January 30th, 2008

Edwards ends presidential bid, calls rivals

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/30/art.edwards.ap.jpg caption=" Edwards is getting out of the White House race."] (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards is dropping out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, CNN has learned.

The former senator has told top advisors about his decision. It is expected he will announce it at a speech in New Orleans, Louisiana, at 1p.m. Wednesday.

Edwards has trailed former first lady Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the early primaries.

Full story

- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, John King, and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: John Edwards
  1. Lynda West Chester, PA

I'm sad to see him drop out although it is reallyhis only option at this point. Hope to see him as a big part of the next administration. now he can take some much needed time to spend with is family. The only good thing about this is that it makes my decision to back Obama very easy. I hope Edwards backs Obama.... they would make a great team.

Obama/Edwards '08!

January 30, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. Todd

Too bad for democrats. He is the only hope to beat out a republican. Democrats voting for Obama and Hillary are only fooling themselves. They are not thinking of the bigger picture.

January 30, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. sharp

Well CNN and the rest of the main stream media you did it, don't you feel proud? No coverage to speak of on his campaign and if he was mentioned it was about a stupid hair cut and his big house, you didn't have much to say about McCain and his "Lesser human beings" comment which might have been for the media but did include all of us. So now who have you been told to put in the white house by the big money guys? not much reason to vote with the election already bought and paid for and decided. A sorry day for the "lesser humans" in America.

January 30, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. Al

John Edwards is a great person and he truly cares about people. Hopefully he will back Obama. It would be great if he could join Obama and be his vice presidential running mate. They are not that different and would work together well. If hillary wins it will be Bill Clinton's third term. Bill's ego is to big to let hillary run America. Edwards PLEASE JOIN OBAMA.

January 30, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. Jonathan in Chicago

Mr. Edwards ran a decent and honorable race; he is a dedicated advocate for americans and a good man. While I was not supporting his bid for the presidency, I respected his positions and platform. I wish him and his wife Elizabeth all good things.

Edwards has run a good race, is a good man, and deserves our respect.

January 30, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. Shirley A Smith

I for one wish John Edwards would reconsider,and not drop out. I am 52 and have been voteing since I became of age to do so. I can not stand behind Clinton or Obama and vote only dem. so this may be my first election that I won't vote in. John Edwards has been the only canidate that seem to be listening to the people.
    Clinton is just old politics and Obama doesn't know enough yet and will end up old politics as well because he will be getting advice from old politic people. I had hope that John Edwards would stay in the race because he is the most grown up in the race. My heart and prayers are with him and his family and hope that he will reconsider.

January 30, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Love You Edward

Now Obama Can have all the Black votes he wants. This is a good news for Clinton

January 30, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. David S., Chicago, IL

John – Thank You!

January 30, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Ada

What is going on?

January 30, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Christine

I'm sorry to see him go. So that now puts me firmly in the Obama camp as my remaining Democratic choice.

Thanks John for your efforts. I wish you well on your future endeavors.

January 30, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Al in Wpg

did you really need three writters for this story?

January 30, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. L in Florida

Good luck John. My prayers remain for your wife's health. Now that i know you are not in the race for president, Hillary will get my vote, and i hope you will endorse Hillary. I think she is closest to your cause for the poor then Obama.

January 30, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. maynard

I AM SORRY TO SEE JOHN EDWARDS LEAVE.HE WILL MAKE OUT OKAY.. MAYBE THERE IS STILL A PLACE IN THE ADMINISTRATION, I HOPE ITS BARACK OBAMAS NOT HILLARY CLINTONS

SHE IS NOT PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL AND TO HAVE BILL AS VICE PRESIDENT. WAKE UP AMERICA

January 30, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. Jeff, Houston, Texas

I can only hope some of his goals regarding the activities of corporations is taken up by the remaining candidates. We needed him speaking out about corproate America, since they are as big a threat as any terrorist..

January 30, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Noreen

why is it taking so long to post my comment? Several of my comments last week never got posted. They weren't against the rules.

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Liz

Edwards supporters join Hillary. She will bring this country back. She is the only one running who can...Don't trust your vote to a novice or puppet for old politics (with a new label).

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. K,FL

Now Super Tuesday looks a bit clearer.. the Edwards Votes will go to Clinton.. and Edwards Will Endorse Clinton, Super Tuesday will now decide a clear Nominee.. which will be Hillary Clinton!

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. gene

I am a Hillary Clinton supporter and I do believe that John Edwards is a good man and believes in what he has been preaching. Politics being what they are, I also believe that Obama and Edwards have been double teaming Hillary since the early debates. Now its going to be one on one. Hillary has experience and knowledge of world affairs and is ready to start on day one. The other candidate is a rookie with little experience and almost no knowledge of world affairs. Last, we need to set aside race and gender and vote for the most qualified person.

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. dn

funny, isn't this the guy who on tuesday night in florida, said that he was going to stick it out, for the voices of the poor and such, the next day he's saying that he's dropping out? i guess when the going gets rough...

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

At least he outlasted Kucinich.

January 30, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Abi

Come on, Edwards that so soon.. but very nice campaign run though!!

January 30, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. Observer

LOL ... I remember CNN reporting on how he stated he was "in it until the end," not that long ago.

I agree with the comment above by "Roxanne NY," he always was a big phony – playing up to the audience, playing up to the political pundits, playing up to the congressional leaders ...

I actually got a kick out of Cheney spanking his adolescent butt in 2004 during their debate (even though Cheney is a Dark Lord of the Sith).

God help us if we have to see Edwards again in this race.

Go home Edwards. Good looks and wishy-washy stump speeches bore the hell out of most of us and won't get you as far as you'd like to go.

January 30, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  23. Rose

Hopefully, he will support Hillary!!!!

January 30, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. AJ

What a shame. He would have made a splendid nominee.

January 30, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. Deb

I would imagine that John Edwards would have been very upset about the "slum lord" connection to Obama (even though the media didn't pay much attention to it – it was clear Obama benefited from that seedy connection). I believe if John and his supporters really care for poor people – Hillary will be the best choice.

January 30, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |