January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. charlotte

Guess the economy is doing just fine after all, money, money by the pound, what a waste.

January 31, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Susan, St. Michaels, MD

Polls, schmolls! We whites, young, middle aged and old are backing Obama. My 76 year old mother called me Saturday evening just squealing with excitement about OUR win in SC. She resents the fact that the pundits say that Hillary gets the vote of older folks. She thinks they are dead wrong. He speaks to every one of us. Oh yeah, my 23 years old daughter loves him too and says there is a lot of enthusiasm on her college campus.

January 31, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. Hoodi - CA

When the sun rises in the sky everyone does see it! and that Obama

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. roger, conway sc

Obama has been in politics for many years so he is a politican just like all the rest he just talks a little smoother & covers his vague answers with the change message & people go wild...All of us have baggage including Obama (& the Kennedys) the media have not set their sites on him just wait & see if he is the nominee they will rip him apart. He had real problems dealing with the Clintons a couple of weeks back just wait until the GOP & the media both get a hold of him. I can not wait to hear Roland Martin, Donna Brazzelle, & Jim Clyburn pull the race card on the GOP & the media.....

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  5. Cynthia St. Louis

FANTASIC NEWS!

There are so many of us hungry for a new beginning and a change from the same old dirty games and deal making of the past. The world is watching.

Obama 08

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Sylvia

so what, he is NOT the right leader
    STOP DRINKING TO KOOL-AID
    he is NOT what you think he is look beyond the man behind the curtain
    he has you SNOWED he does NOT know HOW to be a leader....but he knows how to get your MONEY!!!!

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Ed

I'm an African American who has nothing against Obama, I actaully like him a lot But myself friends and family will be voting for Hillary. I really wish the two could run on the same ticket. It wouldn't matter to me who is Pres/VP. I think they could make a huge inpact on this country as a united front. You will need the kind of energy that both have produced to get us back in the right direction.

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  8. James

very nice!!! go for it man!

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. ken

makes me wanna shout (acutally donate even more)!!

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Sumi

I'm one of Obama's small donors. I've been giving $25 every couple of months to his campaign. I've finally started giving my time. I'm ready for change in America. Are you?

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. Seed of Change

"Bruno" donating from Brazil ?

He needs more money to be competitive.

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. Joss

I donated $50 so far to Obama's campaign and have never donated for any campaign before. I believe in him.. and his number show that I'm not alone. He gets his money from contributions of everyday Americans and not the Washington lobbyists. In fact he hasn't accepted anything from them at all. This is newsworthy and excitng because it shows how much the regular people of this country believe in him. How much of Hillarys money came from JUST regular people?

January 31, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. james

Another $25 from me

January 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Paul Weldon

This is totally newsworthy – 32 million in a month – UNHEARD OF !!! MORE THAN A MILLION A DAY!

OBAMA 08!!!!!

January 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Josh

Obama has built up a base of support that is unmatched! Obama is truly the PEOPLE's Candidate!

Obama 08

Josh M.

January 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. Anthony

I just got my scholarship refund check, and $1000 of it just got donated to Obama!

Obama '08

January 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  17. Karen, Jersey City

Great news! I donated another $200.00 to Obama's campaign and 10 friends of mine dontated $50.00 each!

Obama '08 !!!!

January 31, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Jim ( Independent )

At one point last week Obama donations were coming in at a rate of $500,000 an hour.

MEET OUR NEXT PRESIDENT.................( Barack Obama )

I live in Oregon and have relitives in California and Washington State. The west Coast loves Obama !

YES WE CAN !

January 31, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. KD

I bemoan the fact that it requires $32 million dollars total to even be considered as a presidential nominee. To think to how much good use such a large amount of money could go. If we took all the money that ALL politicians raise to get elected and/or re-elected, I am willing to bet we could get one heck of a lot more done than the whole lot of modern day aristocrats. Power to the people!

January 31, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. hb4ever

Go Obama!

January 31, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  21. jay

I have never given money to any candidate EVER, but last week I gave money to Sen. Obama. Although Republican, I believe Barack Obama is the only candidate who can bring the country together. I have changed my registration so I can vote in the Democrat primary for Obama.

January 31, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Robert in Albuquerque

The big question is how much money does he have left and how much has he spent in Jan.

January 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  23. Golden Chica

Remember people, George Bush's theme was similar's to Obama. He was all for change, and he called himself a uniter and look where the country is now. We need a candidate with experience like Clinton. This is no time for on the job training. If Obama wins, the Republicans will have a field goal with him in the white house.

January 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. benvictor

How does Obama "I have a messy desk" intend to keep track of all this money. I hope CNN will be publishing the names of the donors. It ought to be enlightening.

January 31, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. NObama NO Way

Who cares how much money they make?

Look at Florida where they didn't SPEND any money, or campaign there. It's not about who has the most money, or who has the biggest crowds, or who can be the best CHEERLEADER.

I support a national primary. So every state votes at the same time and it doesn't matter how many TV commercials they buy! Wouldn't everyone like fewer commercials?!?!?

ELECT THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR THE JOB!

VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON!

January 31, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |