January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Linda

I agree with B! What is the plan to better care for the veteran and their families?? Neither candidate is being realistic about the challenges they'll face in Congress. I think Obama may be better at "reaching across the aisle."

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. Teresa in charlotte, NC

Please Hillary, stop slinging or dropping names around. Maxine Waters and all of the Kennedy's and every American gets one vote. I am so tired of the dropping names. Just drop your ideas and allow Americans to support you based on trust. Ask Hillary if she is the democratic nominee, does she plan to drop names or does she plan to continue using the line "if I knew then what I know now", when does she plan to say I made a mistake and move on?

January 31, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  3. hugo

wolf be a moderator for this historic moment. stop trying to insert confrontation into the debate. issues should be the line of discussion here!

4. ray

Right, Obama can win 40+ states, while with Hillary it will be a 24-26 and who know which side will win, Obama can bring in REAGAN REPUBLICANS TO THE THEIR SIDE... Hillary will be to divisive..

5. Repub turned D-crat

memo to GOP:

This is how winning candidates conduct themselves and debate issues that affect America. I know many of you are disappointed in the McCain, Romney, Huckabe, Presidential want-a-bes..., so admit that this team will fix what your Bush failure broke and vote for a real solution to the GOP's 8 year screw up.

6. paul

OBAMA WOULD NOT LAST IN A DEBATE WITH SENATOR McCAIN.....GO HILL

7. bigmike

she can't answer issues and still dropping names. she trouble on her own, some people look at bill through her, she made a mistake on her vote obama didn't.

8. pippsell

Yeah...I would go for a Clinton/Obama ticket.

9. hardworkinman

what ever happend to freeing people around the world bosnia, kosavo, but not iraq ?

10. Aviator4444

Clinton voted for the war and supported Bush. End of story.

11. robin

Hillary makes excellent points, conveys her thoughts well. I believe she has a better understanding of the 'system' and will go toe to toe, not backing down.

12. sea

What a cheap excuse to vote against Bush having to come back ton congress and also remember she had a well informed adviser at home, her husband, who just left the WH

Sorry she has no credibility when it comes to Iraq and I am so tired of her admitting her misjudgment

13. emmanuel

This is a mature and experienced woman. (A woman in a place of power cannot appear timid and too friendly) Look at Margeret Thatcher

America should vote Hillary

14. brenda

Hillary answers the questions point blank, Obama is giving his usual rhetoric (no substance). Please America pay attention and vote to put the best Democrat up against the Republicans...this can only mean Hillary.

15. laurie

Obama looks to the future, he sees what can be. he knows our future is not soundbites, but carefully crafted positions based on substance and principle.

Hillary has to keep bringing up the past and what Bill did.

16. Sally

If Dems nominate Clinton, there will most certainly be another Replublican in the White House in 2009!! Democrats neeed to realize that whomever they nominate, will actually HAVE to run against McCain (probably) - Hillary would NOT win that contest, and the Democratic party will lose in the end!! If we really want to put a Democrat in the presidency, we need to pit Obama against the Republican candidate - the Republicans know this and are hoping to see Hillary nominated! Wake up people!!

17. badmammah

I want both of them to talk to about raising my flat wages!!!!!

18. Lateef

Too many Questions for Senator Clinton. What about Obama questions

19. jdcma

I agree. It seems that Wolf/CNN tries to poke sticks to instigate things...rather than let the conversation flow. There's a difference between trying to elicit differences and just trying to instigate things.

20. LPE

Watching the debate tonight is someone fraustrating. It appears that all or a majority of the questions have been developed for Hillary Clinton. Correct me if am wrong, but are there not two people still in this race? There are those of us that would like to hear the views of BOTH candidates! Why are the majority of the questions geared towards Hillary? How is this a debate?

21. pam goode

As an American Citizen and a woman, I feel that the Boys Club, including Senator Obama, are patronizing Senator Clinton because she is a woman.
    Let's face it, women have to work twice as hard as any man to prove themselves, I know this first-hand, having a background in upper management with a mostly male environment.
    I hope that the American Afro-Americans, as well as others, look at the issues, the solutions, and and who has a plan to solve them. I feel Senator Clinton is the women for the job. She is experienced, so much so that Senator Obama, can try to crush her on her job record. Hindsight is always better than the right now. She has made decisions based on information available at that time. Oh, by the way, I'm am not a supporter of this war. Again, I have first-hand experience on that, My son-in-law served 18 months in Afghanistan, leaving my daughter with two small children, under the age of four. I know what's happening over there. My son-in-law was a very conservative Republican before serving, now he is a Democrat.

I'm curious, will Senator Obama, if elected, take his oath on the Holy Bible or the Koran?
    I'm sorry I know that in America we have freedom of religion, however, this Country was built on the Christian religion.

I am glad that this debate has been civil, however I heard Obama drop the Kennedy name. Go ahead and drop Oprah's name while you're at it. I had alot of respect for Oprah before she announced her support of Obama, I don't watch her show anymore. Someone in her position, should not make that public.

Hillary is the woman for the job. She really cares about people like me and by husband. We have a very hard time making it, between health care expenses, gas prices, and groceries. I had the rug pulled out from me five years ago, at my prime, because of health issues.

In our town the immigration population, according to our city's census can't be accurate. At our local Wal-Mart, we are lucky to see anyone who speaks English. The signage is in English and Spanish. Teddy Roosevelt put it well, come to our country,however, speak our language, and fly our flag. That is not happening in our town.

Please vote for Hillary. Pam Goode, Winchester VA

22. Tyler

Both of these candidates have great policies on many issues that are important to this country, the only thing that i am happy with is this will be the first year i can vote, and i know that whether my vote goes to clinton or obama i have the oppotunity to place my vote no only on someone who will make change, who will help bring this country back to where it needs, deserves, and has for a long time wanted to be, and on top of that i will be able to place a vote change the face of my life, change the face of America, and change the face of history.

23. reba

name dropping is sooo low-brow....yes Hil, we know you have big named friends, but it's Obama who has gone for the many of small named citizens to back him...

CARPETBAGGER HILLARY....

24. Wesman

Why Has EVERY Question That Politico.com Asked was For Sen Clinton? I'd Like To Know Why Sen Obama Thinks He Is Qulified To Be President By Being a State Sen and ONLY Been In The US Sen For Less Than 2 Years! And Voting PRESENT 135 Times..

25. Jim P

Hillary does not need bill Steve. You will have to research it but Hillary was against nafta and told Bill no. I saw it on tv from a pundant the other night, not sure which channel but it wasn't fox. Bill is just a better speaker.

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96