January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Patt

if you vote for obama you will be upset when he authorizes 40 acres and a mule for all blacks and then the race war starts and all illegal alians are inducted to help fight for his causes and clinton has a real edge to get these things done and the forcefulness behind her to succeed.

2. Teresa

I gotta admit The Hill is taking command. She really sounds to be the better man for the job... No pun intended

3. TX Democrat

Actually, when the question was asked in relation to unemployment among African Americans, in regards to illegal immigrants, Senator Obama made a point to say that unemployment affect all races...not just African Americans. No race card played there. Lets just be fair and listen un-biasedly. They are both clearly getting their points of view out there. Which is what we have been asking for.

4. Sharon of Illinois

You know they don't seem that far apart but the thing is with Congress the way it is – how much can Hillary get done? People really don't like her. That scares me – if she gets elected she can have all the great programs she wants but if people don't want to work with you, you get nothing done.

5. Craig 4 Ron Paul 08

Undocumented?????????? Just say ilegal!!!!!!!!!

6. Kenyotta

Wow...what a lovefest so far. I'm ready for them to get real.

7. DSC

It's interesting that Hillary states she worked in 2004 regarding immigration....but it didn't get any traction until Obama created a bi-partisan coalition to push it through. Also: wouldn't driver's licenses be a great way to track undocumented immigrants?

8. Andrea in Delaware

Finally, Hillary seems like a real person. She is not so much on the defensive. I do like some of her explainations, whether I agree with her or not. I think they can work well together.

9. Greg

Here he goes – Obama is going to make her debate.

10. Jim McKechnie

Given that "promises" and "commitments" are made by the candidates (of all parties) to get elected, wouldn't it be refreshing to have them provide documented proof of all these algorithmic projections of savings after they are elected?

They should be forced to answer up each year, just as a board of directors meeting would "hold the management team accountable" for what they committed....hmmmmm, I wonder if they are anywhere near that comfortable with their savings, cost avoidance and redistribution of our money to be held accountable (you know, like having to sign a resignation letter?????)

11. Luke

John was my number one choice for sure...both times!

12. Amy

Hillary would make an excellent cabinet member. She has a good grasp on policy detail. But remember how her healthcare initiative ran aground. She lacks the charisma and character to unite people around important legislation – for that, we need an Obama. I'd like to see Hillary as a policy czar in an Obama administration. Plays to each of their strengths.

13. Sally Newell

Ask the candidates why they don't tell the American people that the government subsidizes the insurance companies at the rate of $900 per person per month for every senior they sign up for a Medicare supplement package.

And some of these packages actually take away benefits that Medicare would give the seniors if they were not tied into a secondary insurance?

14. Michael

Brilliant! They are working together, staying united in the common cause – win the Presidency!
    Contrast with the idiots on the other side playing the I'm more conservative than you game. – Pathetic

15. Jim ( Independent )

THERE SHE GOES ...........FLIP FLOPPING AGAIN ON THE DRIVERS LICENCE THING.

16. Anthony

I wish Wolf would stop trying to lure the candidates into an argument for the sake of ratings.

17. Elizabeth

I'm happy to see we have a diverse political race, but who cares? I'm happy to see a black American and a female American, but as a female, I'm more concerned with the issues. I cringe to think someone would actually vote because of someone's race/sex.
    Why does it appear that everything is made in China? Why can't I buy products made in America? It's scary.
    Why would we want to ruin Earth by building a cement wall to block people that were probably here before we were here? I don't agree with a wall, but I also don't think someone that isn't a citizen should receive welfare, educaion, and housing benefits. I work a FT job and still have to work a PT job so I can afford to go back to night school to keep and grow within a career; so no, we shouldn't give out money and education to undocumented workers!
    I use to be pro-choice until having my own experience and now feel babies shouldn't be killed.
    I don't fit the replucan party, but I'm so scared of where it looks like we're going.
    Where's Al Gore when we need him?
    thanks,
    Elizabeth, Douglasville GA

18. boots

Barry is toast. He wants to give drivers licenses to illegals..

19. iggy

Obama, stop taking shots and answer the question

20. johnny lawless

Who will put illegal employers in jail?

Will the lack of a drivers license stop an illegal employer from hiring someone? No. It is not a solution to anything. It only makes the undocumented workers that much more beholden to the corporate employers who love to keep them in their place. Is it a surprise the Republicans want to turn this debate on its head and use it to further dehumanize workers? Thank God Obama can stand up to it!

21. M Sullivan

Now Hillary does not agree with giving illegals a driver's license but in a previous debate she defended Spitzer's plan....she talks out of both sides of her mouth!
    She is a master faker....

22. rlstretch

I would like to know why the candidates, this includes the Republican candidates too, would want to give amnesty to people who are openly breakiing the law?
    This doesn't seem fair. The ones who are breaking the law should clearly be sent back.

23. Robert Plasky

Hillary is blowing Obama away on the immigration issue....wow

24. HP

Matt – I completely agree with you. There – Obama started attacking Clinton now – just as I thought – which is still awaiting the Moderator's review 🙂

25. Ed Hanson

I think we are looking at the next President "and" Vice President of the United States....

January 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96