it. He lost the power to think for himself as soon as he got caught. No woman in her right mind would stand by her man without some sort of retribution! Hillary Clinton got hers. She must have told him that since he wanted to act like a man of dishonor he should use his talents to work for her! So what did she do? She established herself a seat in Washington. She sent Bill out to the area that would do her the most good and get the votes she needs....Harlem. What better way to work up some votes than to put him to work for her and gather as much African American votes as possible! Next, she decides to run for the Presidency. Mystery is solved. I think not. Plan is more like it. Of course he does care about getting out there and campaigning for her. He had better. He owes her big time. I call it shrewd and cunning on her part. Is she really willing to work for the people like she says? I think not. It is all about power. Here is a woman scorned in front of all the world to see. She needs to get her dignity back and what better way than to make him work for her. One problem came up. Barack Obama. She did not count on an African American running against her. So what does she do?She pulls the race card on Obama that way the eyes are off of what she really did....put the former president of the US out on front street.

January 24, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  18. MK

HILLARY, HILLARY--SHES OUR "MAN"!
    IF ANYONE CAN CLEAN IT-–HILLARY CAN!!!!

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA--DOES HE THINK BECAUSE HE ATTACKS THE CLINTONS-THAT MAKES HIM LOOK MORE "PRESIDENTIAL"????
    HE IS INEXPERIENCED, IMMATURE AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO FIGHT LIKE A POLITICIAN–HE IS ALSO EASILY "SWAYED".
    HE DID BETTER WHEN HE KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT!!!

January 24, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  19. BILL M

If the Clinton's sat down for dinner with David Duke, would the media ask any questions?

Is the Trinity Unity Church a front for the "Nation of Islam"?

Has Obama been to "Charm School" and ready to put on a red bow tie if elected?

Well over 500 times, MSM swallowed the lies leading up to george's war.

Are they sticking their heads back in the sand once again?

January 24, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  20. Wayne

I am so tired of Obama and his constant WHINE !! If you can't take the heat, the quit the race. JUST STOP WITH THE CRY BABY WHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 24, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  21. Jean

Hillary has more experience than Obama., with age comes wisdom.I see the news media is still after Hillary today same as yesterday and the day befor. Bill is Hillary's husband, he has a right to campain for her .Obama is a breath of hot air not fresh air.

January 24, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  22. charlotte

Come on...........SUPER TUESDAY

January 24, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  23. pete

We will not get anything accomplished politically until we come together as a country. This includes speaking the truth, reaching out to others across the aisle and
    governing from a platform of hope and positiveness, rather than fear.
    A Clinton and McCain presidency will ultimately only spread more divisiveness, anger, hatred and war. The only candidate to unite us is Obama. Remember,
    we are voting for an approach to government and that persons entire administration, more so than one individual.

From all the false statements, political spin and negativity this week, my opinion of the Clintons in one week has gone from fairly high to the point where I don't know
    if I can vote for them even if they are the Democratic candidate.

January 24, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  24. Scott M.-Kalamazoo, MI

I've lost all respect for Bill Clinton, once my political hero, due to the way this current Clinton campaign is being waged. If you are constantly explaining your comments, playing the blame game, and going on the defense, then I would say there is something seriously wrong with the messenger and not the message. Hillary obviously can't even run a campaign without creating havoc, how on earth will she be able to run a country. Though I like Obama and respect his political ideology, will someone please tell me why he has yet to acknowledge that he is bi-racial when the race card is played. It's fine to recognize your African heritage but your mother is a white woman from Kansas farm country, Mr. Obama (not to mention the one who didn't abandon you). I don't believe you can get any whiter blood in you than that.

January 24, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  25. L-Mani S. Viney

Hey folks,
    Do you realize that every expert that has ever written a book or consulted about the qualities of an effective leader, experience rates LAST. The quality of the character and credebility of the person rates FIRST!

Let's take Hillary. Please tell me how she will be able to get anything done with Congress if her main objective is fighting the Republicans or mircomanaging. To be honest, I see her having the same qualties as this Bush. Meaning she will be so stuck on what she believes is right, that she will alienate people on both sides.
    Then regardless of what she proposes nothing will get done.

Now before you Clinton people go all crazy let me ask you this. How many of you got a Boss you hate? how many of you work for a company that you dread going to work for? Dont the head honcho's there have experience? Don't they know what their doing? Yeah they do. But that dosent mean they are fit to lead.

January 24, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |