January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Chris in FL

We wish you well John, and pray for the health and wellbeing of your family. Thank you for being a champion of those who have no voice.

I encourage you to throw your support behind Hillary Clinton, who is in the best position to influence change in Washington and take on the issues about which you care so deeply.

HILLARY/EDWARDS 08

January 30, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  2. Jeannie, Atlanta Georgia

My husband said he was voting for John Edwards on super Tuesday. I'm trying to sway him towards Hillary now. I'm voting Hillary super Tuesday and all the way. I like Edwards and wish him well.

January 30, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  3. John

Lets hope edwards is Obama's VP. I like Edwards and wish him well!

January 30, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Kevin, Louisville, Ky

Tommorrow debate will be fun!! Lucky for shows like Grey anatomy and CSI that writers are on strike cause if the shows were on tomorrow, they will be blown out of the water!

Good for you Edwards..you did not look authentic speaking for the poor after making money off them!!

Hillary, now it is just you and Obama ...poke him more ..he might just explode! (that is what you want eh)

Obama; please stay on topic and do not let the Blitons get to you and inspire us ......show Hillary that you have style, grace and substance...

now to you all ...think of your mortgages and impending recession!!

January 30, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. Robert in Albuquerque

yahoo has a new poll out that states 4 in 10 of Edwards supporters would support CLinton, as to 3 in 10 for Obama. I think John waits to see who is willing to take the issues he holds so close to his heart and runs with them. He's a great VP choice.

January 30, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  6. John, NC

Good job and well done, John. I'm glad you'll continue fighting for the poor and the marginalized.

Now no one should blame you if either Hillary or Obama fail to get the nomination, crying foul about you getting part of their supposed votes!

Now, make it easy on all of us,

PLEASE ENDORSE

HILLARY '08 !

January 30, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  7. Truethis

I really think that an Obama and Edward ticket will really heal this nation. I'm praying that he make a smart move because this country is desperately looking for true change.

January 30, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  8. btimesfive

Sexism is alive and well, even at CNN. In this story, Hillary Clinton was referred to as "the former first lady" while Barak Obama was referred to as "senator." Shame on CNN.

January 30, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  9. John (New York)

If Edwards doesn't endorse Obama it would be a blow to him. He has been talking change and he isn't gonna endorse Obama. That to me makes him a coward and selfish person. Do what is right John.

January 30, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. mike

What does this mean as far as delegates? Will those that he won be split proportionately between the other contenders, or if he makes an endorsement does he pledge his delegates? Anyone have any insight on this?

January 30, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

The evil clinton machine? are you for real? these people have sacrifice so much to be running these campaigns, KTK you coward, if you like Sen. Obama then just say it and stop the nonsense. Sen. Edwards has a great story and he should be proud that he was able to run (twice) for office, it is a shame that too many people perhaps judged him based on his looks and his trial case background rather than his message. I whish him well. Sen. Clinton already has connected on the issues that American wants and needs, Sen. Obama is making a lot of people believe and to have hope, I applaud that it shows that the democratic agenda has an audience. but make no mistake our economy is in trouble, our problems abroad are real and actions speak louder than words. this is not over and Sen. Clinton WILL out-work Sen. Obama every where she goes. I like that about her and I personally support her. Sen. Edwards you are a great patriot and I thank you for your sacrifice, your message and may God bless you and your family.

January 30, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. montana for obama

Its about time, while i like Edwards, he comes off like a democratic Romney, pretty boy, fancy hair, slick attorney. Hopefully all will UNITE behind Obama and defeat the republicrites! Look for a third party of religious evangelical party with the freaks, bible bangers, american crazies and that will guarantee a democratic victory!

January 30, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  13. Denis, NJ

That's too bad. I was hoping for an interesting primary this February. Now there won't be anything interesting going on until November. Edwards was the only Democrat left standing who was not an establishment candidate.

January 30, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. Bonnie

I am sadden by John Edwards leaving the race – he would be a great president – I partially blame the media for this, because all they talk about is Obama and Clinton – not fair coverage. If John Edwards backs anyone I hope its Obama. Obama/Edwards would be a winning combination.

January 30, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. TJ WILLIAMS, Los Angeles, CA

All the best to him and his family. I hope he endorses Senator Obama and stops the "Billary Machine". He'd make a great Attorney General and it would allow him to constantly be closer to his wife. The thought of an Obama/Edwards ticket is great but I think the time has come for him to be with Elizabeth. I've seen this kind of illness and one can go downhill overnight.

GOOD THOUGHTS FOR HIM AND HIS!

OBAMA '08
    *This time I want a REAL Leader!

January 30, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. Antonio, San Antonio TX

John it was awesome hearing you speak and thank you for putting the message out for the poor and forgotten. You will be missed. God Bless.

January 30, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. jason

I am now a discouraged voter. He was the only candidate that I was going to vote for when they hit Maryland. I have made it a point to stay abreast of all of the issues and Edwards has been the most consistent candidate in the race. I am now stuck with the choice of voting for a shady neophyte who has great speeches, but am absolutely NOT confident in his ability or a politcal vet, who I believe will get results, but question some of her campaign tactics....Oh well, I guess I will write myself in.

January 30, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Eric

Thank you John Edwards for highlighting some of the most pressing domestic issues of our time in this Presidential Race. You truly raised awareness and forced your rivals to co-opt many important parts of your message.

I think an Obama endorsement is a logical choice for Edwards, but he may wait until after Super Tuesday to back the winning candidate. Im not so sure about a spot as VP (I still can't forget his disasterous performance against Cheany in the 04 VP Debate) but I think he could be one of the best Attorney Generals this country has ever seen.

Best of Luck to you Mr Edwards and your brave wife.

January 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Steve, Landing, NJ

I liked Edwards, and if he'd won the nomination I would've happily supported him against any of the Republican field. However, I don't think he's the right choice for VP for Obama or Hillary. If we're going up, as seems increasingly likely, against John McCain, we need someone tough, preferably with military experience, and with a lot of experience. Edwards doesn't seem like he fills any of those roles.

January 30, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. Blayze Kohime, Columbus OH

This makes me wonder if he intends to endorse one of the other candidates, or even become their vice president. Something like that from him would give a huge push to anyone's race.

January 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. Kevin

For me it was between Obama and Edwards. This makes my choice pretty simple. Great campaign though, John. Keep fighting the good fight.

January 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

Too bad he coudln't effectively communicate a majority–particularly since the "change" agenda for the 2008 election rhetoric of both parties–is due largely to John Edwards.

As myself, and other supporters of John mourn his decision–we must take a critical look at Obama and Clinton...and decide which one promises to bring the inspiration, hope, and determination to forever change "business as usual" in the White House.

January 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. Robert Bell

Now the only question is, how much for his delegates?

Edwards will SELL his delegates and his endorsement to whoever agrees to support the Trial Lawyers and torpedo any serious tort reform.

That was the whole point of his candidacy, not "helping the peepul".

FWIW.

January 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. Matt, Wilmington, NC

Roxanne from NY... How about you get to know someone before making rash and false statements like Edwards being a phony? For those of us who worked with his center to fight poverty in Chapel Hill, NC, his drive to work for the poor and disenfranchised could not have been more real or intense.

The only reason he didn't win is because of the national media, and that is a real shame. He never took money from lobbyists or PACs! So what if he made money as a lawyer... Do you know what he did? He sued big corporations who's unsafe products killed people and sued doctors who practiced old tradidtional style medicine that actually killed a woman because of the doctor's individual religious beliefs of ONLY natural birth. For you to say he's a phony could not be farther from the truth.

So what if he built a mansion? Do all the candidates not have large houses, and do any of the successful candidates not have money? The whole political process is about the media and who has the most money. Another reason he didn't win is because he represented the disenfranchised and those folks generally don't speak with very loud voices. Get your facts straight before spouting off that people are "phony" without even knowing them.

He will continue to fight against special interests, for the poor, disenfranchised, and all of us who get screwed by our government every day. He has put his money and time where his mouth is. He's still working with Habitat for Humanity and continuing the center to help poverty. IF A CANDIDATE CONTINUES TO DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY WILL EVEN WHEN NOT RUNNING FOR OFFICE.... HOW DO YOU GET MORE REAL THAN THAT?

January 30, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. namata

YOU PUT UP A GOOD FIGHT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY SENATOR EDWARD. WE WILL MISS YOU

January 30, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |