January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. saundra

I know there is a negative impact on black folks due to illegal immigration. Obama does not see it. Oh well, then I do not see him in the white house.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. Eddie Miller

If I could have a dollar for every name that Clinton dropped I would be a billionaire

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. Richard Strauss

Since Edwards dropped out, I was leaning toward obama, but hillary is scoring lots of points with me. She seems very presidential.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. Karla

She takes every question and goes so deeply into the answer. She is one of the most intelligent candidates that we have ever had in American history.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  5. Beast250

The Republicans put Government everywhere it doesn't belong and remove it from everywhere it does. I would vote for Satin, if he could beat the Republicans in 08. Who can beat the Republican Candidate?

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. rpollock

as iraq is being discussed did anyone watch the hbo doc. bagdad hospital

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. Jeff

I think there is something to the question about the Bush/Clinton dynasties of the past couple decades. Although I do respect Hillary Clinton's accomplishments, I think she is too connected to the decisive red/blue state politics of the past. Conservatives will be as unhappy about a Clinton presidency as we liberals have been about Bush. We need to move beyond the decisive politics of the past 16 years and bring this country back together. And honestly, I think Obama is in a much better position to bring about this reconciliation so he will be getting my vote.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  8. patricia Stone

We should talk with our enemies – better than invading them and sending the US into economic and moral tragedy.

Obama is the right person for this time.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. christiB

Wolf Blizter is driving me crazy! Why does he keep attacking Barak Obama? He is giving an advantage to Hillary every five minutes by trying to through Obama off with his side handed questions and remarks.

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. keith carey

Hillary voted to stop weapon inspectors in IRAQ, WOW, she sure has BAD JUDGMENT!

January 31, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. Kelly Davin-Robar

Wow.....

I cannot believe how much tiiimmmeee...you are giving HILLARY!
    Wolf-you need some serious moderator training!! That was a "swipe" at Hillary?

Isn't this supposed to be a debate??? I think Barack was poining out a profound difference between he and Hillary.

QUESTION to HILLARY:

What makes you the ENVIRONMENTAL CANDIDATE? In all of your eyars (35, right?), of public service what REAL environmental legislation have you written or co-written?

Give Brarack some TIME. Wolf-you suck!!!

12. Dem08

Hillary has committed to ending the war. Lets note that Obama keeps looking at the past, while Hillary Clinton is talking about the future. I do not care how we got into war or who voted for it. Hillary has explained her vote. Now lets look toward the future.

13. Gerri

Has every woman that stays at home forgotten about Hillary's comment that
    "she didn't stay home and bake cookies", well take it from me and a lot of other stay at home Mom's, we will remember that when we go to the polls.

14. Robin H. in Vancouver, Canada

Watching those two, on stage, in that position, poised to become the leader of the free world, makes my eyes well up with tears of joy. Bravo. The only thing that could top this is for Hillary to be President and Barack, Vice-President for 8 years, so Barack could have the following 8 years as President. Canada loves you both.

15. Dale

Hillary is a mature PERSON with a reality base on negotiation, not a pie in the sky view point. When I was 20 I wanted to end the war in VietNam NOW. Maturity helps you understand that absolutes are never possible. You have to work to get the things you want, they don't just happen because you want them to.

16. Johan (New York)

Is Wolf Blitzer part of the Clinton campaign?
    He keeps asking questions that favor Clinton like "that's a swipe at you, isn't it"

17. WenMD

Please stop focusing on the illusion of likability - everyone thought GWB was the guy to have a beer with – there's nothing about personality that trumps the strong command of the issues and balance that needs to be in place on day one.

Hillary has the skill, depth, and presence we need – I love to be inspired, but I can get that at church. What I *need* is security, a universal health care coverage, and the knowledge that my president actually can get things done even after giving a glowing speech.

18. Marcelle

I am a HAITIAN woman watching all the debates. There is a high percentage of Haitians in USA, I hope you will remember that. A lot of us are educated and hard working; a lot of us too are having immigration problems and financial problems. Be aware of our presence.

Good luck to whoever wins. I am proud of both of you. You are making history. The Black Committee has a role model, now that Jessie and Al are getting older.
    The women are uplifted; and the WHOLE USA IS REPRESENTED.

Marcelle

19. carol

please candidates, loose the cheery rhetoric of economic stimulus. Do nothing about the debt burden and you do nothing. We don’t need stimulus; we need economic change, and economic justice. If you get rid of credit ratings, or just clear up the American people's credit. The economy will be stimulated. I could go buy something and not have to worry about collectors calling. After 7 years your credit should be clean, but it is not. That is why people are losing their homes, because they are worried about their credit rating and have to decide on maintaining the American dream or eating. Why should those who have celebrity status, and just doctors or lawyers drive nice cars, nice homes etc. I work and make 41,0000 dollars a year and I spend my time correcting my mistakes when I was younger and in college because of the lack of knowlege of how to use credit I am in debt as well as other Americans. Just clear up the debt and our economy will be stimulated.

Hussein should have remained in Iraq. America has it's own problems. We are not the police of the world. America is selling our Americans up the river.

20. DemReg

If a democrat becomes president it will definitely be Obama. He is more level headed in his responses and does not rely on his Spouses presidency to help his campaign.

21. I'm a democrat

I like being lied to. Give me 4 more years of Bill

22. Michael Johnson

And how are any of these candidates going to get anything done? Democrats or Republicans the people who lead this country are the idiots in Congress. I DONT BELIEVE any of the candidates can get any of these things done. People dont realize this. I am willing to bet my retirement that two years from now we will not have anything done and be weaker on the world stage.

23. ed stone

How about Bill Clinton for Sec. of State?

24. Saadia

It is substansive but they can make it more fun.

25. hilda

A terrific debate! Both opponents are quick, thorough and to the point. They are actually tackling the issues! However, I've never heard either of the candidates views on how they would handle the Israeli/Palestian issues.

Can this question be included please? Thankyou.

Hilda
    Washington State

January 31, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96