January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. ABC

Thank you John. Please give your support to Barack very soon.

January 30, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. Ed

Reality is that Edwards had a better plan than Obama. Edwards was really a better candidate than Obama in general. Obama picking up Edwards' votes would mean we are going to have at least 4 years of inexperience and rookie governing in the White House under Obama. Weren't 8 years with Bush enough. Bush governed through conviction and through advisors who he did not listen to. How is Obama different. I am hoping for many things to change on all sides of this race. All I know is that Obama is not the answer. The key question regarding Obama is "Where is the Beef?" Will someone explain that to me? The fact that John Edwards is not endorsing anyone says a lot in and of itself!!

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Hartman in KC

The only thing I can say about this is that it is very sad to watch Edwards bow out again. I like him, but not as much as I like Obama. So Mr. Edwards........any chance you might run for Vice President with Obama? Good Idea Huh? I think that would seal the victory! You both want change, you both know how to do it, and you could help Obama with your experience! Just a thought!

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. Frank Chase Jr,

John Edwards has done the right thing and he should support Obama, and I think he should be the vice presidential pick with Obama. These two will have the potential to bring in votes like never before. On another note, I like McCain, but he's too old. I think everyone has fogotten that McCain has had health and the urgency of the needs of this Nation has to taken on by someone with vigor and youth and Obama and Edwards is the key to that happening at this time in America.

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  5. Ricardo Figueroa

I find that some of the shine has diminished from what CNN calls the Best News Team on TV. It has become quite obvious that not only Mr Wolf Blitzer but also to a less degree Mr. Anderson Cooper and the rest of the team have been obvious in their support for Barak Obama. The night that Mr. Obama won South Carolina, there were fireworks all over the CNN newsroom. All night everyone appeared to be in a frenzy over the outcome of the election results. Yet, when the Florida results came in last night Mr. Blitzer exclaimed that "Although Hillary won it did not mean so much since she did not receive any delegates". He downplayed her overwhelming results over her two opponents as simply a win. Not noting that she received more votes then the combined number of her two rivals. However, this was mentioned numerous times when Mr. Obama won South Carolina. It was pointed out that his win was something akin to a trounce. I don't remember the exact words, but the response was obviously in favor of one candidate over another. I can understand why Mrs. Clinton decided not to make a statement after the state of the union speech by President Bush. I too felt as she did, that the "Best News Team On TV had failed to maintain a neutral position. She felt slighted as I recognize that she should have.
    I have been watching CNN news for quite some time and always felt in the past that most of the news being presented, although slightly to the right, has generally been fair. This has changed too much by the favoritism being shown of one candidate over another. As a news team, you are suppose to present the news as it happens and leave the final judgement to the viewer. Please share your joy for the favorable outcome of each candidate as it happens. Don't exult over one and not the other. Don't fixate like your Mr. Dobbs who has made Immigration and Latinos the focus of his daily inquiries. He has done a great job creating an uproar in this country over the border issue. And yet, I don't remember any Mexican or other Latinos flying planes in any buildings. Contrary to that, a good disproportionate percentage of those killed in action in order to secure the international freedom of Americans have in fact been Latinos. Many of whom have not been "US citizens" and yet fight to defend this country in order to have the opportunity to "get in line for residency".
    Please CNN news team members, if you want to in fact become the "Best News Team", try a little less judgemental thinking and more neutrality in your thinking and presentation.
    In my family of migrants from Puerto Rico, two of my brothers and myself served in the military during Vietnam and the Santo Domingo Affairs in the early 60's. There was one Silver Star and three Purple Hearts. And there was also plenty of grief as our Biological family and Military family maneuvered through this period. We love our country and as Latinos, wish to see CNN take a different approach to the manner in which people are stigmatized. Keep your focus on the right target and stop creating so much animosity among the "American Public". The terrorist live in another part of the world.

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. Matthew

Edwards will still have my vote in the TN election.

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  7. Elizabeth

all the best to you and your family. i'm sure you'll play a role in the next administration. maybe att. general?

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  8. Johnson Blah

I liked Edwards. I'm an Obama supporter but I highly respected Edwards. I would not have minded having him as our nomination and he would have had my full support. I think this is a good time for both the Obama and Edwards supporters to unite against Hillary and her traditional approach to running the white house. Both of these men (obama and edwards) have the ability to inspire and bring out the best in us. They are both very similar in the fact that they don't take PAC or federal lobbyist money and want to truly change Washington for the millions of hard working families in our society. I wish nothing but the best for Edwards and his future endeavours.

January 30, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. Mari Fernandez, Salt Lake City, UT

God bless you, John Edwards, your message was consistent but it is not meant to be. Hopefully, you will endorse Sen. Obama, who is the closest candidate to your own point of view. My husband & I voted for you & John Kerry in 04. You would have excellent! And are.

Our best to you, Elizabeth & the kids.

January 30, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. Tavares

I hope he endorses Obama....so that this country can truly identify and show forth change....

January 30, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. Dave Wink

He should endorse the O man. Even though he'd never get the VP nod. He's basically through with national politics, and he's young. But the media hated him worse than any other candidate.

January 30, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. Stephanie

No!!!!!!!!!!! How can he pull out of the race so early, before Super Tuesday ? Even if he couldn't have won he could at least continue to put his important substantive issues – addressing the real needs of this country such as inequality, unemployment, environmental devastation, international affairs, health care – on the table and force the other candidates to respond to them!

Now we are reduced to 2 Democratic candidates – this early in the primaries! Instead of substantive debate on progressive issues, we will get bickering and flashy cart and pony shows.

Is this a real democracy? I think not!

January 30, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Bayousara

This really hurts.

Here in Oregon we don't have our primary until the end of May! Actually, that would be a "normal" time as a lead up to the November elections, but nothing is normal anymore. We began our presidential campaign about two years ago! And just think, those senators who are campaigning haven't been on the job the entire time.

I think we should insist on a NATIONAL day–one day–for primaries, and that ALL people interested should be allowed to vote for a candidate of either party. By that I mean Independents should not have their hands tied.

So, John Edwards won't be on our Oregon ballot.

Doesn't sound very democratic to me.

January 30, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  14. Seattle Sue Seattle, Wa.

I'm surprised Edwards didn't drop out sooner. He seems like a fine person but is percieved as a loser along with John Kerry.

January 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  15. Jim Mosier

For the first time in my life, at 48, I donated money, which I did not have, to a candidate who I believed would lead a "Dignified Revolution" about corporate greed and make government work FOR people like me. Instead I got nonstop emails wanting me to bleed more money for their campaign, all the while making me wonder if the authors of my candidate's campaign have sacrificed their wallets as well. Add a virtual media blackout of my candidate of choice and you can add another disenfranchised American to the growing list. Thank you Senator Edwards for giving me a glimmer of faint hope that America could be turned around and maybe even I could achieve the American Dream. I guess I'll go back to making little rocks out of big ones and when my back breaks down...get denied health care. The American swan song has begun.

January 30, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  16. Khwaty

Today, is a sad day for me; I'm John Edwards supporter. I respect his decision to quit. I hope my vote for him thru absentee ballot still counts.

If Hillary Clinton win the nomination for the Democratic Party, I'll vote for her in General Election. She and Edwards almost have an identical platform how to move this country forward.

God bless you and your family Senator Edwards, Thank you.

January 30, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. GP

Well, I am not surprised–someone is talking about Obama picking up his votes..God bless Edwards...you are a good man

January 30, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  18. Dale

Nice try, John. Too bad the clowns you ran against were the no substance media darlings.

January 30, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  19. AJ, IL

I always thought Edwards should not have been in the Presidential race. He comes across a good guy, but he ran back-to-back Presidential campaigns essentially on the same stump speech, "The Two Americas". Elizabeth Edwards has an incurable form of cancer and has little kids, so I always thought that John should put family over politics.

I wished he would have dropped out before New Hampshire Primary because I thought Obama would have won that contest. As the most vocal opponent of Hillary Clinton and accusing her of being the "status quo" candidate in the Democratic race, he should endorse Obama if he truly believes in change. I figured that he would drop out but I was figuring it happening after Feb. 5th Super Tuesday.

Good luck to Mr. Edwards and family!

Obama in '08

January 30, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  20. Bayousara

Roxanne, please documentyour criticisms, particularly the one about

".......and that hedge fund he was involved with, bilking the residence of New Orleans out of their homes, was always on my mind, every time he mentioned that he was a fighter for the poor "

Huh?

January 30, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. mike

"Former First lady..."? How about: "Senator Clinton"? The same respect you accorded Obama. CNN...showing your true colors.

January 30, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. Thomas

Bukky – And endorse NO ONE. After how these two have acted like such children the whole election, getting free spotlight for being a woman in clintons case, and being black in obamas and using it to act like spoiled BRATS. This feels more like watching paris hilton throw hissy fits than a presidential primary. And the whole time Edwards acted like an adult and actually discussed issues/answered questions while the other two squeeked squawked and squabbled.

January 30, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. Yemi

Wow!!!... Tomorrow's debate will definately be interesting now!!!!

January 30, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. Norris

Vote to support the poor. Vote for the candidate who has EARNED the respect of poor people for years. If you really care about the important issues, vote for HILLARY.

January 30, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

Edwards tried to help the disenfranchised

They don't vote