January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Dave Thomas

Ron Paul was never fooled. He voted against the Iraq war from the start. Should we vote for someone that was so easily fooled e.g. Hilary?

January 31, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. nick arcia

people keep commenting on how well clinton speaks, well thats nice, of course she does she an old school politico tha same kind of politician that has frozen D.C . this is what they do.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  3. Margo Cory

Why are you letting Hillary DOMINATE the debate! GIve them equal time!!!

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  4. Paulite

Barb in Dallas January 31, 2008 9:12 pm ET
    wrote:
    This is the most informative debate that I have observed.

Too bad the media won't let ANY of us hear from Ron Paul. They don't want us to be informed. The good Dr. offers the best of both worlds, crosses party lines.
    Freedom & liberty.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Edward Reynolds

You have got to be kidding me. All candidate are not aware or addressing the issues. When I live in a town of 12,000 in Indiana, and there are 4000 jobs at our local boom warehouse district, and more than 2000+ of these workers are illegal immigratrants. These are hard sought after jobs with health benefits and IRA's. These are such prestigious companies such as Conagra foods, Case New Holland Tractors, Time Life Publishing, Home Depot, Pearson Education and the list goes on. These are not the jobs all delegates claim are affected. One immigrant told me today, "The jobs they, the delegates, talk about only pay $5.25 an hour, are they kidding, why would I want that when I can make the same 14-16 dollars an hour just like you. This situation has destroyed our local economy.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  6. Bill M

Obama is the new JFK

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  7. Marcela

this will be my first time voting for a president, I got my citizenship a year ago or so. I am an immigrant, and the way Democrats deal with immigration issues is so much human than Republicans do, there is no way I would vote for them. The debate is very interesting and both candidates are doing a great job. In the previous weeks I have been turned off by the way Hilary has attacked Obama's record, but I also see that the press is a lot harder on her. I am just very proud of the Democratic Party for having two candidates that challenge the standards.

January 31, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  8. Jacob S

First of all, I'd like to say that I believe we have two excellent Democratic Candidates running for president. However, one of the things that hasn't been addressed is the audacity of our candidates. After all, we've plainly seen that Democrats in congress haven't accomplished as much as they could have, or should have for that matter. Personally, I believe that Democrats in congress could have gotten so much more done if they had just stood up to our current President. I guess my question here is, what can either Hillary Clinton or Barrack Obama do to show that they, unlike some of our candidates in congress, have the audacity to stand up against Republicans, Special Interests Groups, and any other adversary to their administration.

9. Dave

Decriminalize Marijuana. Fighting the war on Marijuana costs our country billions of dollars a year as well, and all the profit from the drugs could be used to help pay off our 4 trillion dollar debt instead of funding 24" rims on the Cadillac Escalade's owned by the street level dealers.

10. Brett

Obama is much more precise with his answers and follows this with conviction. He will be more likely than Clinton to follow through with what he has promised.

11. ali

with all those people as audiance still boring,i was suporting obama till opra came to scene ,he is talking about change meantime enjoys suport of kennedys,clintons have had mistakes but vote for clinton is vote against gop,bush ,rush limbos and gingriches..go Hillary go girl

12. ellie

As someone earning less than $20k per year, I still don't see how I could afford either candidate's health plan premium. I want a single-payer, true universal plan like the rest of the world instead of supporting insurance company ceo's.

13. ann

Please Wolf, let them debate the issues and stop trying to ignite a flame that isn't there. They are not taking "swipes" at each other. They are - FINALLY - debating policy differences. Let them.

14. puddytat

A four month investigation by N.Y. Daily found that most of the money of the relief package was squandered. ... and none of it went to the 9-11 related expenses . .... she responded as is her fasion... she asked for another 20

15. Melanie

Great answer Barack! He is much stronger on Iraq than her. "Setting the bar so low that it's burried in the sand"

16. LAMA

Both candidates talk about great changes they will make, yet neither one has been able to say how they will actually make those changes. Talk is cheap.

17. nicole

It seems to me that there is a complete lack of balance in the number of questions and speaking time of the candidates. CNN moderators are clearly directing more questions and giving more time to Clinton. Obama is more of an afterthought.

18. Robert Plasky

Just think of the republican/democrate debate..with McCain and Hillary or Obama, discussing the Iraq war....could the show be any better...

19. matthew

HIllary won A LOT of votes tonite!

She's AMAZING!

20. yo

"There is no difference between me and George Bush on the war" – Obama...check it out for yourself

21. AP

CAN WE GET AN UN-BIASED MODERATOR!!!! GOD THIS IS CRAZY!! SHE'S TALKING FOREVER WITH NO INTERUPTIONS FROM WOLF!!

22. Ana

If I didn't know better, I'd think this is rigged. I submitted comments earlier in favor of Obama, but they were not posted. I won't say anything too deragatory about Hillary this time and maybe it will show up on here. Of the two candidates, I feel that Obama is much more sincere and realistic. I think it is admirable that he hasn't used money from lobbyists to run his campaign. I feel that Hillary is saying what she believes everyone wants to hear and in my opinion contradicts herself. She definitely wants the presidency, but I'm not so sure she'd be able to fill the shoes once she got there. I believe that were Obama to reach the presidency, he would work well with both sides which is ultimately necessary to get the job done.

23. Shawn

This country does not want to make race an issue in this election. I agree that race should not be an issue. Gender, as well should not be an issue. If Barack were to blatantly say it is time for an African-American President, this country would be in an up-roar. However, Ms. Clinton is permitted to attempt to capitalize on her gender by saying it is time for a woman be president. She constantly makes mention of her gender and it always go unchallenged by reporters, commentators, political analysts and debate hosters. Stop playing the Gender card, Ms. Clinton.

24. jeremyemilio

What an awful night for the GOP.

25. Heidi

Wish Wolf would stop looking for swipes! What difference does it make that they point out their differences. It is, after all, an ELECTION. It seems like the commentators are leaning toward giving Hillary more air time to respond, and opportunities to give the quick quips.

Obama by far shows the strength in looking forward. Everytime Hillary talks about it she reverts back to her husband's term or the reasons she rejects the policies of the Bush admin.

January 31, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96