January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. carla

don't give up

January 30, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  2. DMW

Maybe Hillary will pick up some of the votes. It seemed as if John and Hillary were splitting the Southern votes, and it is my hope those votes will now go to Hillary.

I wish John and Elizabeth Edwards as well as their family only good things.

January 30, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  3. Joe

This should help bring some anti-Hillbilly votes Obama's way.

January 30, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Ted, WA

He had the right message at the wrong time.

Good luck!

January 30, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. Huh???

C- ya......... plenty of time now to get those $400 haircuts. Hmmmm, he can't possibly endorse Hillary or Obama, after telling everyone how they sucked during the debates. Oh well, I'm sure he'll tow the party line like all Demsk, rather than endorse McCain!!!

January 30, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. Linda, Brooklyn Park, MN

...Didn't he just say like, yesterday, that he was in it till the bitter end? Geez. This makes me a bit sad.

Go endorse Hillary, Edwards. You know you want to!

January 30, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. D

highly unexpected, thought he was going all the way to the convention.... i guess it has really become a two many race for each party

January 30, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Cathy

Although I was not an Edwards supporter, I congratulate him for running a clean race and demonstrating that he wouldn't stoop to divisive politicking. I hope that he continues to fight for his populist ideals.

January 30, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Fred

Who will his votes go to?

January 30, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. WBMT

the $64,000 question. who does he endorse...Actually I got $5 on Hillary.

January 30, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. michael

Im sorry to see him go he seemed to be the only one running that actually cared about the people and how to make there lives alittle better.

January 30, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  12. Sean McM

He would make a great Attorney General.......

January 30, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. jyfranca

obama will be hurt a lot by edward departure,Its a big win to hillarybill clinton,edward could help brack in new hamshire but for now he was to stay in a race to divide whites votes with hillarybill clinton

January 30, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. tabidisamy@hotmail.com

he is not the man for the jop

January 30, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. Brent, Canada

From an outsider's perspective its too bad. He seemed to be the most genuinely likable candidate on the Democratic side. On the other hand, I realise that his odds of winning at this point are pretty slim. Better luck next time I guess.

January 30, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  16. James Miller

I truly believe the future holds a bright and special place for John Edwards. I hope he stays in politics and doesn`t become disheartened. History always repeats itself and "we the people" tend to make the same mistakes over and over. I fear the same basic human traits (greed) and economic conditions that plunged this great country ,and consequently the world, into the " Great Depression", are coming together in a " perfect storm". -That is when someone like FDR and John Edwards will bring this country up off its knees and restore true economic balance for everyone. ---If not, I fear we`ll just become a footnote in history; a noble experiment in humanity that tried and failed. -- Hang tough John Edwards and may God Bless You.

January 30, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  17. Chris

Obama & Edwards is the ticket I'll vote for. If it's the Clintons, I'm voting for McCain.

January 30, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  18. A. Harrison

Hopefully he endorses CLINTON based on the last debate where Obama could not answer to all those "PRESENT VOTES".

HILLARY 2008!

January 30, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  19. San Diego

Love you John! Please endorse Obama.

January 30, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. Alex Lotorto

I am an Edwards supporter. The only difference now, is that my candidate is off the table, but my platform isn't.

I will spend the rest of the race trying to convince Obama to care about the 15 million people he would leave terrorized by failing to insure them.

I will spend the rest of the campaign trying to convince Hillary to condemn the lobbyists funding her campaign and REALLY bring our troops home, not leave some or a few or one or three or four to train or protect or whatever the heck she's talking about.

I don't like either Hillary or Obama. Obama's health proposal is a failure, Clinton's war policy isn't a solution. I will not openly support either of them, but I will support the Democratic nominee against any Republican. No question on that one.

January 30, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. John A

Ecellent candidate has left the foray. Edwards brought clarity to the debates when he was the adult speaking directly and with a point to his conversation with the voters instead of the often confusing squable of words heard from the other candidates. He will leave a void in the continuing scaping for the oval office.
    Thanks for your effort and especially Elizabeth's.

January 30, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  22. Chris

Good decision! Now Edwards' supporters: make it an Obama victory!

January 30, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  23. charlotte

He wasn't pretty enough to win, what CNN decided was a beauty contest. Where did that come from. Gender bashing at it's finest? We all know females are in beauty contest.

January 30, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  24. Al in Wpg

Surprising, I thought he's wait till after the 5th, but glad he didn't.

January 30, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  25. ABC

Very sorry to see Edwards' campaign come to an end.

Please endorse Obama now, the only alternative remaining that does not signal a return to the status quo.

January 30, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |