January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. True Patriot

GOOGLE THE BUILDERBERG GROUP

Obama is on the committie of the CFR and has attended a Builderberg Meeting in direct violation of the U.S. LOGAN ACT, so has clinton.

You people are idiots. REVIEW VOTING RECORDS OR DONT VOTE

Go vote for Britney spears

January 31, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Rick, Maryland

Hope he saves some for when he let's us fall deeper into a recession or even a depression.
    The man gives great speeches but his ideas have no meat, Hillery's do.
    Maybe he can afford an air mattress so it will soften his his fall along with
    the economy.
    Most of the exit poll's from South Carolina showed over 80% of people say Hillery has the experiance, less than 15% say Obama does.
    Good speeches don't get the job done, experiance does.
    These people are voting with there heart's not there brain's.
    Dream on while more people loose there home's or John M win's, which
    would be better than no experiance.

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Smile

I'm proud of the fact I donated to Obama!

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. I'm just saying

Maybe the strip-miner who's gutting the environment in Canada thanks to having bought Bill Clinton for $30 million can help the Clintons build that bridge backward when he's doing raping and pillaging the landscape in Europe.

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. Cleveland, Ohio

I never gave money to any candidate or election before.

But I gave to Obama.

Obviously IM not alone ..not by a long shot. Obama is on the rise. Clinton is trying to just keep her head above water and in the news.

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. monfrere

may god bless this nation, fore a star is rising againthe lead this country in the right direction

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. brian

Here's something: I'm a 30 year old, white, educated, Liberal guy. I teach yoga. I don't make a lot of money, but I do pretty well. I've always voted Democratic, but
    if Obama were to win the nomination, which I don't really think will happen, I would cast my vote for McCain. We don't need a teen-ager who likes sermons. We need a tough, intelligent politician who can pull our country out of its slump.
    We're in a deep hole, and Obama won't have the first idea how to pull us out.

January 31, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Basquale

Cool! At least Obama is fighting to be the next President! Hillary just can sit back cause people vote actually for Bill. And another thing...please can somebody explain me this Superdelegates thing? In your Constitution it says that all human are equal.
    Wow!
    So the vote from Superdelegate Bill Clinton counts a thousand times more than the vote from a struggling New Orleans citizen! I get your Democracy now.

January 31, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. Jack

Obama is not electable in America – remember this blog in November 2008! You folks are giving the White House to the GOP

January 31, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. ali

he is great guy, and will be good president

January 31, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. Tim

I am also a republican that has been frustrated with the garbage in the republican party... the debate last night seemed to be just a gripe-fight between Romney and McCain. I wished that Ron Paul or Huckabee would have just gotten up and said that he has better things to do than to sit and listen to them two just fight with each other.

I have thrown my support with Obama, because frankly Clinton scares the crap out of me! She always seems to have a fake smile on her face and there seems to be something mysterious and shady about her. Oh, and I don't want a Bill-Hilly presidency. God help the vice president, if she gets into the White House.

Clinton supporters.... where do you hide? I have not met a Clinton supporter on the street yet! Why do you throw your support to someone with a shady past? Obama won't dare call her out because he is actually trying to run a clean campaign and Clinton would spin it as him trying to throw mud. 35 years experience.... seriously? Some of that hasn't been clean (Wal-Mart, etc).

Isn't it strange that noone is talking about the New Hampshire rumors that Kucinich was pledging his own money for a recount, and now it has gone away and he couldn't come up with the money. I heard Obama won mostly all the paper ballots while Clinton won mostly all the electronic ballots (The paper ballots were used in the rural, less populated areas while the electronic was used in the urban, more populated areas).

January 31, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Gayle

I would like to see a listing of names and amounts of each contributor. Bet that would be interesting.

January 31, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Professional in North Carolina

Everyone has the right to their own opinion. Read this clearly . . . . .there is no one candidate who has all of the qualities that are needed to be president. In fact there is no one human alive perfect enough to do anything. we all have flaws and have made mistakes. I believe however as, do millions of Americans that the country needs someone who will listen, who is humble, who is respectful, who is thoughtful, who is concious of the issues facing everyday americans. there is something to be said about a MAN who can stand in the midst of the adversity of a presidential campaign with the demeaner of Mr. Obama. If he can withstand the back-bitting, tatteling and whinning that is going on in this vicious campaign then I do not even question the resolve he will use when handling the major issues that this country will face when he is president. I began voting at the age of 18 and have continually done so in ALL ELECTIONS.

BARACK OBAMA DOES NOT HAVE TO CONVINCE ME ONE BIT! HE HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO HAVE MY VOTE AND HE WILL GET IT!! GOD BLESS HIM, HIS FAMILY AND THIS GREAT UNITED STATES!

I LOOK FORWARDED TO WATCHING HIM BEING SWORN IN AS OUR COMMANDER AND CHIEF!

January 31, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. marge

Has it been noted or even understood that Hillary won the Forida votes of the voters that voted early???? Are you Hillary supporters not informed or just in denial?
    The 'real time" votes in Florida had Obama ahead.
    Many voters in Florida have said they regretted their early vote for Hillary.
    Hillary is begging people in states where there is an early voting system in place, to please vote for her and please vote early. What is she afraid of????

January 31, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. Jay

"Send an email to the DNC protesting their bone-headed move to not allow Florida's and Michigan's votes to count. If Florida's and Michigan's delegates were counted, Obama would be where he belongs. On the bottom."

The only thing Hillary had going for her in Flori-DUH was the name. If Obama campained there, she would have had her but handed to her like she did in SC...

About Iraq, she didn't read the NIE, she didn't listen to the weapons inspectors on the ground. Experience? yea, at dropping the freaking ball. Dems complain about Iraq and then vote for the person who helped get them there, gesh WAKE UP!

January 31, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. Adarrah for Obama

Ask Hill how's she doing. I'm sure you'll see tear this time.

January 31, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Alice in Florida

All the money in the world won't buy this loser the election.

January 31, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. marge

"Beware:
    With Obama we will get the Kennedy brand of liberalism.
    Also, in 2016 we can expect one of the Kennedy clan
    to run for president.
    With your vote, you choose".

What are we getting with another Clinton WH????

January 31, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. Wanda

I have been a democrat all my life 58 years, but If Obama gets the nomination.....I'm turning Republican!!!!

January 31, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  20. Craig, New Jersey

re: "Attacks by the Establishment on Ron Paul Continue January 31, 2008 11:35 am ET

I guess all those rich ball players (legal and otherwise) are donating some of that quota system and affirmative action money."

You are the type of racist that this campaign is all about defeating. I haven't made up my mind, but every time I see another sick illiterate swipe like this one, I move more and more in Obama's direction....

Keep it up you KKK reject.

January 31, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Brandon

I dont care who you support, that is amasing that he got 32 million from 170,000
    NEW donors.. I repeat NEW donors. Not the same old lobbyists and PAC's. 32 million from ordinary citizens wanting to get involved in the proccess.

January 31, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. Gtown Law for Obama

wooo hooo!!!

Yes WE CAN!!!

January 31, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. Jay in Arkansas

The photo is on wikipedia by the way

January 31, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. Fem4Hillary

How much of that will he need to give back???? Republicans voting for Obama that's scary... I see another "W"

January 31, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Bonnie

WooHoooo!!!
    It's enough to buy a Super Bowl ad!

January 31, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |