January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. laurie

No, Hillary. We all remember that you were the one who didn't read the NIE report before voting to go to war. It is arguably the most important decision you ever made and you made it with half information and you got it wrong.

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. TS

Why isnt there a camera behind Blitzer and others so that the capture the Canidates eyes?

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. sinbad

Obama just doesn't have a clue on the military issues, who is advising him on the issue??? Quit studdering....... muddy and fuzzy????

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. Audrey

i would like to know how both candidates would keep jobs in the United States. We have companies all over the US closing up shop and opening up companies in other countries because it is cheaper.

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. in TX

I'm sorry but I just realized tonight Hillary just really doesn't get it... not at all... having the first minority or female as President is not the kind of change we the American people are wanting (its good but not what we mean we say change).

We are looking for the change of our Government working together and including us in the process... uniting this country towards a common cause... if she doesn't get that, get ready for another era of government decisions that is clueless to the needs of the common everday person.

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  6. L. Egan

Hillary comes across as a know it all bully. Who wants to have her and Bill again in the Whitehouse? They have proved to be very slimy, secretive and phony. Let's move on from the politics of destruction and greed and ambition that the Clinton's pride themselves on. They want nothing but MORE POWER, not what is good for the American people...let Barack have a shot!!!

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. Cswoods

I am fed up with you Clinton supporters using Obama's studderness as a vantage point. Give the man break! He is doing the best he can! Let's not forget the man did attended and graduated from two Ivy League universities! There must be about 300 words going through his brain every 5 seconds! Okay!!!

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  8. JEWS 4 OBAMA

OBAMA IS A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.
    I think it is imporant for Obama to win the election to end US Imperialism in the middle east, for this has made more "TERRORISTs". BUSH killed thousands of them, but created a generation of millions. Obama is the right canidate for the better!!

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  9. Shawne

So Hillary doesn't reallt have any 'plan' for pulling out of Iraq after all, does she?
    While she continues to try and 'act Presidential', Obama tells it straight – I believe him.

I wish CNN would not be so clearly biased in how the moderators apporach these debates – it is very discouraging, especially when a citizen is trying to get a fair sense of who these candidates are.

Present clear questions with equal time for both to answer, please.

January 31, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. SA

So far a great debate. Hillary is so incredibly well versed. How interesting to watch Obama's deadpan expression when she made the bush clinton, bush clinton remark. His face is worth a thousand words.
    She is a doer He only the dreamer.
    She is not being baited by his SUBTLE swipes. Wolf, good for you. You are being fair as usual.
    How many time does Obama have to say he did not vote for the war...kinda of reminds me of Guiliani's 911 mantra.

11. ray

wow, we are going to leave Iraq, and going to have Universal Healthcare.:)) NOw come on can really get thisdone with all the money in Washington???

12. Jim Puskar

Both candidates are making excellent presentations of their ideas on the issues. Makes a fella proud to be a Democrat. Too bad Wolf Blitzer is so set on getting them to devolve into arguments on minor issues like who was first to make various statements on the issues or whether immigrants get drivers' licenses.

13. Collette

Then Obama to clean up after a clinton?

14. Aimee

OBAMA...I choo choo choose you!!

15. Vickie Miller

It appears that both Hillary and Obama have opinions that are the same, WHEN WILL THEY REALLY GET IT? Can thay put asign their ego's and see that maybe we need both of them to get this county back on track. I have always told my staff that one person was my right hand and the other person was my left hand. I would be a fool to think that I can do everything on my own, not to mention on the first day!!

Get real let's work together, they will make a great team, forget about who is going to be the president!!

VBM

16. Chris

I believe Hillary is just plain disingenuous. She is not forthcoming with information. She's not responding directly to some pointed questions.

I'd like to know why Hillary refuses to comment on taking money from PACs and lobbiests. How can she bring about change when she supports big money? Big money doesn't represent you and me, it represents the wealthy people and big corporations.

I believe she could be more effective initally because of her connections as a result fo being a Clinton, not because of her so called experience. Unfortunately, I think that effectiveness would be short lived and all the Presidency would do for her is make her family even wealthier.

I want real change. Enough status quo, enough corruption, enough of big money influencing our lives!

17. Richard Strauss

Given the fiscal mess that the Bushies have gotten us into, it seems that a tax increase and spending cuts will be inevitable. What spending would you cut and how will you sell that to the moderate republicans and independents you will need to win the election?

18. Tracy (Georgia)

I am 42 years old and sick of Bush, Clinton, Bush and Maybe Clinton. We need new blood, new energy, new faces, new strength. The Clinton's hands are not clean from this mess we are in. They need to move out of the way!

19. Jeanne

this is a very smart man!

20. knut

Hillary just didn't anwser the question again! More polished blah blah blah.

21. Mickey Hagen

More promises, promises, lies, lies lies.

22. J.Baxter

would somebody please explain to me why we can go into another country and tell them what is right from wrong?And yet we don't go into Mexico and tell them how to keep their people home. And why do we continue to buy goods from communist countries? Why don't we have our own military watching our borders when we have them protecting other countries borders?

23. Ladyvet1

I'm really enjoying the exchange tonight on major issues that are affecting our country. Our country is in a real domestic and foreign affairs mess. We need someone in the oval office who will bring bi-partisan lawmakers together to accomplish the clean up of the mess, not someone who will continue the same policy making that has gone on for over 20 years. Our children deserve a "fresh start" and I don't see how anyone other Sen. Obama being able to pull it off. He may not be able to do it in one term, how can? I am convinced that with his wisdom, his attitude, and his innate ability to bring about a sense of calm, he can begin to bring us out of the mess we're in. Mrs. Clinton is a wonderful politician but being a woman who is about her age, I can't see her having the stimula nor the fortitude to really fight the "good ole boy" establishment. I don't believe that her character is strong enough. Also, I don't think we need a "three-peat" in the White House with her and x-President Clinton. Obama is my choice because he has focus and he doesn't owe any political debts.

24. Cain Johnson

Hillary seems to know the issues more, even though it seems bringing her back is a thing of the past

25. sboyd

Barack is very presidential – I can't wait to see him debate in the fall!

January 31, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96