January 31st, 2008

Romney set to make Super Tuesday ad buy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/29/art.romfla.cnn.jpg caption="Romney is set to go on the air in California and other Super Tuesday states."]LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Mitt Romney has decided to purchase a significant ad buy in California and other Super Tuesday states, campaign aides tell CNN's Dana Bash.

One campaign aide said the decision to buy in delegate-rich California was made Thursday morning.

The campaign is still deciding on what kind of ads it will run - whether the spots will target chief rival John McCain, or whether they will instead focus on the former Massachusetts governor's record and biography.

News surfaced Wednesday night California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to endorse McCain's White House bid - reversing on his previous pledge not to support a candidate before February 5.

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. mary

There's really not much need for this to be honest. People have already set their minds. This expensive add will produce results, but I don't think it will be of significant help to win.

January 31, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Roz

I am not a Mitt supported but I would take Mitt over that Dinosaur McCain anyday.
    I loved the debate last nigh. Watching Mitt and Huck Stomp him was fun!

Now if Mitt would just find another Tie. That Blue Stripped one gives me a headache. It actually distracts me a bit from what he is saying from time to time.

Lose the stripes Mitt buy a nice Deep Red Power Tie.

January 31, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. Tom

Obama sounds great, and I'm sure his book is uplifting. But his conclusion is all wrong. Blessed in Ohio says that Obama recognizes the greatest force in American governmet: the people.

However, Obama just got rated the most liberal senator, which means he likely voted for many big government programs, which take away choices from the American people.

The best government is the smallest government, the one which interferes the least and only does what individuals cannot do. I'm sick of politicians eager and willing to spend spend spend.

As for those bashing Mitt Romney because he was a businessman. You are simply out of touch with how the world works. Businesses provides jobs, so without your 'greedy CEO', hedge funds, capital venturists, and those driven to make a profit, there would be little in the way of job creation. You think Microsoft employess thousands of employees for the fun of it? Does Apple give away I-phones and I-Pods for free? Do drug companies spend 15 billion dollars on research so they can give drugs away for free?

Do you work 40+ hours a week so the government can take 40% of your paycheck and give to lazy slobs who feel its unnecessary to be a productive member of society?

Government is not the solution. Read up on the Declaration of Independence and see why this country was fought for. To be free of the tryannys and oppression of personal freedoms by government.

Obama believes we're all victims and that he and his government can save us. No, Mr. Obama, give me more of my money back, allow me more freedoms, and I will fix my own problems, thank you. Allow me to buy health insurance outside of California....i will make the best choice for me, not some politician in Sacramento, or D.C.

January 31, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. bob, IOWA

I would actually vote for Hillary if she would divorce Bill. I can't imagine a White House with Bill Clinton with idle time on his hands. Interns beware!

January 31, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Karen, Arkansas

As a hillary supporter, I have to admit that I am a little scared about Bill being in the White House again. Especially this time, since he will be the "1st Gentlemen" with absolutely nothing to do. I definately will not be letting my daughter apply to be a White House intern.

January 31, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. Jacqueline Bauer

Romney is clearly the most articulate, knowledgeable and capable candiate on either side of this election. Supremely Presidential.

On the other hand, McCain is diengenuous (now, one more time, just why did he vote AGAINST tax cuts??); and he is a very bitter and spiteful person. He thinks Hillary would be a "very good president". Guatanemo, global warming, Kennedy Amnesty, Feingold free speech restrictions, etc, etc.

How can ANY self-respecting Republican even think about this person as the standard-bearer of our party?? Old Man McCain will be eaten up and spitten out by the Dems, and he will be TOAST months before November, ala Old Man Dole.

January 31, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Howard

Karen from Arkansas,spare me your ridiculous comments.President Clinton will be very busy with the Clinton global iniative among other things,I seriously doubt that he'll have nothing to do.

January 31, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Arizona Native

Being from AZ McCain is too old and wishy washy. Mitt is the better of the 2 candidates.

Personnally I don't care if Mitt is mormon or not at least he has knowledge about how to juggle a family and corporate America. At least he stands for something and he is not afraid of standing in defense of our country. You let a democrate in the white house and you might as well open the doors for terrorism inside our country. History has proven that if you don't hunt down the people trying to distroy our freedom you will loose that freedom until you find someone to standup against it.

Go Mitt

January 31, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. Norma

Romney is America's best hope! If the voters would dig a little on their own, rather than depending so much on the media, they'd discover that although McCain is strong on the military, he has little else to offer. We are more than our armies. With McCain it will be four more years of the same,(or less). The only way McCain will succeed is if he has a very strong vice president, Like Governor Mitt Romney, alongside.

January 31, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Susie Michigan

I agree Mitt should just show the ads about him. McCain isn't worth it. Mitt would be a better person if he didn't do those about McCain. More people are want to hear more about Mitt. Mitt will win the election. The USA will be better for it. GO GO
    MITT

January 31, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Greg Corey

As far as the Republicans – it is really great to have two excellent candidates in Romney and McCain. I believe that once we have that one candidate – we will open up the wallets and get behind him. There is no shortage of excitement on this side and we don't at all but anything to the contrary. It's so cool to watch the absolute carnage going on with our Democratic brethren. Go Mitt!!!!! Go John!!!!!

January 31, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. Tommy, Texas

Mitt, would make a wonderful president he is the only one I heard last night that has a clue what he would do when he gets to the White House. McCain looked old and tired.

January 31, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Jennifer Deane

When is America going to wake up! With the likes of McCain's "good old boys network" running the show, the United States of America could easily be a 3rd world nation within decade. This politician feeds only fear into the hearts and minds of Americans. In 2008, Americans have a chance to choose change. A chance to look to the future instead of the past. A chance to bring hope back to this great nation. Electing a Washington outsider to lead the United States of America is our nation's last great hope.

Go Mitt!

January 31, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Joe

McCain is a lib at heart! Mitt is the only true conservative in the race! Think about the people endorsing McCain: Giuliani and Arnold, moderate to liberal republicans! If you are a conservative and want to beat John McCain: Vote Mitt Romney!

Mitt Romney 2008

January 31, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. Hillphil

Why vote for Juan McCain?

Because Juan and Teddy can solve the world problems!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Mcain = Dole lost to Clinton

February 2, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. Justasking

What happened to McCain's first wife?

February 2, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |