January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Sam

I am sorry to see Edwards go. He fought to give voice to the hopeless and it is appreciate. I don't want to see his work go in vain with a Clinton win. I hope that Edwards endorses Obama or even runs with him.

Obama/Edwards '08

January 30, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. LL Columbia, SC

I do hope that Edwards will come out in support of Obama, not that that will guarantee that all of his voters will do the same. They do seem to share the same views in many ways, though.
    Edwards ran a good race and was a welcome voice. Best to him and his family.

January 30, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. Tom

Hate to hear this. He's a good man! Hope he might be VP, with an Obama nomination.

January 30, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. Frank, Waverly, NY

This is going to be the worst election in our history. God save us all.

January 30, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. Mike

Please, John Edwards, support Obama. Become his VP. I could vote for that team, but not for Clinton.

January 30, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  6. Martin, PA

"Vote to support the poor. Vote for the candidate who has EARNED the respect of poor people for years. If you really care about the important issues, vote for HILLARY."

Uhhhh. If so, that respect is mistakenly confided in Ms. Clinton. She and her husband have done NOTHING tangible for the poor beyond lip service to get themselves elected. Mr. Obama has actually been in the trenches in the depressed areas of Chicago, selflessly giving of himself and his family for years. In this case, ACTIONS speak far louder than hollow words. (and "office space" in a Harlem high-rise)

I truly believe that John Edwards does care for the poor, and if so, I think his best bet would be to support Barack Obama.

January 30, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. Jim ( Independent )

I like John Edwards , he seems like a nice guy , but i really think he needs to be with his wife and family.

I really think that he will end up endorseing Obama , if he gets behind someone. If that is the case i think it will help Obama more then Clinton.

This thing really is about the "Past -vs- Future".......Clinton would be a dream come true for the Republicans because , they have mountains of scandals and Clinton trash to use against Hillary and Bill.

I just don't see Hillary as being electable in the General Election , she is a lightening rod for all that is wrong with Washington and would bring with her a house divided , and another do nothing congress.

Obama really is the best chance for the Democrats to move forward for a better tomorrow.

January 30, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. John

And then there were two.

January 30, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. Larry, Hazleton, Pa

Good Luck to you and your family. Now go the extra step and endorse OBAMA. There should be no question about who to support. Be Safe

January 30, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. carmella

John Edwards has said he won't be Vice President. Best wishes to him and his loving family.

Although Senator Obama is a beautifully spoken and inspiring gentleman, I am inspired by the years of hard work and dedication that Senator Clinton brings to the table.

I see Hillary Clinton as a professional woman who is the more experienced, more qualified candidate who is being belittled and undermined while the articulate, under-qualified man is treated as more qualified for the job than she is. I’m an “experience is important” voter. With all of the economic, military, strategic and international problems we face, experience and a record of intelligent action is the most important quality I see in the next President.

If this woman is not qualified, then, no woman in my lifetime ever will be.

January 30, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. BP

An Obama/Edwards ticket is the formula for a Democrat to occupy the White House next January. Any other make up I think will ensure the Rep stay another 4 years.

January 30, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. Kate

You're going to make a great VP!

January 30, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. LEE

John Edwards will be the next AG, Obama will make sure Edwards is a member of his cabinet.

January 30, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  14. Sal in Phoenix

John Edwards has been a flash in the political pan..If he's serious about his message, he should get back into politics and run for an office he can win..One term as Senator and a run on the ticket as VP doesn't qualify you to be President.

January 30, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  15. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

Norris January 30, 2008 10:21 am ET

Please tell me again who was the candidate that, after finishing law school, worked as a community organizer of the poor on the south side of Chicago after the region was devasted by steel-mill closings?

January 30, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. Jeanne

Edwards will endorse Obama

January 30, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. Sus

I'm glad this man participated in the conversation.

I would, however, implore CNN to include among its important stories of today, Hillary Clinton's decisive win in Florida. This is a state where no one campaigned. This is a state where general elections have been decided. Her resounding support in Florida is very important as a gauge toward November. She is highly qualified and highly regarded across the country for her experience and readiness to lead. These are critical qualities for the next President. Enough talk of Martin Luther King, JFK, and the past. The future is what is at stake.

January 30, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. Grace Melody

Let me ask a constitutional question....

Can Mrs. Clinton choose Mr. Clinton as her running mate?

The constitution seem to be silent on that, any takers?

January 30, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  19. Lucas, Nashville TN

Those of us at the Obama camp welcome all of you from the Edwards team with OPEN ARMS...

Help us defeat Hillary and CHANGE THE WORLD!

YES WE CAN!

January 30, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  20. kathe Oakland Ca

NORRIS, if you tthink Hillary is for the poor then you are naive – and you are not alone. That is sad part about it. Hillary is for Bill and Hillary

January 30, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Dan

Haircut:
    $700.00

Suit and tie:
    $2,000.00

To see John Edwards face as he bows out of the election:
    Priceless...

January 30, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. john smith

ALL YOU GUYS DOES IS TRUMPETING OBAMA ALL DAY SHAME ON YOU. I WONDER HOW MUCH ARE YOU GUYS PAID FOR THAT. ONLY LOU DOBBS IS NOT BIASED ON CNN. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED INTO WOLF AND ANDERSON COOPER.AND PLEASE FIND YOURSEL ANOTHER UNBIASED PANEL.HILLARY WON IN FLORIDA AND SHE WILL TAKE MOST OF SUPER TUESDAY DELEGATES. GO HILLARY/EDWARDS 08

January 30, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. Rick

I was saddened to see J.Edwards is dropping out, he was my second choice and a strong voice for the dire situation of the poor in this nation. Instead of giving kids well off tax breaks on the backs of all tax payers, for their college, we should first be insuring that the poor are sufficiently fed and housed. But Obama supporters care more about their books being paid for, than any homeless person, or child going hungry. Edwards was my second choice, Hillary in 08!!! Obama is an arrogant person who only ran for Senate to get the money to run for President. He can lie like a rug, (which makes him a politician, but still undeveloped and besides, he's not used to having to vote up or down on somthing, Present is his natural calling) and he did snub Hillary, he wasn't looking at anything but the ground in that photograph in the State of the Union as he snubbed Hillary, and as if to prove my previous statement he lied like a rug about it. He can't face Hillary, he's not capable of multi tasking which he openly admitted, "I have to have staff give me paperwork seconds before I am going to use it or I lose it" which is not a sign of strength but uncommonly poor multi tasking, and last I heard that's a priority in politics.
    John Edwards is a good man, I hope for only great things in his future, and for his wife whom I have the upmost respect, I am saddened she must suffer as she has and with all my heart I hope she beats her medical situation. We should all hope that and I'm sure we do.

January 30, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. w-NY

I wish him well. I would like to see him seated next to Obama in the White House! I sure hope he does the right thing and endorse Obama.. I think a lot of America would see this as a winning ticket! I know the Republicans don't want to see an Obama/Edwards ticket.. But I do!!!

Obama/Edwards.. "08"

January 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. KIRKLAND

John Edwards has been my top pick from his first run in 2004. I KNOW that John is a very smart,caring,and respectful man and one day he will get the respect and coverage that he and his ideas deserve. We will miss you John and I really hope that you don't give up on serving our country, and I just hope that when you finally get your chance that its not too late. I know he won't support Clinton, and I am like the speechs that Obama gives, but he has only been in the senate for 2 years and I just don't know if he is going to have the experience to be the Commander and Chief. But anyone would be better than Clinton!!!!
    I could get behind a Obama/Edwards 08 ticket, But I will have to hear more from Obama. I want to hear details Obama, specific major details on what you will do on a number of topics. You will have to Earn my vote!!!!!

I REALLY wish I could vote for a GORE/EDWARDS 08 but I will wait till 2012 if I have to!!!

January 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |