January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Ed

It will take two Clinton's to clean up after this Bush. Hillary/Obama rocks.

January 31, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  2. Emmanuel

HIllary was amazing I wish her to be Prez, Obama vice prez

January 31, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  3. NYer for Obama

Sen Obama gives the new generation of voters reason to go to the polls as he has proven. He wins Independents and disaffected Republicans. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a recipe for victory in November, Dont throw it away.

January 31, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  4. Courtney

Since when did "spouse control" become a part of political discussion? Very, very stupid.

January 31, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  5. beatrice

I like the debates, it was refreshing to see both Obama and Hillary talking about the issues without attacking each other. I support Obama. Both candidates clearly talked specifically about issues iraq war, economy, health care.

January 31, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. YC Cheung

My impression of Hillary Clinton is that, like Bill Clinton, she always moves to the center on most issues (like Iraq and Immigration) in anticipation of future elections, moves to the left during Democratic primary elections and then to the center during general elections. I don't know which is the real Hillary Clinton. On the other hand, I feel that Obama is honest, more straight forward and genuine.

YC Cheung

January 31, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. curious onlooker

Both are discussing the need for change. Why hasn't this changed happened already like so many Democrats stated would happen when they took both houses? I don't understand why you would tell the enemy when you're pull the troops out? Everyone can see this debate and can plan if either gets elected how to carry out attacks or lay low until we are gone. I don't care what position we each have, I think a known deadline is a trap.

January 31, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  8. Maureen

I agree Courtney. Spouse control was such a stupid question.!!!

January 31, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  9. Jason

Awesome!!!
    It started a lot like a prize fight. Lots of hype. Expectaions of a hard fought battle.
    A few less elbows than I expected, but lots of substance. I enjoyed it very much.

January 31, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  10. Carrie Ann

I miss John Edwards, but will support either of the candidates. I agree that with either candidate we are looking at a step up from the disaster of an administration that we have now.

One question though – does anyone care about the environment? I am getting tired of my most important issue being flat out ignored. Our solutions to our environmental challenges are our ticket to a new American Era – it's so obvious...at least to me.

January 31, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  11. cimmerian

Polite, how he helped her with her chair.

January 31, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  12. Patty

I am a registered republican in California. Actually, I am a Romney fan. I wish I could re-register as a democrat before the primary. I would like to vote for Sen. Obama. Not because I think he is the best option; because Hillary scares me to death.

January 31, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  13. Eileen Roth

At this point, I wish I could vote for both.

January 31, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  14. christy

Vincent NY, amen. They blocked my comments too. There goes free speech. All I said essentially was the we can't trust Clinton nor most politicians, but with Barack you really get the sense that he believes in being as truthful with us as is reasonable within the political reality. And that the Presidency requires intelligent, careful inspiration, not dogmatic bureaucracy.

Barack/Edwards 2008

January 31, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. Fox

OBAMA 4 Prez!!!!! In my opinion he CLEARLY won the debate tonight!!!!

GO Obama! GO Obama!! Go Obama!! Go Obama!! Go Obama!!

January 31, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  16. Mark Manz

I was unsure about both, but now I must say I am going to send ballot tomorrow and vote for clinton. there was about 30 of us watching at work and all but one are now voting for Clinton.

January 31, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. Sonali

Go Hillary GO!

Obama stutters and forgets words... He can only delivere speeches given to him by writers. Hillary is extremely thorough and is brilliant. But I am sure the spin machines at CNN are going to spin everything in Obama's favor.

I am for Clinton all the way!!!

January 31, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. s. walker

I'm very glad they were not sniping at each other and addressed the issues. I would have turned it off if the started that crap. I believe they both had good ideas in certain areas. I still know who I would vote for in primaries if my state would allow independents to vote in Democratic primary. I would like to see Obama in the White House, he seems level headed and a fresh approach. I especially like the stance about talking to foreign heads of state even if they don't share our ideal or even like us.

January 31, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. Carl

I thought the debate was great. And Hillary was great. Hillary would make a much better President than Obama because she's been first lady for 8 years under Bill Clinton when he was President, and this gives her an advantage over Obama due to her knowledge and experience on how the White House works. And it is time for the U.S. to have its first female U.S. President in U.S. history. Go Hillary all the way to the White House when she will be sworn in as our next President in January 2009!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  20. Karen

I do hope that the dems win in November no matter what. I think it would be fabulous to have a Hillary/Obama ticket. Obama still seems too wet behind the ears. However, his inspiration has changed so much. I am so glad the young people (our future) are engaged. I believe Obama has done that for the dems. However, I would still prefer Hillary to be the winner. I truly believe she would do a better job at "leading" change.

January 31, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  21. Lifelong Dem from AR

The question of how President Hillary would "handle" her spouse, the former President, was sexist, inappropriate, and irrelevant. Shame on Wolf Blitzer! CNN should fire him. Instead of recognizing the benefit of having a former President as the spouse of the President, reporters cannot give up the idea that Bill will really be running the country. No person would put up with the process of seeking public office at the highest level to hand over control to another person – not even a spouse!

January 31, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  22. Nicole

Why weren't there any questions about energy? This is an extremely important issue that should be addresses at every debate. I want to know if the influential coal industry in Illinois is the source of Obama's backing of coal energy, whcih is no better than oil.

January 31, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  23. Wayne

The best line of the night goes to Obama. When he stated that Romney was not getting a very good return on his money, when asked about his lack of experence in running a business.

January 31, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  24. Casey...Bahgdad

This was easily the most substantive and civil debate. Both candidates came well prepared and laid out their cases for the voters with specific detail on the issues.

January 31, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  25. The Hulk

IT'S OK TO VOTE HILLARY... I WILL!!

January 31, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96