January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Alex

I hope Obama gets the nomination, he is the only one who can give Al Quiada a chance at rebuilding our empire.

January 31, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Kathy

Funny, after reading all these comments, I noticed one thing. Obama supporters are for the most part upbeat, positive and hopeful. The Hillary supports are full of negativity and anger. They sound similar to the tone of the candidate they support don't they?

I donated today for the first time. First time since President Kennedy that I felt there was any hope for the future of politics

January 31, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Elizabeth

Alice–What does that have to do with raising money?

Yes, we can!!!

January 31, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. SONIA

wow thats impressive
    but does that change my mind into voting for him noooooooooooooo

money has nothing to do with it

it could mean he is got more renzko on his side

January 31, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Midwest4Obama08

I am in what you call the bible belt, a true RED state where you vote Repulican because daddy said so. Where we never cheer for the football team with a black QB. Where we are so out of touch that the N word is just the legal discription of a black man/woman. I have been changed and motivated, my wife, my parents my whole family. There is change in the air and change is about to come and am getting on board coz I just got me a ticket. For the 1st time this 60yr old from rural IN is voting Obama so is the whole clan. Out with the old in with the new.
    I got a ticket and it says OBAMA08!!!!

January 31, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. I Gave

I gave in January. First political monetary contribution ever. Then the Obama campaign started sending me all sorts of emails about issues and about the status of the campaign etc. One email profiled a volunteer whose story moved me so much that I tracked him down and sent him a personal donation as well. I feel like that is an example of the power of Obama. He is able to lead in an entirely new way. It's not just rhetoric.

Signed,
    A former Republican

January 31, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Jeff an Independent

I've only donated to three campaigns in my life: Ronald Reagan, our homestate conservative Republican Senator – who like Obama values leadership above partisanship – and recently Obama. I'm one of those 170,000 and VERY proud to be. Count on more when it is needed!

January 31, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. True Patriot

It's all lobbyst money you fools. So is clintons.
    Why do you think credit card interst can go to 29%, cant just make the minimum payment anymore.

Look at their VOTING RECORDS you bafoons, then look at Ron Pauls.

You are sheep and following the media BS. Look at the voting records and compare them or shut the hell up.

January 31, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. monfrere

excellent. good job.
    you are my president no matter what

January 31, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. stan pitts pa

obama yes WE CAN! CHA-CHING I JUST DONATED MORE MONEY TO OBAMAS CAMPAIGN, AT LEAST WE KNOW HIS CAMPAIGN FUNDS COME FROM AMERICANS, IN SMALL AMOUNTS $25, $50 $100, HE HAS RAISED THIS MUCH aMERICA THIS IS OUR MAN! OBAMA 08!

January 31, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. Mrs Tucker in Ohio

I'm very happy for OBAMA, He will make an outstanding president of the U.S.
    He gives hope for the future. It's time to turn the page on the old time hard ball politics.
    This talk about conservatives and liberals. Its all about the economy, foreclosures, jobs, the war that should had never started. Our children given opportunties for better education and to prosper in science and math. It's time for the good old boys to get ready for CHANGE.
    I'ts been a long time since politics has shown some hope, and integrity from a politician as Obama has shown to this country. He makes you remember the John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy and Dr. Kings dreams and hopes for a change for all people. He has picked up the torch from where they left off.
    Finally we have someone who can make a difference for ALL the American people.

January 31, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. Kenny Change

he's not ready to buy the election is the people that have trust inhim that donate because is the person we need now

January 31, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. Jax

I am proud to be one of the first time donors!!!!! New York loves you Obama!

January 31, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. KEA, GA

Since Hillary won by a lot in Florida, CNN stopped to post anything about her. Is CNN in shock? Hey CNN (Obama Network), you will be even shocked next Tuesday. People who care about issues are for Hillary!!! We the people will show you our power.

January 31, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. David S., Chicago, IL

This says it all..

Lobbyists Contributions for 2008!
    Hillary Clinton (D)

Mike Huckabee (R)
    $6,964

Tom Tancredo (R)
    $250

January 31, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. Misty

Yeah! I am one of the donors- Drop by drop you can fill an ocean. 25 dollars here and 25 dollars there amounts to millions.

Obama 08: Oh! yes I have a new bumber sticker with Obama 08–
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Obama

January 31, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. True Patriot

You people refuse to look at the voting record of Ron Paul, if you did you would see a clear 20 year history of voting in favor of the public.

Just how clueless are you, what are you doing voting for who is most popular, that is how you got bush in your face for 8 years.

LOOK AT THE VOTING RECORDS OR DONT VOTE

January 31, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. thomas

Obama will be defeated easily by MCCain so the raised money will be wasted by the donations of Obama supporters. They will regret about it in November.

January 31, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Captain America

LOL 32 million dollars in a month???

I guess Obama just got bought and paid for.

January 31, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Rob from Phoenix

I am a republican convert. Tired of the old party ways. OBAMA is our future we must sieze this opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday more than 13,000 people attended the obama rally in phoenix it was chilling the diverse crowd that attended.

January 31, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Jim Lunsford, Chicago IL

That's an average of $188 per donor. Overall, it would appear to be the average Joes who are supporting Obama. I believe that is a good sign. Any power we can remove from corporate hands is a good thing.

January 31, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. Scott

Barack Obama just raised $30 million from everyday Americans.

Bill Clinton just raised $30 million from a strip miner in exchange for endorsing his raping of an Eastern European country's environment.

Hmmmm...

Ardent Clinton supporters keep asking "what is the change"? Well, there's a lot more to it than this, but that's a start.

January 31, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Great for Obama and all supporters. Obama's fundraising for the month of January is just an example of more people expressing how they have become inspired to help make our country the great nation it is.

January 31, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. robert

It's nice to see Obama putting you CHANGE to use with the help of corporate America and Obamaganda he will bring the cheapest fairy tale ever told to light.

January 31, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Tim

"Yes We Can' sounds like a mega-church slogan. And we know what some of these mega-churches are about. Money and control. I don't want this kind of leader.

January 31, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |