January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Ann Bock

We are half way through the debate and I would just like to compliment the candidates on the civil debate. They are having a good debate, discussing important issues and clarifying their positions on each topic. Both are to be congratulated.

January 31, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  2. Chrysan Gallucci

Let's have both of these candidates on the ballot in November!

January 31, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  3. Norma CA

Hillary is outshining him

4. Carissa

Hillary is most impressive. She has a clear grasp of the issues and well researched solutions. She appears to be the most qualified candidate.

5. joe szymanski

its disgusting i expect obama to lean over and french kiss the old broad any minute. i wouold ask hillary if slick is going to be hiring the interns this time around. also will slick be sleeping at the whitehouse or other laces as yet unknown.

6. mike

Hillary is Amazing. Her answers are right on! Smart. She is the next president!

7. Franklin

For all you Hillary lovers who say Obama does nothing more than talk... Obama does not come from a life of privledge like Hillary, it is more remarkable that someone like Barack Obama has done what he has DONE and that's what makes what he says so inspirational

8. AkishaforObama

A concerned citizen....I wonder why the hosts of this debate are more concerned about whether Obama's previous comments were geared towards Hillary and not the issues. Let's get focused here. We are voting for our next President...this is not a boxing match!

9. Merrell T. Dickey

Thank God we are hearing a debate with substance, civility and solutions based ideas. Compared to last night, these two are leagues above the moronic statements of John McCain who wants to cut taxes and spend more money on the war!!! Either people are on so much Zanex when they are hearing these statements that they don't understand the illogic or they are just stupid!!! To bad there is not such a thing as co-president, but let's make it President and Vice President. Would love to hear how they are going to promote inclusion in this country in the face of exclusionary policies from Bush, Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I want a leader for our freedoms not a pastor in chief who runs a fascist regime disenfranchising gays, etc.

10. Marlene Overheul

As a republican watching the democratic debate, I am concerned about doing my moral obligations and paying more taxes but how can I be sure, and what is the cost of administiring these new programs that my taxed will funding. How can I know that my increased taxes will get to the one that really need it?

11. Kelly McMenimen

Why aren't they talking about global warming????????

12. Joe

I like the way Obama is answering his questions and how point out that Hillary changing her mind a few times about giving driver license to illegal Immigrants.
    NY

13. BD

I personally think that the United States will be in deep trouble if either of these two win. Obama does not put his hand over his heart for the national anthem or pledge of allegiance, and the World is not ready for a woman president. A nationwide health care plan would increase our debt even more. All that these two want to do is increase our national debt. We CANNOT have a president who does not even respect the people that died so that he could have all of the privileges that all of us have today.

14. mabelster

Obama is just not coherent...he's talking in cliche and rhetoric and not answering the questions....

....I hope America can see this...Hilary knows what she is talking about. Wake up America...!

15. Karlos

Barack Obama's words speak loader than Hillary Clinton's actions. I've notived that his words carry more strenght than most people's actions. He makes you feel good about yourself, makes you want to do and be better. I wonder what he could do if actually given the power to act.

16. usha

I am so impressed by Hillary's responses which are much more strategic vs. the basic "politically idealistic" responses by Obama. I really think she is the right person to lead this country and if I wasn't convinced before (which I was) I certainly am now. I hope everyone sees the integrity and realistic outlook she offers with respect to the political future of this nation. VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  17. Graham B. Henry Jr.

I like the way CNN does these no rules debates. Canidates get to answer questions fully.

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Illini

Frank January 31, 2008 8:55 pm ET

I would like to see Hillary in a dress sometime. Those pant suits are not very becoming

What a sexist remark! I'd like to see Obama in a dress too. Now that would be worth watching!

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. George Courtney

I see the Democrats have a tough choice between cake or ice cream. The Republicans have a tough choice between dirt or mud.

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. mschueller

As to the immigration issue, are either candidates acknowledging the fact that immigrants who do not pay into our tax and health care systems are benefiting from both? We as taxpayers pay for this – healthcare, education and our taxes are going up and up – to pay for people who do not contribute to the system.
    Why don't they address this?

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  21. Vanessa

Since Senator Clinton and Senator Obama agree so closely with each other, Hillary should run as President and Obama as Vice President. It seems fair, mainly because Obama could run for President soon after Hillary is out of office.

January 31, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  22. graceunderfire

were is the blue collar democrate that cares about the american worker

January 31, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  23. Anonymous

what a powerful duo as running mates-it's a win win

January 31, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  24. DEMOCRATS 08

I like our choices this time around but Clinton does seem much better at getting to the point and answering the questions...she is not stumbling on her words......Surprisingly Obama seems nervous and does not seem as polished as he has in the past.

January 31, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  25. Gene Bailey

Where is discussion of gas costs? $2.00 a gallon gas would be a better stimulus than $800.00 check and last longer.

January 31, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96