January 24th, 2008

CNN=Politics Daily

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

CNN=Politics Daily is The Best Political Podcast from the Best Political Team.

(CNN) - A new round in the political slugfest is underway as the presidential candidates push full force toward Super Tuesday.

In the latest installment of CNN=Politics Daily, former president Bill Clinton shoots back at the Obama campaign and the media, alleging he’s been falsely accused of playing the race card. CNN’s Jessica Yellin reports on the latest fallout.

Meanwhile, the Obama campaign insists the Illinois senator is the one who’s being targeted by hardball politics from the Clinton camp. Candy Crowley set the scene in South Carolina.

Finally, the hunt for delegates is underway. Courting voters and winning majorities is no longer as important as winning delegates in the Super Tuesday states, says Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. He explains who the delegates are and which candidates they will likely help.

Click here to subscribe to CNN=Politics Daily.

- CNN’s Emily Sherman

1. Jenny, Worcester MA

CNN and other corporate media do NOT have the nation's best interest in their mind. They serve their corporate / neo-con / zionist masters and themselves, which accounts for a tiny fraction of the population.

Google Democracy Now and start from there for real information and insightful perspective. you'll see how all the dots are connected.

January 24, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. Randy S. Lawton, OK

Jean: What experience? Name it. List it. Identify it. How can you when even Hillary can't? "With age comes wisdom", what a load of crap I know a lot of folks older than me (54) that just aren't very wise.
    Frankly, Bill should just keep campaigning for her, 'cause everytime he opens his mouth it makes her look like less and less of a strong presidential candidate and more and more like someone who can't take the heat and has to hide behind her ex-president hubby.

If Hillary has the experience to be President simply because she lived in the White House as FIRST LADY for 8 years, then Deanna Favre has the experience to play quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. After all she's been with Bret since grade school.

And if Obama is not a breath of fresh air, what does that make the Clinton's?

January 24, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  3. Bernard

We shall over come. I am beginning to ask what shall we overcome ...someday. Due to the fact that the present adminisatration has created messsy situations every way you turn, I wonder if it really makes much differece at least for the next four years whoses in the white house. Grand Ideals are great but no one man is an island. He or she will still have to take on all of the Bush chaos (foreign and domestic) and will still have to work with the powers that be, (particularly corporate america who really seems to be runnig the show). Sad to say but all of the candidates are by and large buttering the roll and we the voters are left to decide which brand of butter most satisfies our discriminate palates

January 24, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  4. SC for Huckabee

Thank you Duncan Hunter for your insight, you too are a man of distinction and integrity. Mike Huckabee is the only candidate that has a chance in the General Election. Mike Huckabee inherited a fiscal nightmare in Arkansas; the infrastructure was on the verge of collapse and brought the states educational system from 49th to 8th during his tenure. He cut taxes and lowered the deficit while balancing the budget, how can anyone say that he's not a fiscal conservative? Let us not forget, "read my lips, no new taxes" after which was that largest tax increase in history. The American people have to realize that in order to recover from the last 7 years that sacrifice will be mandatory. The difference will be that Mike Huckabee will be honest and straight forward with the American people, which is what we expect from our President.

The Clinton's are old news, while Mike Huckabee represents new views that will enable America to strengthen and restore her credibility in the world.

Mike Huckabee is the only candidate running, from either party, that will place people above politics. With our troops being shot at and killed on foreign soil, I don't want my candidate taking pot shots at opponents; stick to the issues or stand down. Neither do I want my candidate having a short fuse while focusing on long term solutions and goals for the Country.

Fred Thompson took the SC Primary from Mike Huckabee and gave it to his friend John McCain. While the list of candidates are shrinking, it's important to realize that as a nation, we have not elected a President who held a seat in the Senate since JFK. I hope and pray that Florida gets it right!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb debating on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
    "Benjamin Franklin"

January 24, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  5. Ginny CA

Dee: You seem confused. I think I can explain. Hillary is running for president, of course. Her husband has been campaigning for her in South Carolina while she took a 2 day break in some other states. (During the Nevada campaign, Obama took a break and appeared in San Francisco, where he courted the women's vote.) I know you'll be happy to hear that Hillary is back, campaigning in South Carolina today. This is the same sort of strategy Obama used when he was campaigning in Nevada: he left his campaigning in South Carolina to his wife. While all eyes were on Nevada, Michelle remained in South Carolina where she injected race into her speeches without criticism from the press. There was virtually no national coverage of Michelle's speeches. But, notice, every word Bill speaks is duly noted, analyzed, criticized by the media and denounced by the Obama camp. Interesting how that works, isn't it?

I wonder if CNN with all of its pro-Obama bias will even post this comment.

January 24, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  6. Ginny CA

To Nancy: I'm afraid you jumped the gun on the Clintons this morning. Many of the voters in South Carolina will be able to ask her questions because she is back there on the campaign trail after a 2 day break in other states. I know there was a lot of whining from the other contenders about how she didn't care about the people of South Carolina and all, but it's the same strategy that Obama used when he left the Nevada campaign before the caucuses to appear in California. Just so ya' know.

January 24, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. Patrick

CAN SOMEBODY INVESTIGATE WHY CLINTON "THE GOLDWATER GIRL"HAD MEMOIR SEALED?

January 24, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  8. Hillary for economic reasons

Obama says he wants to unite us. O.K What I am having a very hard time with is the mission statement of Trinity Unity Church and the views of pastor Jeremiah Wright. Also the fact that they gave great honor to Louis Farriaklan. Now Obama is trying to distance himself from Jeremiah Wright saying he does not always agree with him. Just like he is trying to put distance between himself and Tony Rezke. He has belonged to that church for 20 years, he has to believe in the pastors words. People can look up the church and their mission statement for themselves, this is not rumor but right there on the churchs website. I'm going to have a very hard time seeing unity and Obama in the same sentence. If I am missing something, please correct me because I find this very troubling.

January 24, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. Enough said.

My question is this

Do you guys swallow after you give Obama head?

January 24, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. Amanda

I am so tired of hearing race and gender as a reason to vote for the next American President. I will not be voting for the white woman or the black man but I will be voting for the person who discusses the views and issues that that one person feels needs to be changed in order to make our American Government a better one. The last Debat I saw showed Clinton and Obama spending more time talking about each other instead of talking about the issues that Americans on a whole are having problems with. Even though Edwards was also in the debate, he did not take the initiative to change the subject enough to get the conversation back where it belongs; the issues that are facing Americans right now. This country needs to get over what color, religion or gender we are and start uniting for a better cause. A better America for everyone. I am very disappointed in the Democrats.

January 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. Bill, Beaufort,SC

It appears to me that Senator Obama is no different than any other politician. While he preaches "change" and how he can unite, his continuing attacks against Hillary and Bill and the over-emphasis he is placing on garnering the black vote in South Carolina may actually be fueling the flames of racial discontent. He, and every African American should be grateful for the fact that Bill Clinton was president. President Clinton has done more to advance the black cause then most black politicians have done. Yet, Obama would have his fellow Americans, black, white and latino, believe just the opposite.

Who is really playing the race card? As I said at the beginning, I hear nothing different from the Illinois Senator these days that sets him apart from any other politician.

January 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. skip

It appears to me that Obama is racing against 2 opponents... not just 1. Who's running for president... Bill or Hillary? I wonder what tides would turn if Bill would simply not be in the equation?

January 24, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. Susan in Texas

The Clintons are disenfranchising black voters by minimizing their contributions to this primary season. OBAMA supporters should BOYCOTT the November election if Hillary Clinton is the nominee. I am outraged that the Clintons have made this primary about race, and she ought to lose Obama's supporters to teach her (and the Democratic Party) a lesson. Let's see if Clinton can win a general election without black voters. And I pray, pray, pray that the after the November election we'll have someone - anyone - in the White House whose last name doesn't end with Bush or Clinton. 15 years is enough! (And Obama supporters, don't be too dismayed - remember that Reagan was defeated in 1976 but came back with a vengeance in 1980. Obama might get pushed out by the Clintons' dirty campaign tricks, but he'll come back with a vengeance in 2012.)

January 24, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Jim Lynch

Am I Rep/Dem/Ind? I don't know. I've always favored the best man for the job. Regrettable I "did" like President Bush at one time. I normally do not speak up on issues but I'm upset and as my right I am choosing now to say something.
    On our economy: How can you jump start an economy when companies are outsourcing all jobs to other countries. The US market is wanted by most counties as we are big purchasers. With all our companies selling us out the families that once had higher income (the people that buy goods) are no longer buying as a result many are now working at lower wages. Sooner or later the purchasing power of Americans will not support the economy. Like we are seeing now. This along with all the banking fraud going on, It is no wonder we are in such trouble here. The rest of the world is worried that we are going into recession. We have been for years, it has just been clouded over by corporations, banks, and lies. What we are seeing right now in our economy is nothing compared to what's coming. The market has to equalize and when it does the dollar will be worth a peso. We all should thank our elected leadership for selling us out. We don't need a presidential election. We need an entirely new government that is for the people as it was originally setup for. I think we have forgetten this.

How to fix our economy: 1: GET OUT OF IRAQ and save us 400 million per day. 2: Russia sank that superwell in siberia and the oil from that brought them out of debt in what 5 years? Our oil companies sold us out also. I think the state (meaning gov) backed up by ind auditors to keep our gov on the up and up should get into the oil business. The Indian res have casino's Why can't Americans have oil wells. State run and proceeds go towards the state and taxes to fed. Won't this lower income tax? create jobs, get our states out of financial trouble?

January 24, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  15. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

In Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, yes even in Michigan CNN and others, were reminding us of daily of the poll numbers, why not now in South Carolina?

January 24, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. Mark

Nice point Ivan: I did a web search, and the latest South Carolina Zogby poll for 20-22 January has Obama on 43, Clinton 25, Edwards 15, and 14 undecided, with a variance of +/- 3.4%

January 24, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  17. docrock,tx

Liars and slanderers

January 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. jp/michigan

PEOPLE OF SOUTH CAROLINA: Look at the voting records of both Clinton and Obama. Obama missed 177 votes out of 1086 since Jan. 6, 2005. In 2007 alone he missed 175 votes out of 433 (sourse hppt://www.govtrack.org) He was sent to the US Senate to be the voice of the people of Illinois. Hillary missed 143 votes out of 2394 since 2001. 2007 she missed 117 votes out of 433, her approval rating was 60% . There was no approval rating for Obama , he has only been in the Senate 2yrs..While he was a state legislator he voted 130 times "present". If bills were unacceptable to him he could have and should have voted against them, then gave his reasoning. Americans are searching for their next leader .As president, Obama will be faced with countless difficult decisions on numerous gray issues and voting "present" will not be an option., Look at the experiences of the candidates , not just the rhetoric, gender or color of ones skin when making this important decision.

January 24, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Charles,

I saw Obama saying that he was a better choice because if he won the nomination people, who would have voted for Hillary, would now vote for him. But not the other way around. I’m an independent, and there no way that I would vote for someone with his flimsy resume. As for his performance in the last debate, I thought he looked ready to cry when John Edwards asked him to explain his voting record. He cries foul when someone brings it up. The press has been easy on him because they feel the need to prove that they’re not racist. I think the Reps would be delighted to go up against him. They won’t be as gentle about pointing out his shortcomings. As for me, I’d rather vote for McCain, and hope his saber- rattling has just been to impress his war mongering party base.
    P.S. Don’t forget that Hillary tried to be a team player in the early debates. Then Edwards and Obama double teamed her and she was force to fight (to the delight of the media). I like Edwards. But, he’s sneaky. He’d rather sucker punch or gang up on someone.

January 24, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  20. ARMSTRONG

GOD BLESS OBAMA. YOU ARE THE GREATEST. WE THE AMERICAN ASIANS LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY VERY MUCH. WE WANT AN HONEST GENTLEMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

I AM TIRED OF THE CLINTONS NONSENSICAL CRAP THAT THEY ARE THROWING AT YOU.

GO GO GO OBAMA.

January 24, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. charlotte

What's going to happen when we leave the south? I hope we leave the garbage behind. All the media following the candidates around has to be good for the economy of the stricken south. People out in droves,eating out , all those signs had to be made by someone. Politics is big business. Maybe we can get back to normal. We can worry about poor Brittany, Angilina Jolie, and whether or not Drew Peterson should date?

January 24, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. charlotte

How about Teflon Bill, I'm tired of slick willy. You'd think with as much as is slung something would stick. Unless there is no substance to it.

January 24, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  23. Ruth

CNN,

You not only are slanted toward Obama. Paul is ahead of Guiliani and gets absolutely no coverage. What is the deal? Why have you left Dr. Ron Paul out of your coverage and given Guiliani so much coverage?

Its pretty disgusting how you have treated Dr. Paul. I would like to see more of Dr. Paul represented by you.

January 24, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. Sharon

Obama is eloquent but not polished, needs some experience. I too am tired of CNN's slanted coverage. Bill Clinton balanced the budget in his term. . . Maybe co-presidents would not such a bad thing! They are two of the brightest people this country has seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VOTE HILLARY

January 24, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  25. Bobby

Forget the race card
    It seem to me that when we do polls everyone ask the same question and it don't cover enough

Lets try asking Americans if our FICA should raided for the third time in the last 7 years ( Boy for a system thats going broke why keep taking from it )

And our war is in the Middle East do you think a Woman can reason with Mens
    who see Womans as second Citizens

And finally did The Clinton Empire & The Democrat party
    shoot them self in the foot and lost this election to the Republican Party by trying to put the Black boy in his place (shaking my head )

January 24, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |