January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. LeGrand P. Salvant

Clinton and Obama agreed to disagree agreably. Good discussion so far.

2. Kev C

Why do we distinguish between Africian-American and White Americans? We are all AMERICANS...Democrats need to get past the color issue

3. Jami

As good as universal health cares sounds, you cannot mandate people to purchase health insurance. The idea is to make it affordable so that everyone at least has the opportunity to be covered. That's what makes America America, the right to choose!

4. Anonymous

why does hillary keep smirking?

5. Prayu

Having seen Romney's mandated healthcare program at work first hand, I have grave misgivings about Clinton's ideas. She never really addressed how hers would work where Mitt's would not. Her plan costs more than Barack's, and her logic behind the ability to lower subsidies is a bit sketchy.

She does has a smoother vocal delivery so far, but the crowd has seemed to be behind Barack more.

6. Bristol

What a ridiculous question. How are Latinos responsible for the high unemployment rate in inner cities.

7. AtlantaBill

Hillary looks and sounds presidential. Grace under fire – a good quality for any president.

8. Kathy

Where in the constitution does it allow the Federal government to provide me with health insurance? In addition, where does anyone get the idea that health insurance translates to good health care?

9. Stop the War Now

I like Obama/Edwards much better.

I would like hillary to answer the following. I emailed her website and was replied with a "sorry, we can't answer every email" I served in the Military 20 years and retired, which granted me health insurance. If hillary want to give this free to those that are too lazy to work for it, what else will she provide military personnel that had to sacrafice 20 years of their life to obtain.

10. Tricia

I challenge BOTH candidates to take 1 week from the campaign trail and shadow a nurse in a busy hospital. Let them SEE the patients who are released from ER without the medications they need. Let them sit in the hospital rooms of older people who are told they do not have coverage for home health and must sell their home to go into a nursing home because they cannot care for themselves. Let them see families struggling trying to find resources to pay for diabetic medical supplies that are RARELY covered by insurance......EXAMPLE- a mid level diabetic must check thier blood sugars 3-4 times a day! The strips used to take their blood to measure are over $25+ a bottle.......not even a week's supply!

I have been a nurse for over 20 years. I would LOVE the opportunity to discuss significant implications that actually affect AMERICANS (BOTH DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS AND INDEPENDENTS AND EVEN THOSE WHO DONT VOTE).

Politicians need a real life snapshot of whats going on AT THE ACUTE CARE LEVEL. Stop talking for a minute and educate yourself about the true situation.

11. Jim P.

Ugh... This country will go down the toilet bowl if either of these Bozo's get into office...

I'm sorry, but when candidates start of by saying.. "The American People should...." My stomach turns... Why do the Dem candidates always know what's "best" for the people???

12. ryan

Hillary is more concise and quick with her answers because she is always scripted. Obama thinks between his answers because he is actually trying to give his own opinion. Thank you Barack.

13. Rick

After last nights republican debate this is a breath of fresh air. These two along with John Edwards would make a great team. Flip a coin and lets get on to the general election and put them to work for our country.

14. KG

Glad to see people's comments rather than all the pundits.....seems like Pundits are pro Obama but the PEOPLE are for Hillary. Let's go Hillary! You have our support unlike what the Pundits want everyone to believe!!!!!

15. FLOWERTREE

I PREFER OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE PLAN. I THINK HILLARY'S MANDATED PLAN SMACKS TOO MUCH OF SOCIALISM. I RESENT GOVERNMENT TELLING ME WHAT I MUST DO.

16. LJH

Go HILLARY! You are much more prepared for this debate. Obama if fumbling. Keep it up Hillary. You know your stuff. President Cinton YOU ROCK

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  17. Patti

Mike–please get your facts straight. Hillary did not even read the misinformation that Bush (via the CIA and George Tennet) provided as a run-up to war. Did not read the intelligence report!!!

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. Craig 4 Ron Paul 08

Its like I am watching a game of extreme dodgeball!

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Yeah. I like everyone else, is seeing that they are obviously going to run together, poor Edwards.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  20. Kim

Why didn't either of the candidates address one of the key issues with affordable health care, lawsuits and rising malpractice insurance rates?

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  21. henry Shelton

crafty hillary by mentioning that we will go back to where taxes were before bush (translation...when Bill was in office) That's looking back vs. finding new solutions that work across party lines.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  22. Ron, McLean VA

The Clintons can not beat the Republican Party? There are too many skeletons in their closets that will hurt the Democratic Party. I truly believe, Democrats will jump ship and swim to the Republican Party to avaoid another Clinton Presidency. I will!!! Without a second doubt about it!!!

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  23. Keena

I love what he just said "I think it's acase of scapegoating" that's right. Thank God for someone asking that question?

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  24. Greg

On immigration, Obama swings for the fences and connects. His border plan is comprehensive and fair and he has this portion of his campaign locked down. This will be a tough rebuttal for Clinton.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. Aileen Daly

Here Is my question: I am a minor but will turn 18 during the next 4 years. If you become president and you choose to run for a second term, what are you going to do during your first term to get my vote? How are you going to appeal to both liberal AND conservative young people? Also, how do you plan to compromise with the Republicans so that you can satisfy people of other political ideologies?

Another question: If the U.S. is attacked by terrorists again, would you send our military back to the Middle East?

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96