January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. E. C., Houston, Texas

His nomination is still a long shot, regardless of campaign donations.

January 31, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Joseph W. Mathews

Another Obama supporter, volunteer and small contributor quotes Emeril and says "BAM! Kick It Up a Notch!"

January 31, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  3. Holly Evans

when obama took over the podium after tedd keneddy. i just sat down on the floor and listened everything word by word. my inner being was touched and felt , convinced that the guy should be on the oval office. i as an individual is inspired by his mere genius. that is what america needs. Leaders who would tell us that is is doable with purity.
    love america

January 31, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. Virginia San Francisco, California

You all say it is "charisma". It all about the money dummy.
    What I would like to know is where is the money coming from?
    Another "Rezco" perhaps? I must admit if it had not been for Senator Clinton we Americans would have never known and that is WHY Nobama did not keep the money. Hummm it seems Nobama has some skeletons in his closet. What else will fall out of that closet?

January 31, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  5. Sherry in Kentucky

I am sooo excited!!! This is so awesome! Go, Barack Obama! I have never been this excited about a presidential candidate!

January 31, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. stan pitts pa

oh obama you rock man!!! way to go, cha-ching thats the sound of me donating more money to your campaign, we need a fundamental shake up in washington, to get rid of do nothing politicians, feeding off us! obama 08!

January 31, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. goldietaylor

I am one one the 170,000. He's earned our family's support.

January 31, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. SB

Proud of the fact I did my part....I think I'll donate again for good measures.

January 31, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. Taylor

All of Obama's donors are not individuals. Go to opensecrets.com and you will see that virtually all of the Democratic nominees, including those that are no longer running have a large amount of money coming from the same companies.

January 31, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. Oscar, Rio Vista, CA

woo hoo!!

January 31, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. evita

AMEN!

OBAMA '08!!

January 31, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Dan

Way to go Obama! I really hope he picks up the edwards supporters now that he is out of the race. Obama is for TRUE change in this country. For those who think he is inexperienced – what about JFK and Lincoln? Also, because he hasn't been "in it" as long, he is not tainted by the ferociousness of washington. He is not poisoned by political greed. He is a true american who wants change for the better. Voting Clinton is voting for another 4 years of the big political machine. Vote for a man who speaks for the people. OBAMA 08!

January 31, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. BP

Great sign that many are "buying into" Obama's dream......

Also, have you seen the union bashing story about Hillary when she was with Walmart... Holy cow !!!!! 35 years of experience ??? I think there is a few years she should maybe leave out.....

January 31, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. Scott

I am an Obama supporter but in all fairness he does have PACs working on his behalf. He has repudiated them but they are still stumping for him. Although Hillary does have far more interest groups than any other candidate, she has never claimed to run a clean campaign. Thus is politics in a post McCain-Feingold world.

January 31, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  15. Hope in Detroit and I am white

I love you Obama just donated another 20

January 31, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. BM

People believe in Obama.

January 31, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  17. Dan, TX

My goal was to raise $100 for Obama, I'm at $95 now, and I'm going to get that next $5 in soon!

January 31, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  18. Gregory S.

This is an amazing way to gauge support from individuals for Barack Obama, versus the elites and special interests that donate to the Clinton camp. Obama's candidacy is exciting and a huge step away from the politics and practices of the PAST.

I'm a registered Republican. And I'm sending money to Obama's campaign AND plan on voting for him.

January 31, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Too bad his supporters are throwing their money away...Course I guess Rezko can afford it.

January 31, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. Dalton, Winston-Salem, NC

Yep! I happen to be one of those individuals who donated the max $2,300 this year. I'm not affiliated with any pol organization or anything... just a regular average joe. I've never been so eager to give to a campaign before. I really believe in this one. Not everyone who gets into politics is a bad person.

January 31, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. Braineel

This is a good indicator of the increasing faith in the Obama campaign.

January 31, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  22. Attacks by the Establishment on Ron Paul Continue

I guess all those rich ball players (legal and otherwise) are donating some of that quota system and affirmative action money.

Too little too late. Hillary will win!

January 31, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  23. Citizen

Obama Lovers,

You are all leaving in a dream world!

January 31, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. K, Florida

I live in Florida and Obama's folks called me prior to voting to ask if "WE" were willing to donate $150 so that Obama could take back America. Yes he was fundraising in florida. He also attended "fundraisers" in homes in my neighborhood.

January 31, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  25. Mark C. Eades

Just one more good sign that Obama's star is rising while Clinton's is falling.

January 31, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |