January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Joaquim, Europe

Hillary Clinton – Great !! America returns to the World Scene with a storng voice

Obama – ? who? – oh no, another american wild card, PLEASE people not another one.

Never the less I wish you all a good and solid government with the next president

January 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. bean counter, Motor City, MI

Today is a good day. He should have dropped out to be with his wife a long time ago. His ambition got the best of him and his political career is over.

Rudy and John both ran campaigns that focused on our fears of the bad guys. Rudy said we should be afraid of the Muslim extremists and Johnny said we should fear the corporations. They are both gone – because they focused on our fears. They were good candidates that ran on one issue when both had so much more to offer.

January 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Vince Los Angeles, CA

Mark January 30, 2008 11:49 am ET

... If you really care about the important issues, vote for HILLARY.
    Also, Obama is HALF BLACK!!!

WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN????

January 30, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Michael

Why is Senator Clinton referred to as "former first lady" when she is a sitting U.S. Senator? Regardless of how one feels about her, that is disrepectful. As for Senator Edwards, he will be an excellent running mate for either Sen. Clinton or Sen. Obama.

January 30, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Frank

Senator Edwards is a great man and has a great vision for this country. His message was never empty like those of Obama's! I hope that he will join forces with Hillary Clinton to win the White House back for Democrats! Clinton and Edwards may not see eye to eye on some issues, but if they can work together, each working to make the goals of the other a success, this nation will once again rise to its fullest potential and once again get on the track of progress and development.

January 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. Rog Evans

Unless Hillary is on the Democratic ticket as the nominee, I will vote for a Republican for president for the 1st time in my life. The Democratic party needs the person with the most experience and knowledge to lead this country forward. That one person is Hillary. Race and gender aside, we need the person best capable of starting from the first hour they are sworn into office.

January 30, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. Russ C, Seattle, Wa

Its a great loss but I believe he will continue to work for what he thinks is right. Perhaps he can do more from the side-lines.

Good luck and God speed

January 30, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Naushad Buksh

Mr. Edwards . what you did is right thing, wish you well , hope that you and your supporters will vote for Mr. Obama... This country need male to run..
    Hope Obama and you will be best team to run this Country..

I pray to God, for the best for the country...

Stop spending money on war, thing about people of here,

January 30, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. Jack, Greenville, SC

I agree with a previous poster that Edwards will probably not choose to be a running mate, but he would make a good Attorney General. And it would be very, very surprising if he did not choose to support Obama. In fact, after all he has said in the debates about Clinton representing the "status quo" and "moneyed" interests, supporting her would seem a tad hypocritical.

January 30, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. Paul, NJ

Has everyone forgotten that Edwards was VP candidate with Kerry? It didn't work then, why would it be better now?

I like Edwards, but somehow I find it hypocritical that someone who became wealthy by suing corporations would be a champion of the poor. Seems weird to me.

I think we're all missing the point that Clinton and Obama both stand for basically the same things. The question is who will be able to deliver better. Personally, I think Obama is a very insperational speaker, but that's not the main function of a president. I think Hillary has the brains and Washington know-how to get things done.

The idea of 'change' is great and I 100% believe change is required, but I don't think Obama can deliver. You can't just come in and snap your fingers and expect change to happen. It'll require a lot of work and knowing how the system works is a fundamental that'll be needed by anyone who wants to effect change in Washington.

Hillary gets my vote. Either is better than what we have now, however.

January 30, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  11. andymd

Mr. Edwards , support Hillary and win toghether the 08 US election!

January 30, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Jersey loves Obama

I think Hillary Clinton has had more than her fair share of years in Washington, D.C. to make the kind of difference she continues to promise in her campaign. She's not likable. I can't see her getting along with other heads of state. Whe lacks grace – as displayed when she left South Carolina before the primary was over. No other candidate – democratic or republic – displayed such a poor attitude after losing in any primary. She wants people to like her because she's a woman yet respect her the same as other candidates. Umm... I think that's hard to do when you constantly revert back to innate female behavior – quick to catch an attitude, crying spells, wearing your heart of your sleeves.

I'm a woman so I can say these things.

It's time for a change. America should be fed up with Washington as it has been. And while Clinton was a good President, no one wants or needs a 3rd term from him, which is exactly what it will be if Hillary gets in. I think if democrats make the mistake of sending alone to the convention, we might as well kiss the white house goodbye! I wish John Edwards and his family the best. I think he's a good guy with genuine interest in helping those less fortunate. My vote WILL proudly go to BARACK OBAMA!

January 30, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. susan

I agree with Hilary Clinton when it comes to health care and the war in Iraq, Let the people of Iraq take care of their country. We've enabled them by staying over there for 6 years. I want Iraq to succeed, but I'm tired of our young soldiers dying. They need to be home with their children and spouses. AND I don't trust Obama. There is something about his cockiness I just don't like. Anyway what's wrong with Bill being back in the white house? I thought he was a wonderful president, I hurt when he showed no morals, but it did'nt make him less of a president. I want 8 more years of the Clintons. I love and admire Hilary for staying with her marriage and making it work. How many Republicans that tried to impeach Clinton have stayed with their spouses??? Not very many. Talk about two faced. I sure hope and pray we have Hilary for our next president of the US. We need help, and she's the one who can do it.

January 30, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Colleen Baker

I'm sorry to see John Edwards bow out. He really was a spot of sanity when the backbiting and sniping between Obama and Clinton dominated the media. Which I guess was John's problem, how do you get any exposure when there are two sqeaky wheels.

Even the Huckster has gotten more press, and his numbers aren't any better. It looks like all the backroom deals are happening in the offices of CNN, NBC, CBS, and FOX. So much for the good old days of real conventions.

Good luck to both John and Elizabeth. I hope one of these media darlings finds some place for you in their cabinet.

January 30, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  15. Whose had Enough

It was the right decision for John Edwards.....I would have made them sweat it out a couple more days though. He ran a hard and the most honest campaign!

I'm still voting for you on Super Tuesday.

January 30, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. joseph pierre

Joe,
    You want Edwards's voters to go to Hillary? You must have been hiding under a rock or have lost your marbles.We need change.

January 30, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  17. Ron

Surprised to see John drop out before Turesday. I thought he would wait the 7 days and then make his call on it. Iam EXTREMELY interested in seeing what hnow happens on SUPER-DUPER Tuesday and the debate in two days. Whether you like it or not if Obama gets about 70% of Edwards support Hillary is in REAL trouble.

January 30, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. ginny

Now perhaps he will spend the time he lost being self-centered with his wife who so graciously stood by him. I don't care what kind of a president he "might" have been, his family should have come first and it didn't.

January 30, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Landon F.

alfred , thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard....democrats will vote democrat, republicans will vote republican, and independents wont vote for Hillary because she is polorizing and reminds us all of the very bad part of politics... if its Obama and McCain...Obama gains a large chunk of the independent vote and all democrats. The key here is that the democratic base is larger now because of the new voters that are voting for Change....voters that have never and probably will never vote for Hillary because she is an establishment canidadate. Think about it

January 30, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. linda in cincinnati

Even now John Edwards does not get the stage. Guiliani up stages his departure. Edwards is a gem and I hope he will continue to use his voice to be active in the war on poverty. Neither candidates in the current field are presidential they're simply "left overs". Oh well there's always 2012 but from the looks of things maybe not.

January 30, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Diana, Anacortes, WA

Not to long ago Charlie Rose asked John Edwards who he thought his supporters would move to if he was out of the race. John Edwards told Charlie Rose that he believed his supporters would move over to Barak Obama.

January 30, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. tb

Brandie...how's this? DO NOT VOTE DEMOCRATIC!

January 30, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  23. Richard from Detroit

Just want to let the Hillary Dillary folks and the OBAMA BIN LADEN folks on here that its a good possibility that over half of Edwards " WHITE MALE VOTERS" will change their allegiance to either McCain or Romney.There are about 30 people at my plant who were supporting Edwards and they told me if he bows out, " AIN,T NO WAY IN HELL THEY ARE VOTING FOR THAT BLEEP and BLEEP" rather they would vote for the other BLEEPIN REPUBLICANS, Hey!!!! now that was quoted from what they said and I had the honor of being polite as to " BLEEP" out their profanity so "NO!!!!!!" smart remarks from any Hillary and Obama soldiers here, Alright! I myself, well '" GO ROMNEY!!!!!!!!!. Hey Mormons make real good apple pie, you " ALL" should try it sometimes.

January 30, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  24. Landon F.

Mark January 30, 2008 11:49 am ET

Vote for the candidate who has EARNED the respect of poor people for years. If you really care about the important issues, vote for HILLARY.
    Also, Obama is HALF BLACK!!!

***** Another Hillary Clinton Supporter *****