January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Ryano

So Thursday night becomes the Hill and Barack show. Fell sorry for John, he's practically been campaigning since 2004. Maybe he could jump in the race for Governor of North Carolina.

January 30, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  2. Jacque Bauer

Edwards' campaign was OVER a LONG TIME AGO!

It only continued in his own egotistical mind!

January 30, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  3. KimSC

Understandable, I think he has more pressing and important issues at home. As a Democrat I thought he did a good job with his campain, but we knew early on he had no chance. When you are running against two candidates that have history making potenial it was nothng but an uphill battle all the way.

I am excited about our Democrat party this time around, I support Hillary and could also vote for Obama if he is the nominee. We can not afford another 4 years like the last 8 years, it has been gut wrenching! The burden on the average American household is to discouraging to even think about with a Republican back in the White House.

Go Hillary!

January 30, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. jean-Guy Hachey

Sen. Edwards will support Barack Obama. Obama will promise Edwards the Attorney General gig if he makes it in the White House...Stay tuned for more...

January 30, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. Thomas Cook

I am backing Obama, now.

January 30, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  6. Sis O, IA

Edwards supporters. Vote for change with OBAMA!!! Together we can still make it happen.

January 30, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  7. HillaryFan

I will miss him; he kept us all focused. I wish him & his family the best !

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. Ryan W

HILLARY/EDWARDS 08
    here it comes.. watch and see..

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  9. Roxanne NY

Great timing, good decision. I never bought the line that he has been fighting the fight for the poor all his life anyways. He got pretty rich while doing that, and that hedge fund he was involved with, bilking the residence of New Orleans out of their homes, was always on my mind, every time he mentioned that he was a fighter for the poor.

His record shows that he changed his mind about most of the bills he voted for while in the Senate, including Most Favored Nation status for China, Nafta, the war in Iraq and and countless other bills that was not ever Poor-Friendly.

I wish him all the best but I always thought that he was a phony. Now maybe Elizabeth will get the attention she needs. I wish she was running instead. She would have gotten my vote anyday!

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. Tom

unexpected departure

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. Jim Bethlehem, pa

Apparently blacks vote for blacks, women vote for women and white males are staying at home watching nascar races...

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  12. Taylor

That's too bad. Edwards really has what it takes to lead our country. I'm proud to have caucused for him in Iowa. I guess I will now throw my support to whoever the Democratic nominee is.

January 30, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  13. Johnny Peace

Why? I am not happy with that decision Edward, please, please reconsider.

January 30, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. Kobina

Congratulations to Edwards. You had the best policies. Now he will team up with HRC – to form a strong winning coalition.

Go HRC-Edwards. On to Victory

January 30, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  15. Bukky

and endorse whom?

January 30, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  16. PAE

WoooHooo!!!

January 30, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. Molly

A sad day, indeed.

January 30, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  18. Dan, Washington DC

First of all, that's a shame because over the last month or so I've come to like him much more than Obama and Clinton. Secondly, why now? Why is he quitting the day after a primary that doesn't mean anything? Why not at least wait until super tuesday and see what happens.

January 30, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  19. j-rock

That's good.... now maybe Obama can pickup his votes.

January 30, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  20. Pete

finally

January 30, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  21. Annie Midwest

Mr. Ewards, you can be proud you ran a good race – And our hearts go out to your wife, Elizabeth and children. Perhaps they need you more than your country does right now, but we know you will return to politics in the future. God Bless.

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  22. Hum

Oh Edwards, a true advocate for the common person. Hope he backs Obama and we can have an Obama/Edwards ticket. Go Edwards Go Obama.

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  23. Eugene Markelli (interested foreign observer)

Wow!, this is why one should never place a bet in politics. The dynamic can change, just like that. It will be interesting to see who Edwards endorses and who it will benifit.

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  24. j-rock

For now, I will cross my fingers and hope that Edwards endorse Obama.

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  25. Kyle Indianapolis, Indiana

Thank you for your hard work, Edwards! Good luck in the future!

January 30, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |