January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Daniel

The real question should be, how can the President actually have any real influence in the areas they are debating?

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  2. FLlawstudent

Mom2three – I do not think there will be an Obama/Clinton ticket. Both candidates would require southern, military, and establishment, help on their ticket. Both are Senators so I would imagine a Southern Governor as VP.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. John Lesser

The issue of pensions paid to former members of Congress regardless of whether they served honorably or not must be addressed. If I had been convicted of the crime that Rostenkowski was, I would not have my pension – why should I be paying for his????

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. MJA

So far Obama has been allowed to go first answers all questions....when will Hillary get her turn

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  5. Dee

Can the candidates try harder to buy a vote? Free Health Care? Nothing is free. You will pay and get less. Look how bad Canadas program is. We are a NOT a socialized country and do not want to be one. Why do neither candidate see that? Hilliary's jacket is lovey but what is up with that horrible green jewerly? Once again she is trying to not look like a woman and failing.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  6. Gerry Ohlson

Both candidates are appearing more presidential than the previous debate.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. ruben

Obama seems to be fumbling for thoughts and words more than Clinton, shoots Clinton about Health care mandates but at the same he has no answers for the 15 million who will be left out of his health plan plus he also has mandates. I rather have a clinton mandate than the health care plan that i presently have now that does not pay for anything. Obama is sounding more like a "pick me" for your VP than a presidential candidate...we, we, we, v. clintons "I have a plan, my plan, etc."

Clinton is much more comfortable and ready v. Obama.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  8. Daniel

Please ask a question about gun control.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. Paul

Not Convinced

Higher taxes = Booming Economy?

90's were the technology age, don't blame bush

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. Amy

Obama, shame on you! You ducked. You know good and well that the low wages paid to illegal immigrants has had an adverse impact on African-American employment and has lowered African-American wages.

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. Jill

Hilary and Obama are saying to "tax the people" which will "get us out of debt." if so, people wont be able to afford fancy cars and houses, which puts car companys and realtors in debt. how will this help solve our "American Problems and Debt?"

January 31, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  12. Sandy

They ARE the ticket!

13. Bill Pixley

When is the issue of oil and the cost of gasolline going to be addressed. This is bleeding our country to death. I hear none of the candidates addressing this subject.

14. toebaby

I don't think they will run together. I also don't think Obama is negative. He is just trying to differentiate himself from her and that may mean referencing her from time. Plus, I think it's unfair to say he takes too long to think before he talks... Is that an insult? He speaks well from the heart (in rallies and speeches) and he is definitely intelligent.

15. Sebi T

I hope Hillary will become the presidential nominee and Obama her Vice presidential candidate. After 4 or 8 years, Obama can write history with his added experience. How great that would be for the democratic party! 16 years of history making! After 8 years, no one will say that Obama is inexperienced. But right now, Hillary's answers reflect her experience, whereas Obama is not quite upto the level of Hill. Oh Gosh..my feelings are going right and left while listening to this debate. I love this debate.

16. Anonymous

Hillary and Obama have great words. My question is who is going to pay for it.
    What if the congress has to start paying into the social security fund? I think it would be sovlent, and we wouldn't have to worry about it.
    Everything that comes out of their mouths has been said before and nothing has been done. The Democrats have been in control and all we have see is fighting.
    M.S.

17. andy k

would you please ask how would you cut the cost of goverment at all levels. The feds need more money the state and local says they need more money but help me i am having to cut my budget what about the goverments budget.

18. Mary Ellen

Universal Insurance waiving pre-existing will not work! It will break the system ...we cannot overlook every pre-existing condition.

19. ckavanaugh

Hillary has it hands down so far.
    Wow, who doesn't want her to be head of house hold.

20. Craig 4 Ron Paul 08

Dodge the question, thanks guys! Do I smell Amnesty?

21. Gina

THE DEBATE IS ON NOW LIVE ON CNN's WEBSITE FOR THOSE AT WORK! !

22. CeeMore

I agree with Obama point on Immegrants; don't use it as a tactic to divide.

23. seth

does anyone know their positions on mountain top removal and marriage equality/gal and lesbian rights?

24. Regina

I want to know how they expect people to come up with the intital cash for these health care porgrams?
    Also What will they do regarding insurance companies threating there clients?Right now they have medators who is susposed to be impartial but they ignore them or threaten them.

25. Roxanne

I've heard a lot about Obama making generalities however this is my first time actually watching him speak and they were right. He doesn't list specifics, he is very vague on a lot of points while Hillary lists a lot more facts and figures.

January 31, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96