January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. brandie tampa

Norris--

Hillary doesn't CARE about anyone but HERself. Not you, not the poor, not bill. Hillary wants to be the first "something"-other than the first lady who was humiliated by her husband & a cigar.

You OBVIOUSLY don't watch the debates. She doesn't answer questions in a straight forward manner, dancing around EVERYTHING. She spends the ENTIRE debate, thinking about Obama, where Obama is also thinking about himself & how HE can & has made a difference.

Hillary is the direct opposite of Bushy. She will drive this country all right. Right into the gutter on the other wing of the house.

Obama & Edwards would be AMAZING!!!!!! Two people that actually THINK & can see. Hillary is a typical catty woman--a teenager, who tries to destroy her rival cheerleader...

January 30, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  2. Howard Hewlett Des Moines IA

What is that sound? Oh, it is Hillary's jaw hitting the floor! The fact the Edwards did this now is going to help Obama, big time. I just can't envision a scenerio in which Edwards supporters gravitate towards Hillary. Believe it or not friends it is looking like Tuesday will be a corination for Mr. Obama. Thank GOD!

January 30, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. Hillary Supporter

Hillary is only a former First Lady and Obama gets credit for being a Senator?????

HILLARY IS A SEVEN YEAR SENATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

January 30, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Lowentag

America have to change. America is not Bush father, Bush Son, Clinton Husband an Clinton WIFE. Please the world is looking at America, give chance to Obama to help all who need HELP.

January 30, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. Lowentag

America is not Bush and Clinton DYNASTY

January 30, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. K.Lee

Sorry to see you go John Edwards. You're a good man and i voted for you back in 2004. Many blessings to you and your family. I also pray that you endorse Obama and defeat the "Clinton Machine".

Obama/Edwards '08!

January 30, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Lori H IA

I also was sadden when I received the call that John dropped out of the race-but not surprised. John gave it his all and I don't believe for one minute that we have seen the last of JOHN EDWARDS. I have supported him from the start and will continue to support him in the future. OBAMA/EDWARDS in 2008 would be a GREAT team.

January 30, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. Gregor

I really hope edwards will join obama, they would be a dream-team for america, for a real change. I´m sad, that Clinton disappointed me that much over the last weeks, I´d never tought she would lead a hard-hitting and unfair campaign like this. She also seems to be fearful and unsure (though she´s still leading the national polls), I´m afraid, it would be very hard for her to stay cool against a strong and hard-hitting republican opponent.

January 30, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. Jim

That's it...my vote is regretfully going to the republicans...guess the rich and powerful are getting what they...again...

January 30, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Marianne

Mr. Edwards,
    I am sorry that you will not be on the Democratic Ticket for President. I wish you well in a VP offer to keep you working for the less fortunate of us in this great United States of America.
    God Bless & Keep you and your family in his prayers.

January 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

Stick a fork in Hillary, she's done

January 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Greg - Minnesota

Who do I caucus for now. First I thought Richardson had the most experience and was the most relevant to our nation's trouble and he's out. I just had decided that John was the next in line in my mind and now he's out. I'm honestly struggling with who I will back now next Tuesday. Following the various chats in here are disconcerting as the most vocal clinton and obama supporters do little but attack and tear down the opposition as opposed to dpreading a true democratic spirit. Hopefully they are not a resemblance of the majority of concerned democratic citizens.

January 30, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. Dudley Fernandez

I hope that John Edwards does not endorse any candidate

January 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  14. Thomas Varughis

Senater Edward did a good job. But I have a request to him that he could be a secretary of state under Obama, if he support Mr. Obama in his crucial time.
    The world is changing, Pres.Bush dropping all our money in the ocean and kept some with Mr. Cheney .These money they are using to catch votes for Mc Cain. McCain is loyal to Pre.Bush because he is getting the support from to hide all war secrets. Mc Cain is lying that war is for security. Once he was against the lobbiest and said he is going to clean washington. Now he praising Mr. Bush.
    That is the politics Mr.Edward, So come together with Mr. Obama and make changes that you wishes.

good luck

January 30, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. Michiel

So far, John Edwards has not yet made the announcement that he is "ending his presidential bid" as the headline states. Just the speculation has provided him with more media coverage than he has received to date! I for one hope he does not endorse another candidate right now. I will still cast my vote for John Edwards on super Tuesday. If all other Edwards supporters do the same, who knows what may happen.

January 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. Vancouver-Truth

I think Edwards would make a great VP to Hillary. They have more in common on the issues. Hillary has a history of supporting the disenfranchised, black, white, everyone. Go for substance over emotion.

January 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  17. kay

If you think an election is going to heal emotional wounds you're nuts. It just creates different new ones.
    We have real things to get done. Like national defense and the economy. And NOT more entitlements and higher taxes.
    Vote Romney

January 30, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Tisha Todd, Hampton, Virginia

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS FOR ALL EDWARDS SUPPORTERS:

I pray for Senator Edwards and his wife. I always admired him because his life has been about advocating AGAINST poverty. Now I pray that he endorses the ONLY candidate that can actually win in November......OBAMA!!

I am in a purple state, Virginia. Sometimes we vote democrat and sometimes republican. We voted republican the last two presidential elections BUT we have a democratic governor. We also sent a democratic legislature to our capital last year. Our state will vote democrat in November as long as that democrat is NOT Clinton.

People.......... CLINTON CAN NOT WIN A GENERAL ELECTION. Why do you think Ted Kennedy and John Kerry are supporting Obama. There is such an excitement in the democratic party right now and it will go away if Clinton is the nominee. I AM NOT A CLINTON HATER. I must admit that I dislike her more now that she and her husband have run such a dirty campaign BUT I am telling you, she can not win in a general ESPECIALLY against McCain.

January 30, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. kay

wow. take a look at the gathering for Obama in Denver.!

January 30, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  20. Lars De

I just wish they'd all get off the "change" soapbox. Name one candidate from any party in the last 100 years who didn't run on the platform of "change".

January 30, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  21. Dave T. (Houston)

Ahhh, all you cynical people sicken me. John Edwards is an ambitious man, but a very good man. He will be a fantastic member of Hillary or Obama's cabinet. He started with the idea of running for Pres. again before Obama announced and that kind of took the steam out of his bid. The best man doesn't always win, as we see all the time in politics. Look at what happened in 2000 with Gore and Bush. The best man definitely didn't win that one. So don't stomp on Edwards dammit. Lift him up.

January 30, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. Angel

In Iowa, NH, NV and SC elections,
    Edward stole more votes from Hillary than from Obama. I think it is boost to Hillary.

January 30, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. Jeremy in Phoenix

The only thing that bothers me about John dropping out is where his votes will go. If they go to Clinton and she gets the nomination that could be bad things for the democratic ticket. Too many people don't like the sight of Hillary, especially in the run for office. She will kill the presidential vote and we might end up with another four years of red. Obama on the other hand is a new fresh face (some will say inexperienced, but I beg to differ) that can rejuvenate the US as a whole.

OBAMA/EDWARDS 08!!!

January 30, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  24. Cindy

I wish CNN would have given as much air time to Edward's campaign as they did to this mornings announcement. Why does the media feel they are the ones to decide what and who we should hear? While I watch CNN daily, I sure am tired of them telling me what to listen for and then telling me what I've heard after each speech or debate. We do have brains, thank you very much. I'm utterly disappointed that I will not be able to vote for Edwards as I feel he was the best candidate running. As for who to vote for? I don't know who I will support. Hang in there John and fight the fight in another arena. Politicians don't get us any where anyway.

January 30, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. carmella

John Edwards has said he won't be Vice President. Best wishes to him and his loving family. I worked on the Kerry/Edwards campaign in 2004 and he is the only candidate I have ever donated money to.

What now? Although Senator Obama is a beautifully spoken and inspiring gentleman, I am inspired by the years of hard work and dedication that Senator Clinton brings to the table.

I see Hillary Clinton as a professional woman who is the more experienced, more qualified candidate who is being belittled and undermined while the articulate, under-qualified man is treated as more qualified for the job than she is. I’m an “experience is important” voter. With all of the economic, military, strategic and international problems we face, experience and a record of intelligent action is the most important quality I see in the next President.

If this woman is not qualified, then, no woman in my lifetime ever will be.

January 30, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |