January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Hamsa Subramanian

As a physician, my opnion is that Senator Obama has no clue to a definite plan to improve healthcare. Although in the past Senator Clinton's healthcare plan was a failure, i feel that she has some insight into it. The healthcare crisis is worsening and in certain counties in Illinois many physicians have closed shop and have moved out. Patients are driving over 75 to 100 miles to seek medical help. I don't think he can help on the healthcare issue, he will have to rely on somebody else who can.
    HNS, St Louis MO

2. Bonnie

Hillary is smirking and the whole world is watching.... I do not like her body language; the smirk is reminiscent of George W. Bush. I don't want to see the "smirk" again. This kind of body language will never create an atmosphere conducive to collaboration, compromise and solution focused interventions!
    Bonnie in IA

3. Kim

I think they have both done a good job so far. They are getting bogged down in the healthcare discussion. I think its time to move on. Many more topics to discuss.

4. La Casa

Why doesn't anyone bring up the fact that Obama is SO MUCH MORE ELECTABLE than Hillary?

The republicans will destroy Hillary–Obama will take the Independants, et al., by storm.

5. Dr Sapna Tandon

Its obvoius that Obama is giving too much hope ....... but where is the hope for those that his health care plan does not cover?
    Secondly is he really about change when he himself bought house and land from his friends in Chicago .

6. CMW

I like Obama's healthcare plan and the clear distinction with Hillary's ... the C-Span suggestion is brilliant

7. hb4ever

Clinton is getting Obama defensive. Obama has to talk his points and not react to Clintons points.

8. Rex from Kansas

People...our next President is sitting on this stage...please focus and keep your eyes on the ball.

9. DustySpringfieldFan

I have said for almost a year that a Clinton-Obama ticket would be fantastic. Do you think it would win?

10. gershon

How do you pay for this stuff? You end the $10 Billion a month war to nowhere.

11. rao

does the universal healthcare extend to illegal immigrants too!!!. how are they going to monitor that? how come preventive medicine is not at the top of the list?

12. ObamaSupporter

i love obama's plan – i want to know what's going on and get involved to help push legislation. I don't want my wages garnished so that i end up paying for health care but can't pay for food. I want to healthcare that i can afford.

13. Paul

Can you not control the applause during this debate... It is distracting

14. Todd

GO HILLARY – you score big on healthcare!

15. TVR

I think it's good that Obama takes time to think about his answers. When the answers come out immediately, I feel like it's too rehearsed. Stopping and thinking for a moment makes me believe that the answer is real and not a part of someone's script.

16. Hurricane Jeff

Hillary realizes the taxpayers are the victims. She is setting up a plan where taxes will be something Americans will take in stride and ultimately conquer and work together to get it done. If you read between the lines of her plan, you will clearly see that taxpayers are paying taxes in a manner that will benefit the American people and sideline the injustice Republians that veto every proposed bill that migrates the election process.

17. Luke

Hillary is more polished because she is not change people! She has been doing this for 30 odd years!

18. David

They are already running together. Ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at the next President and Vice President of the United States. I'm not saying I support either candidate, but that is the truth. They are already running together...supporting facts for this are:

1. Addressing each other by their first name instead of congressional title, e.g. Hillary instead of Senator Clinton

2. Looking each other in the eye when speaking about the other's policy.

3. Repeatedly addressing the fact that, to quote Sen. Obama, "Our policies are in agreement on 95% of the issues".

In my opinion, we are going to defy the standard of white males running this country in one election. We are going to have a white woman and a black man running this country. At the same time.

19. Sandy

I hope the address the raising cost of college education.

20. Richard

I have a question I would like to have asked of BOTH candidates.

You have both spoke at length about your concerns for those of us who are struggling in the current economic downturn and have both vowed to do something to help if you are nominated and ultimately elected president.

One of you may well become president in January of 2009, but that is a FULL YEAR AWAY. So my twofold question is this:

(1) What will you personally do as a member of Congress to do something NOW about this problem, and

(2) will you immediately return to Washington after this debate to participate in pushing the proposed stimulus/relief package forward.....or will you instead just leave the problems for others to solve and just continue on with your campaign to become the nominee for president ??

21. soose

Hilary is explaining in detail what her Health Plan would look like. Sounds great because it'll offer different layers for different needs. One size never fits all. And, I'm an Obama, but this round goes to Hilary.

22. Independent

Why doesn’t Obama answer the question ask? When someone goes to the ER and doesn’t have insurance we all pay, what do we do about that? He said something like …maybe we’ll make them pay some back premiums for not buying insurance in the first place… doesn’t make sense to me.

23. Karina

They're both doing a fair share of pandering to Edwards tho Hill/Bill is more smarmy and conspicuous. My worry with Obama: he's just not being compelling enuf about the health care issue. Thru the advantages she cites about her health care approach, she seems to be nullifying the advantages he offers. Sigh.

24. M Sullivan

Hillary,
    Why don't you explain why the President wants to veto expanding the Children's health care plan? I think families who earn $80,000/year should not have the government pay for their children's health care plan.
    Tax and spend....that's the Democratic way!!!

25. MHM

That is what I just said Mom2three

January 31, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96