January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. larry buchas, new britain, ct

Looks like that John Kerry endorsement is paying dividends! All you Hillary supporters are either cheap or not confidant in her campaign.

These contributions show the desire of the people! Jump on the train before it's too late. This steamroller is heading to a town near you!

January 31, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. Ellie, Ca

Clinton has been working hard on the campaign trail, speaking to real people about real issues that they care about and how she plans to implement her ideas. She's been working tirelessly to get her message out, but there is rarely mention of it. She is running a clean campaign, trying to rise above the dirty political flyers that Obama's people have been circulating in Super Tuesday states, and to combat his distortions and lies about her record. Not one thing about her at this site so far today, but here is this big hullabaloo article about how much money Obama received in January. Why, do we care about this? Why doesn't CNN save some of its ink for when Obama finally states a clear position on an issue and gives specifics about how he will achieve his high-minded goals?

I doubt that CNN will post this. Most of my messages never make it. CNN has proven it definitely doesn't like opinions that are pro-Hillary.

January 31, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. John, Tabb, VA

Hillary does not represent the future of America, nor my generation. She is old news and electing her would be stepping back in time. I do think plenty, I read plenty, and I know that we cannot afford to not elect Obama. He is an American gift.

Donating another $100 to him now.

January 31, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Enraged

Alice,

If Florida Democrats were so concerned about having their collective voice heard, they wouldn't have violated DNC bylaws. Go ahead and vote Republican...I highly doubt it will matter much. You need to look at the collective demographics of the state. As a Utahn who votes Democrat, my single vote means little to nothing in one of the reddest states in the country. On that note, let me find the world's smallest violin so I can play you a sad tune while I shed a single tear. As soon as you're done throwing your infantile temper tantrum, perhaps you can join us adults in the real world in accomplishing what needs to be done: electing a Democrat in 2008.

January 31, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. whatsitToyou

Good for Obama, his message is a good one, I just worry a little about his experience, but I would vote him over Clinton or McCain any day!

January 31, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Gene in Texas

Obama rocks! My two little kids listen to you all the time. They told me what a terrific and talented orator you’re.

TEXAN LOVES YOU!

January 31, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. southerngirl1

I donated before, but will be donating another 20.00.

Please God, let him win.

January 31, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Kehin

This dolar figure says something extraordinary. It shows how much the message and the personality of Obama resonates with the people. He is the only true candidate of change. A change from business as usual. He will restore the reputation of this great nation. Hope that peole will go out to vote for him so that he will not be the best president that never gets to power! This is the time for a real change.

January 31, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. OBAMA Forever!!

The tide is a changin' folks! Hillary is losing her grip in historical fashion. Check the latest poll in Cali on pollster.com

Here come the OBAMA surge, people are realizing that we have a WC on our hands. What is a WC you ask? That's easy – a World Changer. Obama has the presence to rise above anyone and anything and change this nation and this world.

THINK about how many more people around the globe will listen to him versus a bush or hilliary. He represents the true dream of america – that a hard working son of an immigrant raised in the heartland can indeed unite so varied a people in one cause – the cause – to be better than they can be separately and work together for a better tomorrow.

He will not only inspire us but inspire the world to believe in America again. Can we even put a price on that?

January 31, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. cnn=obama

Cnn, I am a fan of your network and have been an avid watcher for sometime. But, over the last 20 days I have done a little poll. In 18 of those days, you have given Barack more positive press coverage than Hillary Clinton. 18/20 = 90%.

Today, 2 for Barack.

Barack raises 32 million.
    Hulk Hogan's Endorsement.

Of course, I guess you forgot Hillary has out raised him thus far, but alas, that is not worthy information b/c it is put Barack in the best light.

I will be back tomorrow with an update.

January 31, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. Paul, NJ

So does this mean that he can now buy the election?

January 31, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Brian Metzger

Obama has brought so many fresh faces and so much new hope into the electoral process, it would be a real shame if the establishment candidate (Clinton) wins.

January 31, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Adam

Anderson, please keep the Clintons honest, lord knows somebody needs to.

FIRED UP!!!

READY TO GO!!!

January 31, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. lorraine

Oh my God, why isnt that money going to somewhere it will do some good, like Health care, this is getting to be a crime.

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Bonnie O., Raleigh, NC

Way to go, Barack!

YES WE CAN!

Obama '08!

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Daniel

Is Obama-mania similar to Britney-mania?
    Seems about the same.

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Will, New York

"If we were attacket by terorists again, would Obama vote "Present"?"

Sadly, you probably think that makes you sound clever.

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. Nobama

Who trusts Obama campaign anyway. Spin spin spin... They're desperate because they realize now they're waaaay behind Hillary. The only thing they can do is to make a fuss on the media. And CNN is their buddy because it gets revenue from Obama's heavy commercial.

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. vtg60

I too, am one of the many people that are, for the first time, sending money to a political campaign – Obama's! This is the first time I put my money where my mouth is – I truly believe in Obama, and he is the most likely candidate to be elected in the general election – my energy, money, and prayers are for Barack Obama.

Vicky in Texas

January 31, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. Nextprez

Obama will win! Yoo Hoo!

January 31, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  21. DON

YES ITS HURT TO NO HOW BIAS CNN IS WITH THERE DEBATE
    GO OBAMA THEY CANT STOP YOU TONIGHT!!

January 31, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. Patrick, Chicago, IL

To Martin Lyons,

If Bush wanted to invade Iran, would Hillary vote for it and then say if she knew better she wouldn't have, so that makes her right, right?

January 31, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  23. VeryConcerned

I feel today's Obama is more like 00's George Bush, somehow media just fell in love with him just like they did in 2000. And look what we got at the end with Bush. I hope history won't repeat itself, and I had no idea why the media is so biased against Hillary, and ignore any issues/problems that Obama had before. For one, speaking of speeding tickets he got when he was at Harvard, he chose to ignore them until a few months before he wanted to run for the president. Why it took him so long to do a regular law-biding citizen would have no problem to do at the very beginning? I think this speaks for character. Go figure what would happen if he really becomes a president.

January 31, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  24. Amy R.

A donation to the Obama campaign is an investment in change we can BELIEVE in. It is an investment in a new America that is not run by self-serving politicians who owe their special interests. YES WE CAN!!!

Obama '08

January 31, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  25. Peace

If other candidates had had a system like Obama supporters of donating small amount to their candidate and we know the total donation for a period of a month, that could have been a very good indicator of how the nomination will go even more accurate than the Polling.

January 31, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |