January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Bill, Richmond, VA

Actually, I think Edwards agreeing to be anyones running mate again is slim to none. He had a taste of that...no control over message or campaign decisions in the number two slot. He has more influence NOT endorsing Obama or Clinton. If they keep splitting the delegates, it's possible that there will be no nominee before the convention. At which point Edwards and his delegates become extremely valuable. Watch Obama and Clinton, beginning today, try to out do one another in adopting Edwards points!!!

I think he should now devote his personal time to his family. If he is interested in government service in the future, run for the senate again...or governor of North Carolina.

January 30, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Richard

NO Bush. NO Clinton. NO Dynasty. OBAMA' 08

January 30, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. Bruce

i am not surprised after the small chat with hillary in the trailer after the sc debate, she probably promised him somehing attractive and he may have promised her his voters in exchange. 2008 let the people decide.

January 30, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. LisaMpls

Edwards has said that he will not run as a VP again.

I would be surprised if he endorsed Obama. He disagrees with Obama's non-universal health plan, and he doesn't appreciate Obama's unaccountability, among other things. He also criticized, whether rightfully or wrongly, Obama for his Reagan comment. Hopefully Edwards will do the right thing and NOT endorse Obama, even though endorsing him would be the "popular" thing to do. I just think Obama is a one-note...change is his favorite word, but what kind of change and how?

January 30, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Paul Bermuda Dunes CA

Good effort, John. You made a difference, and that is more than most do.

January 30, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. Paul in Alexandria, VA

A poll today claims that 4 in 10 of Edwards backers are likely to support Hillary, while 3 of 10 would support Barack. It is really surprising because Edwards has frequently aligned his call for change with Barack's and Hillary is opposed to doing anything to restrain the power of lobbyists and their corporate backers in Washington, D.C.

Barack and John agree that corporate lobbyists are part of the problem. They use their campaign donations to influence legislators to give them secret tax breaks hidden in arcane language in bills that are ostensibly designed to solve real problems.

It is time for real change, change we can believe in – not shrug at in cynical acceptance of the sad reality that nothing will ever really change.

If you have been an Edwards supporter, as I was in '04, I hope you will get behind Barack. If nothing else, Barack offers a real chance to win, while Hillary is destined to lose to John McCain.

After all, John McCain can spend most of the campaign charging Hillary with waffling on the war while he can only respectfully disagree with Barack, since Barack has always opposed the war. Moreover, McCain has never answered the question, knowing what we know now, was taking out Saddam worth the cost in lives and treasure given he didn't really have WMD. He know America would not have entered the war knowing what it knows now. We also know he would have entered the war anyway.

Moreover, on an edition of Hardball with Chris Matthews, McCain said that there would be no problems in Iraq and that the Sunnis and Shiites would not fight each other. Really! Some expert!

So, not only do Edwards and Obama share a common cause in ending the power of lobbyists but Obama is the only candidate left who can defeat McCain. So, please, get on board so we can move America forward in November.

January 30, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. Kelly

Best wishes to you and your family, John. I always felt like you didn't get the attention you deserved. I know you will continue to fight for your cause and will continue to serve the American people any way you can.

January 30, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. Gail, San Diego, California

This joe guy always posts pro-Hillary comments and smears Obama.

Hillary must be paying him!!

January 30, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. trisha2

I'm hesitant to say that votes will automatically go to Obama. In fact, I'm betting that they will go to Hillary.

January 30, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. Richard

Sorry to see John Edwards go! I hope he backs Obama!

January 30, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  11. Sam

Edwards/Obama 08!!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  12. Sam

OBAMA/EDWARDS 08!!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. KC, Missouri

Now let's see if he goes with the money (Billary) or if he supports change (OBAMA). He fought a good fight but it was not his time. I hope he will support OBAMA and stays true to his message. Being 'silent' or endorsing Billary would amount to political prostitution.

OBAMA'08 !!!

January 30, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  14. Jan, MD

This is where it gets dicey! Edwards appealed to working whites. I believe those votes will go to Hillary.

I wish they went to Obama!!!!

January 30, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  15. JS

Obama/Edwards would be a winning ticket for the Democrats in the election and more importantly their combined skills will more the US forward.

January 30, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. shamous mc

As it should be.
    His consistent 3rd place would propel him to be called the 'spoiler' for the remaining candidates.
    This will make for an interesting race. I wonder if he will endorse a fellow candidate before super tuesday.

January 30, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  17. Mike, Houston, TX

Now the democratic race has lost 50% of its hypocracy. Once Hillary is beaten, the democrats will be 100% legit.

January 30, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  18. joe

DO NOT VOTE OBAMA

CLINTON 2008

January 30, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. Noreen

Montana for Obama-If oyu are casting your vote according to looks, our country is in bigger trouble then I thought

January 30, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. Mark

Vote for the candidate who has EARNED the respect of poor people for years. If you really care about the important issues, vote for HILLARY.
    Also, Obama is HALF BLACK!!!

January 30, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  21. Arielle

I'm not sure that Edwards would be interested in a VP slot – however, he seems devoted to rebuilding housing in New Orleans. I think he'd make a great Secretary of Housing/Development, or perhaps he'd be a FEMA head that actually gets things done.

Imagine – a HUD/FEMA secretary who ACTUALLY BUILT A HOUSE. Who actually nailed a couple pieces of wood together. For like, poor people!

So hopefully either Obama or McCain picks the guy up for their administration.

January 30, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  22. Nap time... Cookies later.

Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think Obama will choose Edwards as a running mate. He's too arrogant to bring someone like Edwards aboard. He'd probably string him along just for an endorsement, but then if he becomes the nom, he'll drop Edwards like yesterdays news.

Edwards would keep him honest. For people that have been watching Obama closely, you know he's been caught in little lies here and there (one of them went something like: "I did not stoke the race issue, I have no idea what you are talking about".... then Tim Russert holds up proof Obama can't deny at a debate "Oh, yeah... I regret doing that and I won't do it again"). Somehow, his lying doesn't get hammered on. I'm actually shocked that Tim called in on it since all the Media folks are falling all over Obama like he was Jesus Christ himself.

I bet he has someone with more reach in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picks Kennedy or someone else more notable. Too bad. Edwards is truly a honorable politician as politicians go. He'd be a great president... like Jimmy Carter, but better for the poor folks.

I'm sad America couldn't see how honorable Ewards is and how he would have made us proud to be Americans once again. I hope Obama will... he just hasn't really said what he means by "change" and how he's going to do it. Especailly since he's rounding up all the "Old School" politicians. If they really thought he was going to "change" something, they'd be resisting him. The only "change" we will see if he is elected is he'd be the first person of color as President. Because if a democrat is elected, that act – in and of itself – will automatically change the course of our political state.

January 30, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. Nora, FL

I commend Edwards on what he did and I hope that he throws his support behind Obama. I was once a Hilary supporter until I really tooned in to her campaign speeches. I am tired of her not answering questioins but skimming the edge.

January 30, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  24. Anita

I am sad that Edwards is out of the race. I think he is a man with a dream about helping the poor. I hope either Obama or Clinton will take on his issue. It would be a good idea if in 2008 he becomes part of either of their cabinets. I have heard Attorney General and that sounds like a good idea.

I will continue to pray for Elizabeth Edwards and their entire family as they now focus on her illness and remission. I am working on getting my same cancer into remission and I know mental focus is a big part of the cure.

Best of everything Edwards family.

January 30, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. Tom Thorsen

Edwards' departure saddens me. I never bought into his positioning himself as the advocate of the poor - what rich trial lawyer could? However, he is a very
    likable guy and I believe his time in politics will come, possibly as a senior
    Cabinet member or Supreme Court justice if the Democrats win in November.
    With him in the race, he siphons off white male voters from Hillary; without him
    campaigning these might go to Hillary - yuck!

January 30, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |