January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. kw

Well, well, finally a debate that doesn't purposely bait the candidates for
    a spitball fight. Nice work on questions, CNN
    Maybe you have finally caught on to what a debate is supposed to be.

2. Tim

They are too nice to each other.....I think one will be the others running mate !!

3. Drew

Finally Hillary has a chance to show her experience and pose against Obama, He has looked very shaky one several questions.

Also Wolf is doing a much better job than Anderson from last night. he is staying on the candidates and pressing them on issues even when they don't look comfortable

4. RR

Hillary is sharp tonite. I like that comment abt a Clinton cleaning up after a Bush, she is hard to beat tonite

5. Teacher4Obama

Gosh at this rate we could have

Bush – Clinton – Bush – CLinton – whose next Jed? then Chelsea?? Anyone concerned about a dynasty – royal families forming so to speak?

6. C.K. BLANTON, WALNUT CREEK, CA

Why oh Why do the questioneers consistently allow Hillary to continue talking about her years and service over the years without bringing up her 'GOLDWATER YEARS!! Plus, they let her get away with her remarks regarding the CHILDREN'S DEFENSE FUND – Marian Edelman came out a couple of days ago and shot the hell out of that one. She also endorsed Obama!!

7. CH in MN

I like her humor. We need a little of that. On issues, they are comparable.

8. Henna

The recent questions aren't really hitting any major issues. I don't want to know who can answer the same question their opponent just answered only reword it and spit it back out, I want to know more about thier views on real issues. Not what they think of each other.

9. Anna

Obama is a little bit like a bumbling teenager. Hillary is strong, confident, and presidential.

10. mike k

hillary hasn't answered a question yet – the kennedy endorsement shook her

11. Disgusted in Oregon

How would the Clintons know how it is to live in the real world...they have always lived in Public Housing and off the tax dollars of the American People...

12. Frances

Wow! This is the first time I've seen Mr. Obama debate or on camera for more than a video clip. He is extremely articulate and bright.
    I see now what the enthusiasm is for him.
    Hillary appears to be old and tired. Barak seems to exude youth, energy and confidence.
    In Oregon's primary I will cast my vote for Barak.

13. SWEDEN

Please ask Clinton whate she think aboute the war in Irak and if she hade ben the president beffore the war started whate she hade dun.

14. James Yu

I want this question to be asked in the debate:

If one of you wins the primary, would you invite the other candidate to be your running mate for the vice presidency?

15. B

But let's not get ahead of ourselves – the question posed was one that many will certainly consider...

16. CBrown1

I am so glad that the bickering has stopped and they are showing a united front. Bickering would have divided the democrats right down the middle. I love it.

17. Jeff Tompkins

I think whomever wins the presidential nomination should pick the other as their running mate. Clinton and Obama make a powerful duo. I would like to hear their thoughts about American Indian issues. I am a Little River Ottawa Indian tribal member and I have concerns regarding the treatment of the American Indians. How about a new monument in Washington D.C. commerating our heritage? Many tribal customs and languages (many tribes are now extinct) have been lost.

18. MMS

Wow! I have always been a Hilary supporter but after Obama's last two speeches I thought – he is refreshing - it's time for a change. I started to think I couldn't handle defending the Clinton's for another 4-8 years. But tonight - she is rocking! I am completely impressed by her answers and she is winning me back quickly. She seems so comfortable and confident up there, while Obama seems nervous. I am confused. The last question was incredible - 30 years of Bush or Clintons! I never thought about it like that... that is mind boggling. What to do, what to do?

19. Luke

My daughter could clean up Bush's mistakes....in 15 minutes....

20. Patty

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Hillary's comment -It took a Clinton to clean up a Bush's mess, and it may take another Clinton to clean up this Bush's mess.
    Hillary is doing fantastic in this debate. Obama is also doing good, but boy you can really tell out of the 2 who would be the better President.
    HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Micah

I don;t appreciate the fact that Wolf Blitzer is baiting Obama to say something negative, They need to let the audience ask the questions.

22. Char

Yes! I think it will take another Clinton to clean up the Bush mess! Horray for Clinton on that one. It looked like the question would be in Obama's favor but she turned it around and hit a home run!

23. mdechiara

My memory of the Clinton legacy – "Welfare reform, NAFTA, "Don't Ask Don't Tell". This was not leadership that helped the Democratic cause. Why don't these get mentioned?

24. Marcia

I agree with Denise. I find it hard to trust Hillary. She says a lot of things, but when it comes down to it, I'm not sure she will follow through for the "regular" people like Obama will. I think she is too entrenched in Washington politics.

25. Justin

Hillary is weak because Bill campaigns for her more than she does. It also seems that he is very rude and makes remarks that should hurt her in the long run. I really think that he does not want to be the first man.

January 31, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96