January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Mike in California

As Mr. Edwards heads back to "the mill" that he repeatedly spoke about during his mind numbing speeches, we can now focus on electing Hillary Clinton to be our next President.

If you wish to help the Republicans win in November, then support the non-electable Barack Obama.

January 30, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  2. Brando

Barack NEEDS Edwards as his VP in order to get 270 electoral votes. Without him in the ticket he doesn't stand a chance against McCain and Omaba KNOWS it, though he won't admit it. Omaba / Edwards '08 & '12 (CMON! you KNOW they are gonna get re-elected).

January 30, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. checkthisout

OBAMA must be the only candidate who thinks, or wants us to think, that the FLORIDA votes did not matter.

If they did not matter, why did Edwards pull out at this time?

The fact is that the Florida votes mattered !!!!

And with Edwards gone, you can be sure Obama will pick up the Black votes that would otherwise have gone to John.
    That is about all he will get. from John.

I wonder what %age of the Black vote went to Obama in Florida?

January 30, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. anke

God bless you John Edwards! You will be missed....but not for long, OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

January 30, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. Scott

For those who are waiting for Edwards to endorse Hillary, don't wait too long. Something tells me Edwards was none too happy about the robo-calls that the Clinton campaign made on the eve of the SC primary to trash his record.

January 30, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Senator Edwards and his fight for the poor. I sincerely hope that he recognizes the same care for people in Senator Obama. Ultimately, they share the common goal of bringing about a new kind of politics in America.

January 30, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  7. Ready for Change in VA

This is such a sad day for America. John Edwards was the only candidate who could empathize with those who were not born with a silver spoon in their mouths. This certainly narrows our choices, and I really, really pray that a strong independant candidate enters the race. If not, I fear we are stuck with another Repulican White House.

CNN...I partially blame you for focusing on the 'story' instead of the issues. Yes, it is amazing that our nation is considering a woman and a black man for President. It's such a wonderful milestone, and as a woman, I am thrilled. However, I do not feel that Clinton or Obama are trustworthy or honest. Moreover, I feel that they are petty, manipulative, and do not represent the majority of Americans. Had you given the public access to ALL of the candidates messages instead of just Clinton's and Obama's, this race may have turned out differently. Had America not known that Obama is black and not known that Clinton is a woman...more votes may have been cast for the candidate with a hopeful plan for the future: John Edwards.

John Edwards...our prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for trying to improve the lives of those less fortunate.

January 30, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. A Southener

Hate to see Edwards leave the campaign and wish him and his beautiful family the very best.

This could be the end of an era of a true southern gentleman in public office.

January 30, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. Jack

Mr edwards plz support clinton.

I am a supporter for edwards but now i'll vote for clinton feb 5 ..Mr edwards plz support clinton.

Edwards- clinton dream team 2008!!!They are the only duo to stop republicans.

Hip hip hurrayyyy Edwards Clinton 08!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. Jerry

If the Dems want the Presidency they will vote for Obama. As an Ind/Dem i would rather vote for McCain than Clinton.

January 30, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. Michael

The nice thing about him bowing out...is that....although his votes will be split... that split will favor Hillary Clinton even if Edwards endorses Obama or stays neutral.

If Edwards endorses Hillary Clinton....the game is over for Obama.

I am hoping he wises up and jumps on the bandwagon for the next President of the United States Hillary Clinton....!

January 30, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Ba Gua

$400 haircuts while talking about the evils of poverty don't cut it with most common-sense voters.

January 30, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. paula

I think his choice is wise. I hear people making comments about
    Edwards backing Obama. If people would listen to the candidates they would realize his ideas are more like Clintons. Everyone needs to ask themselves a very important question. As a parent my most important goal in life is to look out for my children. If I had to get someone to take care of my kids would I hire the youngest , less experienced person to watch over them just because that person told me they could take care of my children, and they were the so called most popular. NOOOOOOOOOO! I would want someone with experience and a long resume. Someone I could trust. WOULDNT YOU?

January 30, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Michael

Obama as President and John Edwards as VP is exactly what America needs. They seem to agree on many things and get along genuinely well. They would make an outstanding team for the betterment of America... and even the world.

January 30, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. Ross

John Edwards is a strong voice for those who have been ignored by Washington. An even stronger voice would be an Obama/Edwards partnership. Together these two leaders could accomplish more for the country as a whole and heal the wounds inflicted by the Bush administration. This country needs strong, capable leadership that we can all trust, and an Obama/Edwards team could take this country forward and renew the greatness that America once had, and can have again.

January 30, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. paula

Hillary 08

January 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. G - Newburyport, MA

Edwards is the only one focused on the needs of Americans. Other people running are too busy squabbling and clamoring for delegates to be committed to what our country truly needs. Yes, "Washington is broken" and who is going to lead this country to make the necessary repairs?

January 30, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. Soren

Edwards is a great guy. Hope to see him in Obamas cabinet.

January 30, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  19. Susan

Wouldn't it be lovely to see Al Gore throw his hat into the Independent arena and take John Edwards as VP!

GAME ON!!

One could only hope, because at this point for me, none of the others is worth a vote.

January 30, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Minda

While I like Edwards, I think it is best for the democratic party for Edwards to leave the race before Tues. I also feel that the Obama campaign has fostered hatred while professing hope and unity. I do not understand these supporters who are so hateful toward Hillary. Never have I been so disappointed in these supporters who claim to support their candidate and yet they seem to be more against Hillary than truly interested in the message of unity and ideology Obama talks about.

The interests of this country are at stake in this election. While I find Obama's message uplifting, kudos to his speech writers, I think its important to look to the practical work that must be done to achieve the things he speaks about. Obama continues to talk about the past vs. the future, but I am more grounded in the present which is where action must be taken to insure this brighter future. We have seen a President who is an ideologue. While that appeals to some, in the end its the daily work that gets us where we want to go. Its like that commercial about the bank that says, less talk more action. I have seen Hillary in action, her efforts in the senate have been as a work horse, not a show horse, working in a bi-partisan way. I do not see the reason to hate what she has done or why hate her personally that I have seen by the nasty press pontificators or by either republican operatives or Obama supporters. I have seen her ability to attract even republican votes in N.Y. more in the second election than the first. This is then why the republicans hate her because she can attract votes. The loud cry that Hillary will unite the republicans is true, but they will be united against Obama as well. No, the real reason is they fear she will win. This is why they profess to "like" Obama, they like their chances against him in the fall.

January 30, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. JPS

If Edwards' supporters truly want to help the common man then standing with Hillary is where the should be. With each day, it becomes more and more apparent that Hussein Obama is living in a fairy tale and is not the right choice. Now it comes out that he is endorsed by Kerry, Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter. Track record of success there.....now all he needs is Dukakis and Mondale.

Go for real progress....

HILLARY IN 08

January 30, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. rick

Edwards was the only Democratic candidate I would have voted for – I for one will likely be voting Republican this time – If it's not McCain I won't be voting at all!

GO McCAIN!

January 30, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. sunlight

Ditto> Now watch Hillary here is the final battle. She is going to be calling Obama every five seconds to try to talk to him about thier past relationships and try to strike a deal with him.

Obama/Edwards 08

January 30, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. ladymercury

I was surprised that he bowed out after losing South Carolina when, just a few days ago, people were saying that he was sticking through. Either way, if he's dropped off then his supporters are definitely gravitating to Obama.

I mean, he did when his HOMETOWN state after all.

January 30, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. dee

Howard Hewlett Des Moines IA

yes, you r right!

Obama and Edwards were for real change

Edwards was against the Status Quo politic (Hillary)

Edward next Attorney General ?? ( Can then advocate to for those who need it Most)

Obama 08