January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Joe

Its a bad news for Obama. All the union votes will go to Hillary now. I think its going to be Hillary vs Mccain.

January 30, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. j-rock

I totally agree with you Doris.

January 30, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  3. J

give your delegates to Barack!!!!!

January 30, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  4. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

John, I worked hard for your campaign in 2004 and I'm still a big fan. Please, I beg of you, endorse Barack Obama. You were right when you said it was a battle between change and status quo. We all know, between the remaining candidates, who represents change and who represents status quo.

Good luck to you and your family!

January 30, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  5. Truethis

You and your wife have inspired us so much and you will be missed but I don't think this is the end for you. See you in June.

January 30, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. Smith Kathleen

Please john, do the right thing, endorse OBAMA

January 30, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. StopwatchingMSNBC, Rochester, NY

If only the media would have covered his campaign the way they did Obama, he would still be in the race. None the less, the Democrats were better for John Edwards being in the race. I hope there is a place for him in either Hillary's or Obama's cabinet. I hope he doesn't endorse any of the two candidates and lets his supporters make up their own mind.

January 30, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. Grace Melody

I will alway remember the advice of my grade school teacher years ago!

"A winner does not quit and a quiter does not win"

Staying around, you would have shared the White votes with Clinton; you would have clinched those votes that are looking for a change, but do not want to Vote for Obama and do not what the statue que to continue in Washington.

At the end of the end, you might not win the party nomination, but you would have accumolated enough vote to be the King or Queen maker.

Or Did Clinton asked you to quit so that she will give you the VP slot? I remember both of you had a side talk after the last debate in SC, was that the deal you made with her?

That will really be a big mistake, you have been calling her the status que and you the candidate of change, if you accept a VP slot from her; your message will be diluted and it will be evident that your message was not sincere.

Or was it Obama that you made a deal with?

I am an Obama supporter, but except something miraculous happens, the party nomination is going to Clinton and it is very likely to resolve all the fued and calm everyone, Mrs. Clinton will ask Obama to be her VP. That arrangement/marriage though awkward, is the most likely outcome and that will really dilute Obama's message of change.

We will all know in a few days or weeks...

January 30, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  9. Roye

I am going to miss Edwards....

Obama/Edwards 08

January 30, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  10. D-MT

Edwards has some really great ideas, and as agents of change go, he probably really has better ideas than any of the candidates running out of Republicans or Democrats....but he didn't have the right look or fit the right group, meaning he did't have the tangible/visible element of change to bring to the race that people seem to be honing in on right now, and the other big factor money, lots and lots of money. I really like John Edwards though and think that he would and hopefully someday will make a good president.

January 30, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  11. Marcus

Not to jump the gun or anything, but Obama/Edwards '08 would be unstopable. I think the two of them would get ample support from Democrats, crossover Republicans, and Independents. If Hill/Bill is elected, the Democrats will win in November. They are too polarizing.

January 30, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  12. Anonymous

I am an Edwards supporter. The only difference now, is that my candidate is off the table, but my platform isn't.

I will spend the rest of the race trying to convince Obama to care about the 15 million people he would leave terrorized by failing to insure them.

I will spend the rest of the campaign trying to convince Hillary to condemn the lobbyists funding her campaign and REALLY bring our troops home, not leave some or a few or one or three or four to train or protect or whatever the heck she's talking about.

I don't like either Hillary or Obama. Obama's health proposal is a failure, Clinton's war policy isn't a solution. I will not openly support either of them, but I will support the Democratic nominee against any Republican. No question on that one.

January 30, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  13. Michael Ochoa

Senator Edwards,
    Your doing the right thing. Your time will come. I commend you on your fight for the American worker and your constant battle for poverty stricken families. Who will you endorse?

January 30, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  14. Tom

He will be a great Vice President

January 30, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. Edwards

arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

January 30, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  16. John from CT

Surprised. He had said so many times ( even e-mails to myself) that he was in it all the way to the convention. I thought he would still be in at least thru the debate and super duper tuesday. But I guess those powerful Democrats - Leahy, Kennedy, etc. - talked him into withdrawing. So now he will endorse Obama and be his running mate. So much for standing up against that same old Washington politics.

January 30, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  17. Dave Diamond, Mont Vernon, NH

this can only mean one thing - that he means to endorse someone before super-duper tuesday. I can't wait to see who it is!

January 30, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. NObama

What a Nice Guy. Wish you would have done better. Good Luck to you and your family!!

January 30, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. Turn out the lights...

Thank you, John Edwards. This race is now as it should be based on the results of the primaries to date–Clinton versus Obama. No more talk of Edwards "taking away" votes.

All the best to your wife, Elizabeth.

January 30, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. John

That stinks, as an Obama supporter, I really like him and thought him to be right on the mark. Now hopefully he gives his deglates to Obama and Obama picks him for VP baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  21. Sis O, IA

We love you Edwards. Your wife is in our prayers.

To Edwards supporters. Vote for change with OBAMA!!! Together we can still make it happen.

January 30, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  22. Parallax

As an Edwards supporter this is understandable but sad. The question now is where to go from here?

I for one, will be backing Obama. Not the best but at least less corporate than Hillary.

January 30, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  23. Melissa in CA

That's too bad. But I know it is also a money issue.

He was a great voice calling for change. I hope he is made Attorney General in the next administration.

January 30, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  24. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

Fantastic, this is a great news for soon to be President Obama

January 30, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  25. May Be Hillary

This may give boost to Hillary, can pick those votes. We all know Obama won't get those any way in Democratic party, who else Hillary, who deserves those votes and will get those votes by her charisma

January 30, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |