January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Scott, Atlanta

I think the debate tonight will clearly show who our next President will be. One on one, Barack won't be able to hide behind "Yes We Cans" all night.

Senator Clinton has put forth real solutions to the country's problems, put forth plans to pay for them, and how she plans to get them accomplished. Mr. Obama hasn't answered a single question straight forward in a debate without changing the subject.

We all saw first hand how voting for "likable" but inexperienced George Bush turned out. Which is all the more amazing that all those calling for change want to repeat another 8 years of a President-in-Training.

Obama may have charisma but I need much more substance in a President. All you see in every post from any Obama supporter is “...but he’s gonna bring us change and unite the country.” Not one can say how Obama plans to do this because they don’t know. They just know he promises to bring it and if we just believe, it’ll happen. While Mr. Obama runs through the flowers in Hopeland, I’ll be voting for someone who can get the job done as President, not Motivational Speaker. This is our economy, our welfare, our national security, and our future we are voting for – not Prom King.

Can't wait until Hillary runs the board on Super Tuesady!

January 31, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Trevor

Here's a very scary announcement;
    Obama was just rated the most liberal senator of 2007, moving up 9 spots from last year. Hello higher taxes and more government control!! Oh yeah, he's supports increase in taxes! Put someone in office who wants to increase taxes, the economy will tank for sure. Here's another interesting fact, Obama and Hillary only voted different from each other 10 times out of 267 votes last year and yet they can still do nothing but fight about how much better one is than the other. This shows their political maturity level. Not sure how either one of them voted 267 times when they haven't been doing their job for over a year now. Neither one of them would get anything done if they became president because all they want to do is make people think they are always right and nobody else is unless they agree with them. That will help our already 'do nothing' congress and senate get anything done.

Now the 'best' Democratic candidate has just quit. Edwards is probably the only Democrat that would have gotten anything done. Democrats are going to keep themselves out of office because most people are going to get tired of listening to the two of them argue all the time instead of actually trying to make a case on what they will do to fix it.

Go anyone other than Obama or Hillary '08!!!

January 31, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. Alice in Florida

Professional in North Carolina – what exactly is your profession? It's Commander IN Chief, not Commander AND Chief

Sheesh!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. Michelle

C L I N T O N S =

INFIDELITY

NAFTA

CORRUPTION

DIVISIVNESS

SCANDAL

THEY HAD A CHANCE TO BUILD THEIR LEGACY...AND THE HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT THEMSELVES...

January 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  5. Sean

marge January 31, 2008 1:39 pm ET

"Don't know,but we do know his vote for the Bush's WAR was NO!!!!!!
    Would Hillary vote differently???"

Can you provide a link to his voting record please?

January 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Jen

Obama campaign is looking for publicity from every angle. $32M or $100M, I have made up my mind since January 2007 to vote for Hillary.

January 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Ryan, New Jersey

...and I helped.

If we can't elect a guy like Obama to the highest office in the land, we deserve exactly what we'll get.

January 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. samberaholly

All of donations that was given to Obama was to used to do a good snub job and go back to law school to learn hoe to tell the truth. Picture are worth thousand words it being used in courts everyday. He got caught and lied to all of the American people on National Television. We got one in Office now that doesn't tell the truth and were going to put another one in office get real. Wake Up

January 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. mel

I have NEVER donated to a political candidate untile now.
    I have given $50 to Obama Campaign.
    I am giving to keep Clinton out of the whitehouse.

If Obama is not on the ticket in November.
    I will be voting agianst HIllary EVEN if I have to vote a Republican or write in Obama.

I hope Edwards will be Obam's VP.

signed.... A afro-hispanic woman.

January 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

I see a lot of hate coming from Clinton supporters. Please, at the very least, respect your fellow citizens' involvement in the political process.

January 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. david the blackman

The media is too lazy to report this but

Wonder how much of this money was actally fundled through as Barack hussein Obama's church and his spiritual leader J. wright but actually from Nation Of Islam and Louis Farrakhan.

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. Mr DEM Nevada

Why those individual spent money to donate to Obama, you will feel sory after Supppppper Tuesday.

You know and everyone knows that the contribution will not be reported in 3 months after the month end. So dont bother waisting time to read all those contribution. For fact that those people who said that already contributed $$ or will contribute $$...never happend..they just posted.

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. liberal democrat

I am one Edwards voter who will go for Obama. Most of my democrat/voting family and some republican/voting family members are for him. All have said they will vote for McCain if the Hillary is the nominee. We've had enough of the Clintons.

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. RW

Now THERE's an economic stimulus package for you.

Take all this money that Obama is going to waste running that goofy music video ad over and over (we're sick of it by the way) and give it to hard working Americans who can really use it. It sickens me to think of all the money that is wasted in this presidential campaign, both Democrats and Republicans.

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Kofi Sizali

It will be a sad day in America if CHANGE does not win.

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. James L

I will believe that white America is ready for a biracial candidate when I see the number on February 6, 2008. I am still not convinced. I would love to see it happen, but I am around several whites who hate the Clintons but do not intend on voting for Obama. ... so my concern is this. .. Are the Republicans pushing Obama to simply line up behind the Republican candidate if Obama gets the Democractice nod. ... I remember all the Carl Rove tricks of the past eight years. ... I also remember the "Willie Horton" ads during the 80s. Like him or not, Bill Clinton made a great deal of sense when he stated that Jesse Jackson won SC in 84 and 88. I remember both years, I voted for Jesse in 84, but did not in 88 because of how white America just off the wagon when they thought a black candidate might get the nomination in 84. Maybe this is different, maybe Jesse Jackson was too black (if there is such a measurement), Maybe because Obama is half white, he is not so intimidating to white America. ... who knows. .. Hopefully the picuture will be much clearer on February 6. ... maybe then my faith in the growth of white America will have different. ... until then. ... I am tired of losing to the Republicans. ... so I am leaning toward Clinton. ... why you may ask? They have never lost a Presidential election and I made more money during the Clinton years than I did during the run of Bush 1 and Bush 2. I am just a afraid that Obama will be another Jimmy Carter. .. a real nice person with some real inspirational words. ... but just like Carter had to to learn. ... Obama will also learn the people in the Senate and House waiting for the new president did not run on his platform of Change. ...

January 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. Corky

He's the only politician I ever sent money to in my life. I consider it money well spent!!

January 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Tired of being moderated...

30 Jan 08 News Headlines:

Barack Obama's presidential campaign raises over $32 million in one month from hundreds of thousands of people...

Former president Bill Clinton earns over $30 million in one day from one person: Frank Guistra...

January 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. j larry

I'll admit this:

I sent money because I hate Hillary Clinton. and Bill. Despise 'em. Can't stand the thought of those snakes "leading" anything.

Vote for someone with some morals and optimistic vision people. Obama 08

January 31, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Lucy Jackson

Obama is the only hope for this country. Hillary is always talking about her 30 years of experience as a public servant, yet no one can tell me what she actually did besides being married to the former president. First Lady IS NOT A GOVERNMENT OFFICE, it is a social title given to the wife of a president as a form of respect. I don't dislike Hillary, but I like Barack better. I feel that he has the vison and the respect to not only unite the country, but to bring back America's status throughout the world. The world is watching us, they want to see that it's citizens are tired of the status quo and desire real change. Hillary is apart of the old establishment!!! VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!!

January 31, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. john

Obama will make mincemeat of McCain. Both the youth & peace vote will

be his. McCain = the past. Obama = the future.

January 31, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. Nicholas, Raleigh, NC

Concerned dem: you are ignorant to the facts

January 31, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  23. Robert

I see the Independant Republicans are at it again. Spin, spin and more spin... Obama = Nadar NOT ELECTABLE, just another spoiler. The Republicans will chew him up and spit him out quicker than you can say OBAMA...

January 31, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  24. Ryan

C'mon Kate, lets not get into all of Clinton's "mistakes", and every other official. No person in Washington has clean hands, period.

January 31, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  25. Dena

wow i am so inspired by you Obama i am so glad to see this great man be our first black president please let it happen i love you Obama!!!! another gene from martin luther king has arrived!!!! Take notice people!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |