January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. LilA

Great debate -best so far. I believe both came out strong, but Hillary has the edge. The Dream Team!

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. Betty MacDonald

A wonderful debate, I am having a hard time to decide which one to vote for.

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  3. Vincent NY

Well, I see you didn't put my comment through, well that tells alot. I'll get the message out about CNN. You know free speech!, not media preferences.

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  4. Lorri

Thought Senator Clinton was brilliant!!!

January 31, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  5. Momut

Isn't it nice that Hillary wants everyone to accept her excuse, "if I'd known then what I know now, I'd done things differently..." What a cop-out. President Bush would've probably done things differently if he knew then what he knows now, but Hillary won't give Bush the same treatment or benefit of the doubt that she expects everyone to give her. What a hypocrite!

Hillary, take responsibility for your vote for the war. Adults take responsibility for their actions: they don't make excuses for their actions.

January 31, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  6. peter`

a clinton cleaning up after a bush!! again!!! that is the statement of the century in american politics!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  7. jeanne

well, I have to admit it...this was a very good debate...this coming from an Independent...!!! Not, bad...what I witnessed last nite...McCain..Romney...I am looking at an old war and fear monger..who shows his bitterness over Nam...and a slick businessman who will keep things "as usual" in Washington...!!!

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. eltee in MD

Prior to this debate, I was uncommited. Afterwards I tend to lean more for Hillary. I just feel that with all of the problems that are facing us, she's better equipped to handle them. I love Obama, but I sincerely feel that in a national election, people that say they will vote for him will do something different once they are in the privacy of the voting booth. Change is nice, but change plus experience is better. Remember Jimmy Carter – nice guy that campaigned on change – but was a disaster as president. I remember that too well and I hope that Obama is not a reincarnation.

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. spc39

I was very pleased that both candidates shared more details of their positions on major issues. Much less important, but I noticed that, at the end of the debate, Senator Obama held Senator Clinton's chair and, as well, pushed his own chair back in under the desk, which tells me that he's both well-mannered and a gentleman.

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  10. Rachelle Crockett

Both Obama and Clinton provided a spirited debate and they both appear confident in their policies on the war and health care. I've never seen Barack so confident and I've never heard Hillary speak so eloquently. It was a good night and I still don't know who I'm voting for:)

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  11. LeRose

Both candidates did a good job but Clinton is more qualified and will better fend off the Republican attack machine. (She's more experienced with this too. )

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  12. L. West

On the healthcare issue, there is some confusion. Hillary Clinton's mandate does not mean the government will pay for your health care. Universal health care in other countries is subsidized or paid for entirely by the country. Not so in America. Here we go with the war on words. Obama is being more honest here. IF you cannot afford insurance you cannot pay for it. If it is mandated, the Government says you must have it, even if you can't afford to pay for it. It will be against the law not to have it. But they won't be paying for it. IF you don't have a job or don't make enough and can't afford it, you'll be penalized. They will fine you , penalize you, attach your wages to pay for MANDATED health care. If they do that, then who is in control of your wallet? That health care payment you can't afford, which gets automatically deducted from your check, could be the reason you can't pay your rent, or childcare or food. Mandate is not the word. Affordability is the word. Obama has the right plan and not just words that sound right.

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  13. Canada

Obama was right on all issues!

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  14. billrieken

I loved the economy and the balanced federal budget during the first Clinton administration and I felt very much the same way about the Clinton administration as II did during the Kennedy years in the White House ... hopeful about the country heading in the right direction. Having Bill Clinton as a very close adviser in the White House to the next president is a definite plus in my book!

January 31, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  15. Ralph Lowry

A very civil, very intelligent debate; two very impressive and articulate personalities. A highlight for me was the audience's booing of Wolf Blitzer's inane question regarding Hillary's supposed naivete.

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  16. Marshall from TN

Each of them played fair and by the rules. While Hillary seemed fired up and primed, she fed a lot of crap to the audience to get their applause. Obama on the other hand came prepared with more concrete answers to the tough questions while being mild mannered. Neither of them showed that they wanted to be panted as the "bad guy" by the media. To me though, he showed more leader-like qualities to me than Hilary did tonight. BOT WERE EXTREMELY POLITE. Not too much fun to watch, but very informative all the same. Obama to me wins a placid, political chess match of words and wisdom and as a independent undecided voter, if asked to vote today, I wold cast my ballot for Obama. And yes, I do know his middle name is Hussein.

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  17. renee

Wow. History was just made. Both were great. Beat any of the Republicans hands down. Pulling for Hillary, but will endorse whoever gets the ticket.

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  18. PG

Hillary is the most qualified by far. Obama needs more time. She is very knowledgeable and extremely intelligent and has a good grasp of every aspect needed to be President. The best line tonight was from Hillary Clinton,..
    "It took a Clinton to clean up after the first Bush and it will take another Clinton to clean up this mess from this Bush."

I would vote for her without hesitation. Would like to see Obama run for VP with her.

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  19. Yann

It was a great debate in the beginning and I did like both of them. But after the first interruption, it seems that most of the questions were for Hillary Clinton...I felt it unfair...

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  20. alfred placeres

Hillary's got the right stuff and can hold her own with anyone.

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. Joe

Well you have to love Democracy. Where else can one voice their opinions without fear, oh wait maybe Bush is monitoring what we are all saying

January 31, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  22. Ken

Clinton has been "schooled" by the best (Clinton ex-staff, etc.) to give the most politically "proper" responses and she parrots this advice not her true personal commitment – she has none – none which is constructed to win the nomination. She is ethically bankrupt. She is a corporate mouthpiece.

Obama, I believe, is real, walking the fine line between what the "average" American wants to hear vs. what reality and history show is the only proper course. He, too, has been "schooled" but does not, nor does not want I think, the same cadre of counselors available to Clinton.

January 31, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  23. Joshua-Amir

Obama really made a clear contrast between the two of them. He clearly represent "Citizenship, Leadership, and Schloarship"!

January 31, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. God Bless Bush

What a joke CNN- are you afraid to post my comments? TRUE SCARED LIBS
    Guess that's why the Right is Right! Goodnight and my condolences in the general election.

January 31, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  25. Leigh Ann

Overall, Obama was polished, poised, inspiring, commanding, genuine, unwavering, and clear. Those are the qualities I desperately want in my next president. Qualilties that have been missing for 8 years. Obama is my choice for president because he shows me that we can be the country we once were, and even better-through struggle, but coming out victorious.

January 31, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96