January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Edwards and Obama. They are the youngest, brightest, most energetic, responsible, and positive individuals to turn America around. We all win with Edwards and Obama because positive changes are coming. We don't need a nurse or bandage, we need Edwards and Obama to bring us out of this dead end . A dead end to nowhere and that's not where anyone wants to be.

January 30, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Brad

Obama/Edwards '08

January 30, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. kate

This guy has sued even the American Red Cross and you're all talking about what a great guy he is.

January 30, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. W B in Las Vegas

to heck with VP. I want him as Attorney General.

January 30, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Hugo M., Ithaca, NY

Obama and Edwards should beat Hillary together.

January 30, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. Moses Adelante, NYC

I am saddened by Edwards departure.

It shows you that we still live and are governed by a corrupt system. We really need to stand as a people united and put stronger caps on campaign $$.

I just hope that HILLDOG and BAMBI dont go at each others throats on Thursday. Doubt it, but lets hope people.

I do support Hillary, and may support Obama depending who gets the nomination. I may vote for McCain before Obama, but have not decided that yet.

It saddens me so greatly how distorted every news source is these days. I wish I had other alternatives. CNN can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give an unbiased opinion?????
    tweaking people. I

January 30, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. ww-New York

No I think McCain will beat Hillary! He will have support of the independent voters, republican voters and some of the anti-Hillary voters! oooh and don't forget the ex-Hillary supporters (I'm sure the number would increase by November) Now with that said Obama will win some independent votes, democratic and some republicans. I really like Obama's chances better!

January 30, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Michael, Torrance, CA

I have never in my life time ever voted for any democrat for any office. But Edwards would have been my one exception. I am saddened that he has decided to give up his bid for the nomination. So now it's; Go McCain!

January 30, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Conan

John who?

January 30, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Anne-Los Angeles

I hope the best to John Edwrds and his family. I hope his supporters will support Senator Clinton. It certainly appears that they are both on the same page for a Universal Health care program unlike Obama's proposal of excluding 15 million people. Also, there are innumerable other issues that they agree upon and Senator Clinton is the one person who knows how to work and get the mission accomplished. Support Senator Clinton...and I would love to see John Edwards as Attorney General.

January 30, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  11. Mel

Well, after giving hard-earned money to his campaign and two days after I vote for him in the Georgia primary, he quits. It will be a cold day in Hell when I vote for Obama, Clinton or any republican so as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of this presidential election. I'm sick and tired of holding my nose and voting for the least objectionable candidate the two national party machines spit out at me.

January 30, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. kathe Oakland Ca

CNN – you need to update your "ticker" Edwards has already announced.

And perhaps if you stopped campaigning for Bill Clinton you'd be on the ball. Why are you putting where Bill Clinton is speaking – he is not running for anything!!! I do not understand this and I do not give a _____where Bill is speaking or has something changed and now HE is running for President.

So does this mean anyone who is campaigning for all the other candidates – dems and republicans, you will put where they are speaking too!!!!!!???????

Or is CNN so biased that they only promote CLINTONS

January 30, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Jymnast79

I wish edwards the best... i hope to see him still around nationally... Now without a question in my mind i know who my support totally falls to..

Clinton a person who knows how to get things done....

January 30, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Philip

John Edwards is great, and so is Obama – but neither of them have done half as much on behalf of poor people than Hillary. I lived through the 12 year Reagan/Bush trickle-down era, and when the Clintons took the White House, that was change, major change, and Hillary was very much a part of it. Read "The Agenda" by Bob Woodward, it's an amazing story, and she's an amazing person.

January 30, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Anne-Los Angeles

brandie tampa............are you one of the 15 million people Senator Obama's health care proposal will exclude from coverage??? If you can't answer it is because Senator Obama has NOT told anyone....ecks......seems like a Bush moment. Everyone is on a 'need to know basis'....

When I vote it will be for Senator Clinton and Senator Obama will only get a 'present'

January 30, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Bob

What Edwards needs to figureout is who has the best chance to beat Mccain and endorse them. If the Democrats lose, nothing changes. He should wait until after FEb 5th.

January 30, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Tim

Funny the "Master News Commentators" didn't see this coming. They were focusing on Rudy's departure last night....probably because they thought the Democratic contest was not real and the votes didn't count to them.

January 30, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. Vince Los Angeles, CA

The comments of the women backing HRC have me so incredibly angry!! WHY CAN'T YOU WOMEN USE YOUR HEADS??? Hillary is a TARGET for the Republicans.....if you don't believe they are going to drag up EVERY SINGLE NEGATIVE THING ABOUT BILL CLINTON'S PRESIDENCY you should NOT be allowed to vote!!!!

If you women sweep HRC into office......I'm changing to Independant....I will vote AGAINST abortion rights and NEVER support another woman in government....ever!

January 30, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  19. Sheri

For all of you who are saying that Obama's beliefs and interests are more aligned to Edwards, you should take a second look. Clinton and Edwards are much more progressive.

January 30, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  20. miki

Huge chance for the Republicans.....Edward had to stay, at least upto Super duper Tuesday. A Lady and a Black front runner for Dems, never in American history...

Although Rep. are not popular, they can be once again the Successor of Bush. (probability)

January 30, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  21. Kim

I am proud of John and was a supporter. My vote now goes to Clinton and I hope Edwards will endorse her. I think John would be a real champion of her health care plan, something they both strongly campaigned for.

January 30, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. ZELLY, Vote Obama

Vote for the candidate who is not hungry for power aswell as cryin for power.
    Florida is a beaity contest Hillary, Dont fool yourself nor your supporters.

Take a reality check, start by conceding to Obama's big win in South Carolina, u might find your own voice and heart in doing so, its not a fairytale any more. RUDE

January 30, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Dave Froyalde/Washington

I feel bad upon hearing of John Edwards dropping from the presidential race. He seems to be a sincere man. I wish him and his family the best. I hope he endorses Hillary Clinton because they have a lot in common in terms of helping the least fortunate members of our society. I hope he continue to fight for what he stands for. Thank you.

January 30, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. kay

so, now you want to kill the corporations? Where do you think your pensions are invested in.? You want higher taxes for Corps? Then you wonder why they leave the country and there are less good paying jobs. You want more govt freebies.?
    Its a ponzi scheme that ends up with all of us paying more.
    Why can't you people think things out for the long term?
    A lot can happen to this country before Nov. you better hold your water and make no firm decisions now. Enough of this emotional feeling crap.

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. June (California Voter)

Edwards, I hope the 2 remaining candidates will stick to the issues tommorow night in Los Angeles as you have.

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |