January 31st, 2008

Obama raises $32 million in January

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/31/art.obamamoney.ap.jpg caption=" Obama has raised over $30 million in January."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama raised $32 million in the month of January alone for his presidential bid, CNN's Candy Crowley confirms.

That total roughly equals his previous best three-month fundraising haul.

The campaign would not divulge how much money it has on hand - a more accurate measure of a campaign's financial health going forward.

A campaign source also tells CNN the Illinois senator received contributions from 170,000 new donors in January.

The Clinton campaign would not indicate how much money it had raised in the same time period.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. J

I've only given a few buck to OBAMA so far, but when I get my Tax refund, I plan to give a WHOLE LOT MORE!
    Go OBAMA!

January 31, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Create the future

I'm elated that so many Obama supporters like myself have decided to put their money where their mouths are. The time has finally come after decades of waiting, hoping, and praying. We finally have a presidential candidate who is speaking to our issues, concerns, and daily realities. This recent outpouring of financial support is simply a testament to Obama's electability and viability. Obama, you have my support today, tomorrow, and throughout your entire administration. May it be eight years of steadfast change. This election has set precedence and I ask every Obama supporter to keep hope alive and ignore the naysayers. The time for change is NOW!

January 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  3. Shaba

Americans will never make the right choice. Obama is too clean for the job of being President of the USA. There are other forces at play that he isn't familiar with. Excited as all you Obama fans are. SADLY, I really think he won't make it. Obama makes me want to be american! And if you knew me this would have been a shock. I bet even Osama will want to be american! Hehehehe.
    In a perfect world Obama would be President.

January 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. Dave. San Diego, CA

Manny wrote:

That's funny…people get really happy about this as if this means that the PEOPLE will get the money…..oh please…who cares how much money they have raised. If they all put all the money raised and donated it to charities – then that would be newsworthy and worth reading!!! I guess CNN is running out of things to report about….

Well Manny, you do have a point. So what I just did was donated $30 to the American Red Cross, and then I donated another $30 to the Barack Obama campaign which was matched by another donor.

Thank you for the great idea, this way Barack Obama still got the $60 I was initially going to give to his campaign.

January 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. Chris

anyone who donates to Obama in the primary season is essentially throwing their money away. Hillary is going to be the nominee so you might as well give your money to a Republican instead of Obama. Or better yet give it to Hillary. Make your money count for something at least....

January 31, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  6. zerville

West is going to be very tough for Obama, he's relatively unknown out there..but he's definitely a more credible and more serious candidate than Hilary, Mcain put together, those old folks have only perfected their political skills to say the right things over the years, it doesnt really come from the heart like Obama's....look them all right in the eye when they speak and you will catch that secret..

January 31, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. laurie

WELL I GUESS IF HE GETS LOW WE WILL ALL ALONG WITH NEW PEOPLE TO THE RACE........WILL DONATE AGAIN......... I MEAN WHEN YOU MAKE SMALL DONATIONS AT A TIME HE CAN GO ALONG TIME............

January 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. Cindy

With all the money raised in this campaign so far and all the money presumably already spent, it's hard to know what this article really means unless you give comparative data for other candidates–particularly with regard to cash on hand. The only thing I bet is that John Edwards left his campaign with no cash on hand.

January 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  9. los angeles

Obama,
    now you have another $100.00 dollars to your total. change is inevitable.

SI SE PUEDE (yes, we can)

Obama 2008

January 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. jay mo

OBAMA-MANIA! I'm proud to say that I've donated $300.00 so far!

January 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. Dan, NJ

Its the first time I ever donated to a campaign. If Hillary wins, she will owe a debt to special interests. If Obama wins, he will owe a debt to everyday Americans.

And i still don't know why CNN is covering the Walmart tapes where Hillary sat silent while the board discussed crushing unions or the NY Times story about Bill Clinton buddying up the an opressive dictator.

January 31, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  12. C. Morgan, Bellingham, WA

170,000 NEW contributers! It would be interesting to compare Dems and Pubs with regard to number of contributers. Democracy in action.

January 31, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. Lee

Change is 08 is GREAT!!!!! Go OBAMA

January 31, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  14. black_man91

Everyone trying to ride Obama......but lets look at the facts.....if everyone vote for someone that give them hope or because people like him...well we will end up in the same situation we are in now....Think back about 8 yrs ago....everyone loved Bush and everyone hated Gore because he was a friend of the Clintons...and look where we are now!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  15. Paul

"President Obama": The last piece of the "Declining America" puzzle. My God, have we sunk this low??? Not with my vote and I am a life long Democrat!

January 31, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. Betty

Wake up people. Bush fired the economic advisor who estimated it could cost 200 billion. Now we spent over 1 trillion. Bush said oil revenue would pay for Iraq reconstruction. We were lied to about that. Bush said we would be welcomed as liberators. Another lie. Bush said mission accomplished. Another lie. Bush told us we had to invade Iraq because of WMD. Another lie. No candidate except Ron Paul has described a real plan to reduce the national debt and strengthen our economy.

January 31, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. united for truth

We’re the greatest nation on the face of the earth, yet we allow ourselves to be brainwashed, and mislead.
    It is absolutely deplorable that we have to borrow money from poor China. What a crap? Let's put Americans to work, let's put food to the table. Let's reclaim our country from the corrupt Washington lobbyists. Let's reward our teachers, soldiers, scientists, etc. No doubt, Obama will do all this if given the opportunity with patience and optimism we will reclaim our future- the reward for forbearance at the end is resounding success.

We love you Obama!!

January 31, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Gregory, NYC

This is EXCELLENT news!!! I too have donated 10-15 and 25 dollars to Obama when ever I could. A few times this month I donated 5 dollars because that was all I could squeeze out. I am going to keep donating money and time for this man. I truly believe he is sent to us just as JFK, and Dr. King were in the sixties (although I pray everyday he does not meet their fate!) People wake up and join this great movement of change in this country. Obama represents the best in all of us and the true spirit of the American Dream.
    It is going to be such a wonderful day when he is inaugurated!!

January 31, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Tina in Texas

Sorry folks, but Obama is NOT for me. Someone talked earlier about contributions to Clinton not on the up and up. Well, HELLO, what about the fellow who just got arrested that is linked to Obama's campaign? No one is perfect, but, I feel that Obama DOES NOT have the experience to lead this country! If he wins the nomination (OOOH LORD HELP ME), but I will vote Republican.

For Hillary 100%%%%%

January 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. byron

FINALLY A CANIDATE WHO STANDS FOR SOMTHING I BELIEVE IN BARACK OBAMA. HE HAS A SPECIAL SKILL SET THAT HILLARY DOESNT OCCUPY THAT POSITIONS HIM TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY AT A VERY UNIQUE PERIOD

PEOPLE ARE FINALLY WAKING UP TO THE REALIZATION HAT HE IS THE REAL DEAL

OBAMA 08

January 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. Jim ( Independent )

Chris you keep on thinking that way , the Obama train is picking up speed , we have room for all americans that want a better tomorrow , come on and join us.

Clinton would be a dream come true for the Republicans. The Clintons have so much trash in there back yard,a vote for Hillary is a vote for the Republicans , and you can take that to the bank.

OBAMA 08

YES WE CAN !

January 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. Ryan in MO

$32 million raised is an amazing statistic... but what's been more amazing? The lack of the Clinton's in the news!!! Obama is seeming all over the media outlets, gaining popularity among the American people, and more importantly, GAINING GROUND NATIONALLY!!! I sense the Clinton campaign is getting a little nervous...

And when Edwards endorses Obama... Now introducing the Democratic Presidential Nominee: Sen. Barack Obama.

Obama 08!

January 31, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. John Tucker

Can YOU FEEL IT?

Here comes the OBAMA train folks – HOP ON BOARD!!!!

The times – they are a changin'!!!!!

January 31, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  24. Brennan - Seattle, WA

As a fairly conservative liberal I am amazed by Obama. I have vever given to a campaign until this election cycle.

Barack is an inspiriation and while it is ridiculous that he needs this much money to be competitive, it is also reality. I will continue to give to this campaign and if Hillary ends up with the nomination I will donate to McCain's campaign.

January 31, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  25. Alice in Florida

I live in Florida, and I am furious that my vote for Hillary did not count. I have sent an email to the DNC protesting the fact that my own party is stealing my vote. I also told them that if Obama wins because they stole Floridians' votes, I will vote Republican for the first time in my life.

Please notify the DNC that it is totally ludicrous that Florida's delegates won't be seated. If the DNC didn't make such a bone-headed move, Obama would be where he belongs – in last place!

January 31, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |