January 30th, 2008

Schneider: Common sense talk on stimulus ideas

Huckabee is still speaking in a language ordinary people understand. He communicates, and his infrastructure project makes sense. Most voters are pretty cynical about the rebates. They welcome them, but don’t think they’ll make a big difference.

Romney’s response was also sensible – infrastructure projects are great, but they’re too long-term. They won’t solve our immediate economic problems.

Related: Watch Romney and McCain debate the economy

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Jeff, North Dakota

CNN is not letting the candidate with common sense speak. This "debate" is a joke.

January 30, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. Brandon, San Antonio

Romney knows his stuff! Romney for 08!!!

January 30, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. Mike

And how to pay for them?

Stimulus needs to be not a one-shot deal, but continual. That's why getting rid of the income tax is the best stimulus. It's continual and it's 20-30% each paycheck.

January 30, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. Bonnie

Finally Huckabee is getting to be heard. When heard he makes sense!

January 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. Menlo Bob

Highway spending projects are determined by states–even interstate highways.

January 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. Twinkle Toes Mulligan

The "stimulus" is a joke. It will not help anybody but the politicians who are up for reelection this year.

Most people will not be paying bills OR buying US goods, they will be buying goods (mostly made in Asian countries) instead.

January 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. Sonia

Please allow Ron Paul and Huckabee to speak. They are the only two that make sense.

January 30, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  8. Shelly

Romney's plan to fix the economy overnight is absurd, it didn't get in this shape overnight and therefore shouldn't try to be fixed overnight.

The fact that mortgage company's are stupid enough to loan money to people whom they know can't pay it back, doesn't constitute an emergency be set in place by the rest of the nation (people who can pay their bills) to bale their butts out.

January 30, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. Sonia

Pay for US Projects by taxing China and other Asian countries for their imports to America. Raise their fee's and taxes on items exported to the US. Bring our jobs home.

January 30, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. Claudia

Thank you, Bill, for evaluating Huckabee with an open mind. I'm tired of everyone swinging at him because he has out-of-the-box suggestions and speaks directly, challenging the party status quo. I'm tired of my Republican party not representing my views.

January 30, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  11. John

Wake Up America China, Japan and the UK will not fund your wars and consumer spending for ever. Its belt tightening time folks

January 30, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Mary

It's seems by the debate CNN considers it a two man race. Huckabee seems to be the true conservate, not the two front runners. When Huckabee was allowed to talk he made sense.

January 30, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. Ron

I thought Romney hit it out of the park tonight...and according to the audience response...they agree.

Romney did an excellent job confronting McCain on his attacks. He made McCain look like all he is about...using the Washington DC playbook to attack your opponents. I thought it was outstanding when he pointed out that Washington politicians will throw out a lie so that it circulates within the media and at some point is either questioned to be true or is accepted as true. Romney's conclusion is that this is why a career Washington politician usually fails to win the Presidency and why Governors of States are usually elected for the Presidency.

McCain tried 8 years ago and ran on: "vote for me I'm a POW". Now he's running on: "vote for me I staked my career on supporting the war in Iraq." As a veteran myself I feel that McCain is disingenuous and PATHETIC!!!! McCain should retire; take his dual pensions and have a nice rest of his life.

Huckabee is not Presidential. Thinking of him as Commander-In-Chief is truly scary to me.

Ron Paul is simply a non-factor. He is a nut-case similar to Ross Perot's..."I'm crazy".....

Too bad Guiliani pulled out...I was really hoping for a stronger run...I was ready to vote for him...however he disappoints me that he is backing McCain now.

Bottomline: My vote today would be for Romney.

January 30, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  14. Marti, San Diego CA

Common sense response from Huckabee? Huh?

Romney clobbered him on this by correctly pointing out that infrastructure projects take way too long to benefit the economy and really only affect the area in which they are undertaken.

Once again, Huck is trying to play to the average man but he simply doesn't know enough to be correct. Sorry. Nice guy. Great speaker. Has some good values. Witty as they come....but nowhere near presidential material.

January 31, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |