January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Marie

How appropriate that CNN sees fit to make THIS headline news today, when their malicious neglect of John Edwards' campaign (not to mention Richardson's, Kuchinich's, etc.) is a major driver of why he's dropping out today.

I wish Edwards all the best. Otherwise, there's no way I'm voting for either of the two democrats still standing. Now to watch the Republican candidates and hope the lesser evil there gets on the ticket so I don't hate my vote too much.

January 30, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. NObama No Way

Universal Health Care!

Universal Pre-Kindergarten!

End the War in Iraq!

Turn the economy around!

These are what HILLARY CLINTON will bring to the presidency!!

HILLARY CLINTON 2008!

January 30, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Mary

Al– Hillary ran America for Bill, it will be her third term then. Obama will win anyways then kick McCains butt.

January 30, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. Bendskin

Any Edward's supporter should now join Obama because both candidates have the same vision for America. Looking at the contrast between the Clintons and Edward, race can only explain why an Edward's supporter will be choosing Hillary. But I believe America is ready to transcend that handicap.

January 30, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  5. Biggdawg

Hillary issued a statement as well. Unfortunately, it probably won't be printed in order to leave the impression she had nothing to say.

January 30, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Eric

Hey everyone... let commend Mark (11:49) for bringing such an insightful point to our attention that Obama is half black. Thanks Mark, you are truly an idiot.

January 30, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Ken

Hillary President – Edwards Vice President........

January 30, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. Esme

Excuse me, but as far as I know, Hillary Clinton is not just the "former first lady”. I’m sure I don’t need to tell the best political team on television that she is a US Senator and should be referred to as such, rather than being subtly referred to as a mere extension of her husband.

With regards to John Edwards, it's sad to see such a wonderful candidate drop out, and I would love to see him serve as a cabinet member for the future Democratic President.

January 30, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Hope

Edwards really doesnt have to endorse anyone. Most of the people that supported him will go to the Clinton side. Especially as we get to see the real Obama. Thanks again for the pictures and the article. I saved both. Clinton 08

January 30, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Scott, Atlanta

I'm sorry to see Mr. Edwards go. I think he believed in what he was campaigning for.

That said, I'm glad he did it before the debate tomorrow night. Now when it's one on one, we'll see Mr. Obama fumble like a 3rd string quarterback. And all the "Yes We Cans" in the world won't be able to save him when his inexperience comes shining through.

Hillary '08
    Someone offering real solutions for the real problems we face.

January 30, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. no chance anyway

my thoughts on John Edwards: .................yawwwwn....

January 30, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  12. emotion-based reasoning

Marisol,
    I enjoyed and chuckled at your commentary on here, your reference to the terminally ill "tugged on my heart-strings." ...what a bunch of emotional garbage.

January 30, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  13. Bill

John Edwards was the only candidate who could have united the Democratic party had he not taken a large turn to the left politically. Ralph Nadar is now going to go after Edwards voters in the general election. Now I see a split Democratic party where either a percentage of the Hispanic vote or the African-American vote will sit home in November. Al Gore is the only outsider who could get in after Super Tuesday and wipe the floor of both Clinton and Obama and re-unite the democratic party.

January 30, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. AnnAloha, Independent Thinker. PA

This post was waiting for moderators since 8am this morning.
    Guess I touched a nerve?
    Senator John Edwards you rock and thank you for you patience towards the glorification of Senator Obama by the cable news media.
    So much for fair and subjective journalism...

The BIGGEST Loosers?
    CNN MSNBC and FOX
    I bet they are scrambling to get an interview…but now he can tell them…Why should I…you chose to ignore me, bash Senator Clinton and all that to Showcase Senator Obama.
    What's the old saying???
    Never Burn Your Bridges!!!!!
    LMAO

January 30, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. David

What a sad day for Democrats. John Edwards had the best chance of beating McCain in November. It is not CNN's fault that he didn't get enough attention. He has been on various CNN shows numerous times, especially the Situation Room. The main reason he didn't catch on is because most of the Democratic party is obsessed with getting a woman or a man of color elected. I think both will have a hard time winning in November. Sen. Clinton is disliked by a majority of the electorate. Blacks alone cannot elect Obama. He will need white votes and I think there are many who are still hesitant to vote for a man with mixed heritage. I know that is sad, and I would vote for either Sen. Clinton or Sen. Obama, but I fear for their ability to get elected. I am hoping that when the dust settles, they can put aside their difference and run as a team. If not, then I hope whoever the nominee is, will select John Edwards as their running mate.

January 30, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Roger from MA

CNN, why do you allow double-digit-IQ imbeciles like "emotion-based reasoning" to post here? Marisol has obviously been though a lot, and for you to allow this moron to attack him/her because of it is disgusting.

That having been said, I like Mr. Edwards, and wish him and his wife all the best. He's still fairly young as far as presidential candidates go, so I'm sure he'll have other opportunities to run.

January 30, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. BKT

I supported Edwards in 04 and again this year. Even though he's pulled out he should pick up several delegates due to early voting – maybe even enough to keep either Obama or Clinton from getting the necessary delegates -which should give him some power at the Democratic Convention. I donated to the campaign and got to shake his hand the other day. I'll vote for Hillary next Tuesday. But in honor of John I'll probably donate my time working on a Habitat house as opposed to campaigning for either canidate.

January 30, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  18. Jake, California

Oh good lord, I love Edwards. I was wishing he could go till super Tuesday or even the convention so he can be a deal maker by giving his delegates to whomever he feels would be the best nod for the Democrats.

Anyways, I applaud his current decision and wish him all the best.
    I am an Obama suppoter but I have always wished for and Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama ticket...

I hope Edwards supporters will join our Obama wegon so we can have a unified America strong for the ordinary folks, and not those with money trying to buy our country!

Your campaign may end today Edwards, but certainly, your cause and Ideas will not. As Obama puts it, we'll fight for and with you all along. I 'll do everything to get the votes out in
    California for Super Tuesday.

January 30, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Goodbye John . .

It's too bad that Edwards dropped out, but I guess it was inevitable.

The Cable News Network wants to escort Obama safely into the general election, and the motive is profit. Edwards was kicked to the curb, even though he probably would have been the most successful candidate against the Republicans.

Obama=high ratings=high advertising revenue=high profit=Lots of MONEY

Lets not let the press exploit us.

Obama can provide some entertaining sound bites, but he is not presidential material.

We need a REAL president, not just an image propped up by the press.

We don't need Obama in the White House.

January 30, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. Nap time... Cookies later.

Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think Obama will choose Edwards as a running mate. He's too arrogant to bring someone like Edwards aboard. He'd probably string him along just for an endorsement, but then if he becomes the nom, he'll drop Edwards like yesterdays news.

Edwards would keep him honest. For people that have been watching Obama closely, you know he's been caught in little lies here and there (one of them went something like: "I did not stoke the race issue, I have no idea what you are talking about"…. then Tim Russert holds up proof Obama can't deny at a debate "Oh, yeah… I regret doing that and I won't do it again"). Somehow, his lying doesn't get hammered on. I'm actually shocked that Tim called in on it since all the Media folks are falling all over Obama like he was Jesus Christ himself.

I bet he has someone with more reach in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picks Kennedy or someone else more notable. Too bad. Edwards is truly a honorable politician as politicians go. He'd be a great president… like Jimmy Carter, but better for the poor folks.

I'm sad America couldn't see how honorable Ewards is and how he would have made us proud to be Americans once again. I hope Obama will… he just hasn't really said what he means by "change" and how he's going to do it. Especailly since he's rounding up all the "Old School" politicians. If they really thought he was going to "change" something, they'd be resisting him. The only "change" we will see if he is elected is he'd be the first person of color as President. Because if a democrat is elected, that act – in and of itself – will automatically change the course of our political state.

January 30, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. Dave

I really wish John and Elizabeth the best. John Edwards was the driving force behind many of the topics of the campaign, but was uncovered by the media, and thus not given any credit.

Tahnks John and Elizabeth.

January 30, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Tony

John Edwards=Charlatan. Just another polictian, like the rest of 'em. Good to see him go. Now, to get rid of Hillary. Good luck, Barak.

January 30, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Brando

How can Edwards get an AG position in a Obama Administration if Barack NEEDS John as his VP in order to get 270?

January 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Maureen

Life long Democrat.

Tuesday I vote for John McCain!

Edwards was my only hope , otherwise,at least McCain is his own man.

January 30, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. john williams san diego, ca.

moderate all you want CNN, Edwards is still a fraud.

January 30, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |