January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. KUjHwk

Hillary supporters: DON'T HATE – CONGRATULATE!!

January 31, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. Reco Davis, Atlanta

I've donated to Obama, and I will donate to Huckabee. First time in my life I've ever given money to a political campaign.

Someone ask me why I'm choosing between Obama and Huckabee...

January 31, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  3. American Dreaming

Giving the Country back to the People…Just the thought is inspiring, and just think
    The International community would have faith in Americans again. Once again excited about being an American… Sorry people The Clintons and McCain cannot produce that feeling… Go Obama!!!

January 31, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Dan in FLORIDA

I am 37 years old and a 5th generation of registered, voting Republicans in my family. I voted for (W) Bush twice and think Reagan was the best president of our time.

I just received my bumper stickers in the mail today and I am excited... they read:

REPUBLICANS FOR OBAMA

I am proud to have donated to this calling that we all should hear and heed well. I will certainly cross the aisle this election for President and vote Obama over any republican candidate. If Hillary wins, then I go back to my Republican roots.

Democrats... do yourselves a favor and guarantee our future by embracing Obama. I am one of thousands of Republicans that will vote for either Obama or Republican as second choice. That is because Obama is not the Democrat vote... he is the American vote!

I am in Florida and I am not complaining... it is our own fault for electing officials that made these decisions for us.

Go Obama 2008

January 31, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. Efran menny

obama dosent need that money he needs to stop running after
    super tuesday, i would really like to see a woman or a mormon in the white house
    anyone except HIM!!!!!

January 31, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Janet Keyser

It looks like "Samson" is finally overtaking "Goliath"! Good For Him!

January 31, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. Lori

How much of that was from CNN?

January 31, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. BCNU purple state, usa

Joe,

Hillary isn't gonna buy you a house, she won't give you a job. She'd probably try to raise your kids, but is that how you want them to be raised?

You've lost these things, yet you're connected to the Internet and spending valuable time on a political blog?

People that look to government to 'save' them are looking in the wrong place.

January 31, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Efran menny

I hate his lame RHETORIC sorta a rip off of the late great martin luther king jr., i have allot of respect for him, and i would like to see him do well in the future
    but not a future in the white house, i hope obama can be hillary's Vp

January 31, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Lili

I hear the words "Hope" and "Change", but I still haven't heard any substance
    from Obama. I cannot in good conscience give money to someone who has
    nothing to say about what he is going to do when and/or if he should become
    president. I personally find Obama to be arrogant and pompous and the direct
    snub (and it was a snub no matter how he tries to say it wasn't) he gave to Hillary
    at the State of the Union the other night let me know I did not want a person like this to be my president. To all those democrats who say they would vote for McCain over Hillary, you are not true to your Party. It would make more sense for
    you to vote for no-one than to give your vote to another War Monger who will carry on the Bush Legacy of war, poverty, unemployment and recession. It is so easy for people to bash Hillary and Bill, but you can't deny the fact that this country was
    in far better shape when Bill Clinton left than it will be when George Bush leaves office. Bill Clinton left with a huge surplus; George Bush will leave enough debt
    for your childern's children's children to pay off.

My vote goes for Hillary...but if Obama gets the nod, I'll support him because I
    am a true democrat, not a fly by night because I don't like him.

January 31, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. Keith, DC

It's look like McCain will be be the republican candidate...

McCain vs. Clinton = Past vs Past
    McCain vs Obama = Past vs Future

Hmmmm..... which should I choose?

January 31, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. Stacy Clarks, Texas

GO OBAMA!!!

I have never donated to a campaign cause before now. I gave him money earlier, and I plan on giving him more!!!!!

people believe in him!!!

January 31, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. notmyconstit.

Lori, you got that right! I bet most of it was from CNN. They are so caught up in Obama worship, they must have an alter constructed in his honor is the newroom!

January 31, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. Sally, San Antonio, TX

Hillary will be receiving my donations and I am a little fry, too. I expect she will raise just as much or more from people like me.

January 31, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. Latina for HILLARY

Oh Yea, I wonder how much OPRAH dropped....30 million...LOL

January 31, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Lisa in TN

Do the math.....that's only an average of $188 per each new doner. Some obviously gave more and some less, but it's not necessarily only a few rich contributors.

January 31, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Joseph, NY, NY

Hope, inspiration and dreaming is not going to lower the national deficit, hard work will. Enough pretty words and inspirational speeches they are not going to get the republicans to work with the democrats a strong tough person will. In this case a woman.

January 31, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. Lisa Gross

I too gave money for the first time in my voting history to Obama and will give more soon! I really believe in this candidate and will not vote in the general election for president if Hillary is our nominee without Barack as VP! She does not inspire me and I don't feel McCain will be that bad, he is more desirable to me than the Clintons!My three college age children will caucus for the first time in their young lives! They said that they can't vote for Hillary because they want to see another name besides Bush or Clinton as president for a CHANGE!

January 31, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Joss

Lili – maybe you should try watching the debates or reading his website and you can get all your questions answered. He has a plan of action for every issue.

January 31, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. bigmoney

Oh yea...Ron Paul made a buzz about record money raising...

January 31, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. C.E., Minnesota

That is amazing, I plan on donating money when I get my tax return. I dont want to be like all those people who say they are for a cause and never get envolved.

To all the Obama supporters thank you for all the insperation on this board today. The same happines that you feel by being part of that 170,000 people who donated to Obama, I want to have that same pride in my voice.

To all the Hilary supporters please dont say anything negative about Obama until you look into how your candidate raises her money. And to all of you that say that all of Obama's contributions come from lobbyist, you are a lier because im not one and Im going to give everything I can give to his campaign.

Young American getting involved.

January 31, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. GOGO-Obama!

GO OBAMA!

America loves you and needs you to lead the way!
    (Hillary will make a great Cabinet member, seriously she would!)

~LALA in KCMO

January 31, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. Lisa from TX

I am a waitress in a small cafe in north Texas. I have never been interested in politics before and only voted once. This is the first time that I have contributed to a campaign even though it's not much, I believe in Barack Obama.

Obama 08

January 31, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Rose

No, I did not. Where is the posting you say I already said?

January 31, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. Joelle, Milwaukee, WI

As an INDEPENDENT, leaning toward McCain, I am so pleased to hear that NObama supporters think they can buy the nomination for him! He will, of course, lose the nomination because the only thing(s) he has going for him are: hope, change, unity... the man is a dime-a-dozen teenage preacher with absolutely no substance, experience or judgement...

I do hope that you folks realize that once he loses the nomination, the monies you folks gave him will all go to the Democratic Party – its a rule – and will then support Hillary Rodham Clinton in the General Election.

Please dig deep and give as much as you can, borrow on your next pay-check, morgage your home; I want to see a good fight between Clinton & McCain.

McCain 08!