January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Intellectuals

I am an immigrant, just became eligible for citizenship and can't vote in the '08 election. But I have contributed my first $ ever to Se. Obama. I will contribute more, because he symbolizes what everyone believes in - Positive Hope

January 31, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. KK

This is the first time I am willing to be a donor to any presidential canditate in my life. I am ready to donate because I do not want to take the risk again by putting Clinton's back in office. Obama is great statesman. I believe in him. What Hillary Clinton can do when her husband Bill Clinton can't do in his 8 years of presidential term ? Clintons just can't live without power. They are very greedy for power and ready to do anything for that.

January 31, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Lena

Unlike Hillary Clinton, who just got a MULTI MILLION dollar "donation" from a ex-Soviet mining giant, Barack is honest and is supported by our people!!

January 31, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Tony

IS CNN=OBAMA?

January 31, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. Manny VP

That's funny...people get really happy about this as if this means that the PEOPLE will get the money.....oh please...who cares how much money they have raised. If they all put all the money raised and donated it to charities – then that would be newsworthy and worth reading!!! I guess CNN is running out of things to report about....

January 31, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Lynn L.

I have never donated to a presidential campaign before, but this year I have donated sacrificially - twice - to MIKE HUCKABEE.

Today (Jan. 31) is the FEC deadline when all the candidates have to file their financial disclosure documents. Romney can't hide any more... no more refusing to disclose how much of his own fortune he's spent to buy the presidency.

IDEA: I'd like to see someone on CNN do a COMPARISON: how much money per vote it has cost, on average, for each candidate. (I.e., total primary votes for him/her, so far, divided by how many total primary votes he/she has received.

January 31, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. Bruno

That's great, everyone supporting Obama.
    I'm from Brasil and I donated 4 times to Obama campaign, it's the first time i contribute to a political campaign.

January 31, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. grant

Clinton can't win Independents, and she is the one thing that could bring republicans out of the woodwork this fall; Moreover, the tens of millions of new voters Obama is bringing to the table are not coming because he's a democrat; They're coming for him, and most will not be sufficiently enthused about a hillary nomination to maintain their activism. In short, nominating Hillary scores a winning touchdown...for the other team.

January 31, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Micahel Guinn, Ventura, CA

The Obama campaign is a MONUMENTAL movement for change and all we "small contributors" are turning a dream into reality. YES WE CAN!
    Obama 08!

January 31, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. Obama Supporter

Barack, just continue to keep a positive campaign.....and do not let the Clinton's stand in the way of your message of CHANGE. Please continue to defend yourself from them........and you will be fine! We are proud of you.

Obama '08

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. K.Thabo

America really needs a leader lyk Obama,he aint self serving as the others...! Go OBAMA 08...!!!

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Robert Muhumuza

Does anyone know what is called "Bloody Liars"???
    That is what can describe Bill Clinton and Company!!!
    If you are asking why, read the paragraph below from a story in New York Times Today

"Both Mr. Clinton and Mr. Giustra at first denied that any such meeting occurred. Mr. Giustra also denied ever arranging for Kazakh officials to meet with Mr. Clinton. Wednesday, after The Times told them that others said a meeting, in Mr. Clinton’s home, had in fact taken place, both men acknowledged it."

“You are correct that I asked the president to meet with the head of Kazatomprom,” Mr. Giustra said. “Mr. Dzhakishev asked me in February 2007 to set up a meeting with former President Clinton to discuss the future of the nuclear energy industry.” Mr. Giustra said the meeting “escaped my memory until you raised it.”

Vote Obama 2008 Please!!!!

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. Virgnia

I adore Obama and will be so proud when he represents our nation to the world!
    That is unless the GOP subverts, steals, brainwashes and just BSs it's way to the white house again.

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. Sam

The reason why Obama is drawing a lot of support from small individual doners is the fact that we are tired of the Clinton's sleaze and sliminess. The Clintons on the other hand depends on few contributions from shady characters such as the Canadian financier who traveled to Kazakhstan with Bill Clinton and won a big mining deal later donated millions to Mr. Clinton. God forbid the Clintons' co-presidency.

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. seektruth

we just donated another $200 today! we are all part of this ! make a history about people and leader of all people!
    Obama 08!

January 31, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. Change is Coming!!

GO Obama! GO! my donation is on it's way and so is my vote, you can take that to the bank.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Content of Character

America wants change....(okay, the word change has been tossed around a lot) so I'll change that statement (smile). America and most of it's citizens are exhausted, we want our power back. Power that lies within each one of us to choose the direction of our future. We decide who the best person will be to lead our country. Therefore we are the ones with the financial power. I know that my $50 is apart of the $32million and that reinforces my power.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  18. ahna

Obama is not the choice for me, too many unanswered questions and too many things I've seen.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. lou

Too bad Obama can not do better at explaining what he stands for... the pretty words and promise to be a "uniter" are empty promises to the Latinos. Hispanics backed Bush in very high numbers to then get disappointed in a big way. Obama NEEDS the Hispanic vote desperately and he is not making any headways. I feel deep distrust of this man. If he gets the nomination I will vote republican unless he is able to articulate better what he plans to fix the mess W and his administration has created.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. old lady USA

Congrats to the Obama team.

Wishing Obama well in the debate tonight, remember that John Edwards is standing on stage with you, as are those of us who believed in his campaign.

One thing for sure, especially for those voting Feb 5th, the last thing this country needs is ANY version of a BRIDGE TO BACKWARD, else we get more of the same State of the Union messages as we got Monday.

Barack Obama, your opposition is very skilled politically, to be sure, just that we do not need any more concur-and-divide, power gotcha, and sleazy mis-reputation of facts from those that call themselves leaders. We need forward-looking truth tellers.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  21. Elizabeth in Dallas

I for one have not met a person in Dallas where I live that is NOT supporting Obama. I think this means a lot knowing that Texas is generall a "red state". I donated twice to the Obama campaign this month and have never donated to a political campaign prior to this year. I know a lot of people look at Clinton and her husband but many people need to also look at Obama's wife, Michelle. She is an amazing person and their family is truly amazing.

Obama 2008 from Texas.

January 31, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. Cheerio

I'm not sure why my comment has been in moderation for 25 minutes... Guess I'll give it another try...

I'm proud to say I contributed $30 to that. And I'll be sending another $15 today. Goes to show that even people who can't afford big donations can get together and raise a lot of money for someone they believe in!

January 31, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  23. ak

I hope Obama wins. Clinton will only give us more of the same. She is so much a part of what’s wrong with our country that she will never be able to change anything.

January 31, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. StopwatchingMSNBC, Rochester, NY

If this is true, I would want to see where the donations are coming from. But it would explain why he was running ads in Florida.

January 31, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  25. Gitahi, Dallas TX

THIS GUY IS GOING TO SURPRISE BIG TIME!!!!. Now the polls show him within 7 points of Hillary nationwide and 6 points behing Hillary in CA after trailing by 20 points or more. No wonder the Hillary folks wanted to move FL and MI up before he campaigned. But he is no pushover and he is going to suprise big time on Tuesday.

January 31, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |