January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. RO

Obama/Sebelius 2008 ... Edwards has a great spot in the Cabinet if he wants it

January 30, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Dan

The race was better because he was in it and got people talking about the issues. He'll be back, hopefully as VP on an Obama ticket.

January 30, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. Ade

How odd...Edwards works to champion the 'poor', but lives in a 6 million dollar house on 100 acres? worked for years as a trial lawyer , made a lot of money (current personal net worth estimated at 30 million dollars)? Obtain a 400 dollar haircut, buy 1500 dollar suits? It does look hypocritical...whichever way you try to view it.

I guess one is best able to 'champion the poor' when you have abundance of riches....even though one arrived at the riches by advocating laws that were eventually disadvantageous to the poor, serving to keep them in the lower rungs. Maybe his conscience finally got the better of him. Too bad for the 'poor' in the long run.

It smacks of saying anything to het elected...especially when you now regret almost every descision made in the past 5 years, essentially throughout his one term. Amazing 'flip flop'. Even Romney would be proud of Edwards........

January 30, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Vince Los Angeles, CA

You know...I really wish some of you Hillary supporters could explain to me all this animosity you have against Obama. He's a very decent man....You have to believe that all the high powered names that have come out to endorse him have investigated any skeletons in his closet THOUROUGHLY...the worst thing that has come out is this Resko thing and there has been NOTHING illegal that he's done. I can't realistically imagine ANYONE in American politics being able to spend any time in it and come away with clean hands. Obama has done nothing but speak about unity and oneness and healing America. I would think it difficult to argue with those ideals. As Americans we ALL desire these things! SO WHY THE ANIMOSITY??? I can only imagine that Obama is viewed as a serious threat to your desire to see Hillary as President which makes your attacks on him seem so incredbly childish!

I don't support Hillary because I do not believe she can reach across the aisle and get anything done. SHE HERSELF HAS MADE THIS APPARENT!! She constantly talks about "FIGHTING" the Republicans.....HONESTLY PEOPLE...WHERE HAS THIS GOTTEN US??? We have been fighting the Republicans for years now...HAS IT GOTTEN US ANY CLOSER TO UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE? LOWER TAXES?? STRONGER GOVERNMENT? GREENER ENVIRONMENT? MORE JOBS? LOWER GAS PRICES??? MORE SECURE BORDERS??

WHAT HAS FIGHTING THE REPUBLICANS TOE TO TOE GOTTEN THIS COUNTRY????

Hillary Clinton is a VERY divisive figure and will mobilize Republicans AGAINST her in the general election...I believe the movement AGAINST her will be strong enough to put a Republican back in the White House...

The only solution to Americas problems is a leader that will work TOGETHER with Republicans, Democrats and Independants to hash out plans to get these things done!! THIS IS COMMON SENSE!!

If the Democratic party throws common sense to the wind and nominates Hillary Clinton I CANNOT support the party...I will change my affiliation to Independent. And I am NOT the only person who feels this way!! THINK ABOUT IT AMERICA!

January 30, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. Kathy

Sorry to see him go. I thought there were 2 good candidates. Not we're down to one.

Obama in 20008

January 30, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. jim

As an african-american man. I greatly admire what you have done. I think your candidacy brings attention to the "two americans". I also think you are a terrific real candidate and i hope ur advocation for the poor wil never be forgetton

January 30, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  7. Terri

John Edwards: the next Attorney General of the United States?

January 30, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. Terry in New York

Clinton and Edwards are like fire and water. Edwards is sincere and honest, while Clinton is cold, and mean hearted. They will run together. Obama/Edwards would be a dream ticket. I bet they could get 65% of the national vote, which would be a true landslide. Clinton, in most polls, is losing to McCain one on one, whereas, Obama is leading.

January 30, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  9. i.t.

you know what i notice? there are a lot of people from Texas on here commenting (clinton bashing).... sometimes i wonder if they are all republicans in disguise.

January 30, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. d

Why have an election.... Media and politicians have chosen America's president .... Obama. We might as well watch cartons... take a long nap, go on a cruise, whatever. Might as well turn off the tv, computer, too.

January 30, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Matthew

It's not going to be a boost for Obama. Obama needs to get the black vote to trust him. The latest poll:

71% of white americans think we're ready for a black president

60% of black americans think we're ready for a black president

Clinton has the trust of the minorities. Obama has the trust of people who are simply down and out from a Bush presidency. Who do the republicans want to run against? I have to believe whoever doesn't get the Edwards endorsement...

January 30, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. AdamFromCanada

I do feel sorry, however, that we will no longer have endless stories about Edwards hair - clearly an important issue to US voters.

Jack, with all due respect, a republican will occupy the oval office if Hillary leads the democrats, with or without Edwards at her side. At every step, the republicans are cheering Hillary on - they do not want to face Obama in November.

January 30, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. charlotte

He wasn't pretty enough to win, what CNN decided was a beauty contest. Where did that come from. Gender bashing at it's finest? We all know females are in beauty contest

January 30, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. Jim ( Independent )

Yes Obama/Edwards is a winning ticket.

Clinton/anybody else is another Republican in the white house.

January 30, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Tracey

Face it people. Hillary is nice and experienced and honestly would probably do a good job as president but she has no chance against John MCain. McCain has a conservative base and these people will flock to the polls to keep Hillary out of the White House.

A vote for Hillary in the primary is a vote for John McCain in the general election. American men who are in the middle or independent will not vote for Hillary Clinton. If you want the Democrats to have a chance vote for Obama (hopefully Obama/Edwards)

January 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

It's a SAD DAY IN AMERICA!

John Edwards, you will be sorely missed!

The best to you and your family!

This sucks!!

January 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. Curtis

John, I had wished to cast that single vote that I have an American citizen for
    you, as I did back in 2004.
    I wish you the best, to your family and for your crusade to wake up Americans.
    Your chosen cause is not over. Hopefully ALL of the politicians, pollsters, pundits, media executives, and the public-at-large, were listening to you during the debates and many town meetings. Your cause is what Americans need to be paying attention to, working from the ground floor up is the only way you can build a house.
    Your future is just beginning–again, keep up the good fight.

January 30, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. Art, Del Mar, CA

It was a tough year for Senator Edwards, and he has a great lady for a wife. I do think that he was sincere in his caring about the poor. I wish him well, and I'm sure he'll be considered for Attorney General if the Dems can win the white house.

January 30, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. voter

Mr. Edwards should back Hillary and get on the ticket as VP!!!!

January 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. Willy

One more socialist drops out

January 30, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Demon Joe, Atlanta Gawga

I really like the way CNN terms the Edwards Campaign stepping down. John is not QUITTING anymore than Giuliani is. Why is it that CNN can put in the minds of the American people that Democratics are QUITTERS and the Republicans always "STAY THE COURSE" no matter how ill conceived?

Come on CNN you have better sense to prop up the Republican Zepplin of doom!

CNN is becoming more and more like FAUX NEWS. My reply is to simply turn it all off!

January 30, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Donald, Butte, MT

The people of this country are about to lose a great leader in this man.

Not only do Clinton and Obama need to take heed, but also McCain and Romney.

He is the only candidate of the people and for the people of this country.

Whoever is elected President would be a complete fool not to take advantage of his talents and dedication.

January 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. Concerned Voter

John Edwards was our best hope for actually changing Washington. I am SO VERY DISAPPOINTED that he is exiting the race. If he had stayed in the race through Super Tuesday he could have pulled in a lot of delegates.

I blame CNN and ALL OF THE MEDIA for focusing entirely on Clinton and Obama. Most of the time Edwards was not even mentioned in the media coverage. How could he stand a chance when the others are getting all the free media?!?!?

Now today when he is leaving, all the talking heads on CNN are admitting that he is the one who brought the idea of "change" and he is the one who came up with the first economic stimulus package and universal healthcare. Why is it that the talking heads are just now talking about the fact that all the others have taken his ideas?!?!?

So disappointed!!!!!!!!! I must say that I personally hope that he DOES NOT endorse Obama. I hope he just stays on the sidelines until a nominee is selected.

January 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  24. voter

It's not about Clinton or Obama, it's about Democrats reclaim the White House!!! Only the united Democrats and take over the crooked/slime balls Republicans currently in the White House.

January 30, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. Nan

My husband and I both voted for John Edwards in our SC primary. We feel he is the best person for the job. We will now vote for Hillary. Barack Obama is too arrogant and inexperienced for my taste. I would vote for him only if it's to keep the Republicans out of the White House.

For those who doubt his sincerity regarding fighting for the poor and disenfranchised – the legal cases he handled were lawsuits against the powerful interests who chose to protect their "bottom line" (profit) over the "little guys" (consumers) safety. He may have become wealthy along the way, but everyone deserves to be paid for their services – including attorneys.

Vaya con Dios, Senator Edwards. Good luck to you and your wife and family!

January 30, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |