January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. moderate in NE

I am proud of the campaign of Edwards and wish he and his family well. However, should he decide to join a ticket, I hope it will be with Hilary. I think a Clinton/Edwards ticket would be awesome!!

January 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. colorblind

john i think your a stand up guy........ get better soon Elizabeth

Join Obama and you might just get to the White House

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

January 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Rich in Seattle

Obama/Edwards.....sounds like something America needs right now.

January 30, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Aaron

I don't see how JE can endorse Hillary when he stands for Truth and Honesty, it would be a contridiction for him to endorse her. I have confidence he will do the right thing and endorse Obama.

You're a good man John, and I hope you'll play a role in the Obama Adminstration.

January 30, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  5. Stacy Clarks, Texas

LETS GO OBAMA/EDWARDS

he needs to endorse obama before super tuesday!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Felicia

John, I think you did the right thing by dropping out. Please join Hillary as she should be the Democratic Nominee. I don't think it's Obama's time yet-sorry.

January 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  7. NObama No Way

HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. Steve Banny Toccoa Ga

Kacinich out, Edwards out? Who will the whackos have left to support? Oh yeah, there is still Hillary.

January 30, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. ddmk

Yes I think also Obama/Edwards will defeats Mccain/Huckabee or
    Mccain/Rudy (CLASH OF TITANS = CLASH OF GENERATIONS)
    God bless you Sen.Edwards!

January 30, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Justin

Im so sad to see John Edwards go. I think unlike Hillary he represented real change and not just the choice of the lesser of two evils

January 30, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. Wayne, Greenville TX

I'm disappointed that John Edwards has decided to quit the race. But I'm sure whoever wind the Democratic nomination, they will have John as part of their administration – if not as VP, then in a cabinet position. Maybe Attorney General...

January 30, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. BionicWoman

I think Hillary should offer him a cabinet position. Richardson too. But he seems more lined up with Obama. I don't think Obama will get the nomination. Hillary is a more likely bet. Edwards political career is essentially over now unless he hitches himself to the right wagon. He can do more good in the long run by going with the winner regardless of his feelings.

January 30, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  13. StopwatchingMSNBC, Rochester, NY

Has anyone noticed how much the media keeps pushing Edwards to endorse Obama? The media's bias toward Obama has actually become just plain propaganda for Obama. It's a shame the American Media can no longer be unbiased in their coverage. I never thought I would see the day that Fox news coverage of the Democratic Primary has been better than CNN and MSNBC. I can't believe I hear more Hillary bashing on MSNBC and CNN than I do on Fox.

January 30, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. Aj

Edwards, think Obama/Edwards 08!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. tracey

We can only hope that Mr. Edwards does the right thing and endorses Hillary Clinton.

Please – Do the Right thing and endorse Hillary!

January 30, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. Marisol

I do not believe that this is a time to speculate where Edwards votes will go. I know plenty of people who would swing to either side and I do not believe Edwards wants to endorse anyone. I think he stepped out both for both personal and political reasons, i.e., Elizabeth was not doing well lately (i.e., feeling tired) and he stepped out to prevent something worse within the party in the long run. I have a daughter who was diagnosed with terminal cancer at 13-months-old, and I can't tell you how painful and difficult it is to go through something like that. So I ask that we please suspend the attacks against each other, and move forward, respecting each other's beliefs and positions.

As for all the opportunistic Obama supporters here, it looks really bad on your part that you can't stop vying for your candidate for one second. I support Hillary for very legitimate reasons that are of concern to me, such as healthcare, children's education, and support for the disabled like my daughter. So it really bothers me when people try to push Obama like he is the only one who cares about those less fortunate. In fact, I couldn't find a single statement on Obama's website that addressed our most vulnerable and growing population – children with disabilities. This is an issue that I experience firsthand and that I have committed my academic and professional efforts to, and so my goal is to elect the person who will protect the future, the next generation, Hillary Rodham Clinton. God bless everyone, and take care.

January 30, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  17. lee

Sad to see you go John... We love you and Elizabeth. Seat with Obama, a winning combination. And keep the lobbist out of the White House.

January 30, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. SecondSage

Edwards should be VP again, hands down. A Clinton/Obama ticket would be disaster. Edwards is a great number 2, hopefully behind a good campaign this time.

He had a very good campaign that never caught on. No blame for anyone who supported him. Now they have a critical decision to make. And some one else made a very important point. Who's gonna referee the debate tomorrow??

I honestly think if Hillary wins the nomination it would kill the voter turnout in November.

I have to GOBAMA

January 30, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. jess

Best of Luck in the future to Edwards. He would have made a great president. I am sure he will continue to do good.

January 30, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. E. C., Houston, Texas

What a Sad Day when the very Best Candidate for the Presidential Nomination was not supported by the Democratic Party. Instead, Voters continue to pursue the cat fight between Clinton and Obama. It's also a Sad Day in Am erica when the Media Decides 'WHO should be the Candidate.' Never has the Media been so BiASED in the News Reporting of Candidates. From the very beginning, Clinton has been the Media Choice, with Obama 2nd, as well as McCain.for the Republican. Romney has had to Prove Himself and WIN to even get a small Mention in this campaign. The Media Continues To Ignore His Candidacy. This Media Bias and Inclusion as a dominating factor in the course of a National Campaign must change, just as this Nation must have 'CHANGE' in Washington.

January 30, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  21. Mac in Nova Scotia

I really hope that John Edwards will endorse Obama and that Obama will choose Edwards to be his V.P. These two men together would heal a lot of the wounds that the U.S. has suffered over the last several years.

January 30, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  22. Brian in South Carolina

I had a chance to meet John Edwards a while ago in Spartanburg, he was in a hurry and stopped to take a picture with my wife and I. He seemed like a person who was generally trying to help the country. Now he has a serious choice to make, will he support Obama or Clinton. From what I know of him and his campaign I think Obama is gonna get his support. It's been no secret that Mr. Edwards is not a fan of Hillary Clinton.
    I don't think Edwards will end up being a VP pick again though, been there done that sort of thing.
    However he would make a excellent H.U.D Secretary in someone's cabinet or another post dealing with the poor as an advocate.

January 30, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  23. P

Should be a great boost for Obama.

January 30, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  24. Turn out the lights...

I never quite understood how he got this far–even in 2004. He served one term in the Senate (unlike Obama who served several years in the state Senate before the U.S. Senate). Before that he was a personal injury lawyer.

So many of the votes he case he said that he was sorry for. Don't all those "mistake votes" show a lack of discernment and good judgement?

January 30, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  25. Jennifer

Who doesn't expect him to endorse Obama if he endorses anyone???

I think he held himself together in public better than either candidate and I'm voting for Hillary. In the debtates he got his points across and was very articulate. It is actually a shame to see him go b/c he added that extra "something" to the debates when we all grew tired of hearing Clinton and Obama bash each other. It's like he was the mediator and calm between the two.

BUT I believe his "niceness" was too nice and not what we need in the White House on either the Dem or Repub side. I wish him well in whatever he continues on to do.

Can anyone on here answer what happens to his delegates? I've never known what happens to a candidates delegates once they drop a race. If anyone knows please inform me.

Thanks!!!!