January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. John S.

I'm really not much into polictics and I don't understand why many people are so anti Clinton. Many people say that if we vote for Hilary we are voting for Bill. Well things were pretty good for me in the 90's, what was it that Bill did that was so bad? Plus things can't get any worse that what Bush has done as far as I can see.

January 31, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. DNoe

He's steamrollin! Obama certainly had the support of a good number of people here in Denver yesterday at his rally!

January 31, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Bill, Tx

Kevin

I'm an oldie and am convincing other 'OLDIES' to go OBAMA. I saw his worth in 2004 at the Demo convention. He is our JFK RFK returned. Don't make it a race between the young and the old. United we stand

Bill in a Red State

January 31, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. Marilyn

the coverage that CNN is giving to Obama is troublesome to me. I like both candiates, but CNN is unfairly giving positive news about Obama. It's not balanced and honestly CNN needs to just stick to the candidates positions and policies. This is a disturbing trend in the media. It's become like Fox News.

January 31, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. namata

Some one said "President Obama"???? NOT YET BUDDY. NOT EVEN THE MONEY IS GOING TO DO IT OR ELSE MITT ROMNEY WOULD NOT BE STRUGGLING IN THE REPUBLICAN RACE.

PLEASE WATCH THE DEBATES TONIGHT AND SEE WHO IS SMART, ARTICULATE, ON TOP OF THINGS BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM.

SOMEONE IS GOING TO STRUTER ON TO THE STAGE AND START TALKING ABOUT STATUS QUO, HOPE, CHANGE , YES WE CAN, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!!

LISTEN CAREFULLY

January 31, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Mariquita

I really think that CNN belongs to Obama. Like we care, Hillary will win like it or not!!!!

January 31, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. David

Live is a journey, so let us whether Obama/Hillary will prevail.

January 31, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Carolinian

So what Obama raised 32 million.... Telling people how much money you have raised won't make a difference in who will win.. Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton will win the nomination... Sometimes I think the media is employed by the Obama camp... I think Obama have paid CNN and MSNBC most of that 32 million... The media needs to stop making Obama look like an angel... BECAUSE HE IS NOT.....

Hillary '08
    Hillary '08
    Hillary '08

January 31, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. Chris

My own Chris is not same as the first one in these comments. It is the second one with the lengthier comment. I think I should start distinguishing by stating my name as Chris N. Folks please take note.

January 31, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. Ceilidh

go Obama! You have my vote!

January 31, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. Ro

I've never contributed to a Presidential campaign in my 50 years, until now. Despite being disabled and having a very limited income, I donated to Sen. Obama. I'm delighted to see so many of us putting our money where our hope is.

January 31, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. marv. g

Just imagine how much money would be raised for Obama if Black (leaders) politicians were supporting him. A grave shame.

January 31, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. mjnohio

stop throwing away your money. most whites wont vote for Obama! if you waste your primary vote and vote for Obama and some how, though a dream, he is the nominee, then count on another for years of Republican rule. Hillary is the only fighter left...Hillary '08

January 31, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  14. George

$32 million in one month, what does that mean?

It means there is going to be a whole lot of sore losers when Hillary wins.

GO HILLARY!!!

January 31, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Sokoni Scott

Awesome!!! I think it this outpouring of support for Obama is due to his message of hope and change. The media and Hillarites are trying to paint him as a black candidate when it's not about that at all. I think he can engage on the issues as well as motivate people to change.

January 31, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. Tom, New York

Go Obama! I have never made a contribution before but $100 is well spent. Lets have a change America. Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush ?Clinton + Clinton. What are you kidding! 35 years of experience including 10 married to the President. I can't name one issue that Hillary has led the charge and achieved anything for this country. Time for new blood and some drive. Go Obama!

January 31, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. John

To all CNN detractors Did you notice a news item on MSNBC this morning. The Clinton's have been doing there dodgey deals again this time for a Canadian trying to procure Uranium from the old Sopviet empire, Kasach. This news was not reported on CNN. No Obama bias there ???
    Obama for 08

January 31, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. jwilliams

32 million in one month how much has he collected all together So sad that the price on becoming a president cost so much . When there are people out there that don't know if they will even eat tonight or if they will have a house to live in next month. You people that have all that money to give away should to the godly thing and help by giving it to people that need it .

Edward Look how far that money could go to your cause of ending poverty but I bet Obama doesn't give any to your cause.

January 31, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. Eileen

Get over it. The fairy tale is coming to an end.

January 31, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  20. John

How is it that the Clinton's are always wrong? Hillary's campaign has done nothing wrong. If you don't like her just say so. She is the most qualified candidate!!! All these none sense reasons people give. Bashing Bill Clinton for no reason. Obama says that "the republicans are the party of ideas the last 10-15 yrs" What is he saying? That George Bush is a better President than Bill Clinton. (Bush the last 7rs and Clinton the 8 yrs before = 15 yrs) Clinton is suppose to take it. Hillary answers it and its dirty politics. Go Hillary 08!!!!!

January 31, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. John

I gave 50 dollars, and I can say that I have never given any money in my life to any canidate for any reason. But Obama has lit a spark within me HRC could only dream of. Post that CNN!

Oh, and to the haters of Obama; I see on the blogs that every HRC supporters say is that he is not experienced or any verison of it. That is the EXACT REASON I am voting for him. And I dont care if it right or wrong, I beleive him, which really, I have never trusted a canidate until he came along. THIS IS MY COUNTRY.....not the

January 31, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. Family in Parkville

Manny VP January 31, 2008 11:44 am ET

That's funny…people get really happy about this as if this means that the PEOPLE will get the money…..oh please…who cares how much money they have raised. If they all put all the money raised and donated it to charities – then that would be newsworthy and worth reading!!! I guess CNN is running out of things to report about….
    -------------------------------------

Manny, you may not understand how this system works ! Unfortunately the candidates need the money so that you know what they are standing for.

It would be great to change that ... until now you may join us by supporting Barack Obama !

January 31, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. marge

"If we were attacket (sic) by terrorists again, would Obama vote "Present"(sic)?

Don't know,but we do know his vote for the Bush's WAR was NO!!!!!!
    Would Hillary vote differently???

January 31, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Stamford

Look at Mitt ! You can't buy votes.

January 31, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. WHAT!!!

Obama supporters come off as "cult followers". What are we doing people??!?!?!? This is not the politics of fear (as Obama love to say to deflect the American people for thinking about terror/terrorism) but 7 years after 9/11 we are going to elect a community organizer w/2 years of Senate experience (he has spent the majority of his time running for president.

Before health care, ethics legislation, education and immigration, a President's job is to protect the American people, that is his/her MAIN job. Why would anyone risk putting a novice in the Oval Office (such as GWB) all because you like the way he speaks?

January 31, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |