January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Deborah

Impressive, dignified debate between two intellectual giants.

The choice is difficult between the two, but its not a difficult choice between the parties. This is the year of the democrats.

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  2. Christy

This debate was very interesting. I actually liked how there werent fighting with eachother because thats not what its all about. Its about the issues. Im all for BARACK OBAMA and he did the best overall. Well done Obama.

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  3. MattB

Clinton's vote to authorize the war was based on bad intelligence from the Bush Administration and their hidden agenda. The longer you serve in office, the more heavily scrutinized you are because you have voted on more issues and no one is right 100% of the time.

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  4. Joy

Hillary clearly won this debate.... I was not going to vote for her but after tonight I may change my mind.

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. sugar

good job OBAMA

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. Mike

Obama won the debate at our house. His honest, clear and precise answers reveal a great thinker. We thought Hillary talked too much like a seasoned politician, always looking for the answer that turns off the least number of people.

January 31, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. Steve

Why are three of CNN's post-debate pundits former Clinton administration officials? That suggests pretty blatant bias which was not clearly disclosed.

January 31, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. viki

I think they both faired well....my faith is in Obama. His actions have proven him to be a man of clear judgment and vision. Opposing the Iraq war, the most self-destructive event in our nation's history. Obama has all the qualities that George W. Bush lacks; qualities that are crucial for a leader our great nation to have.

January 31, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. JOSEPH

You know what I find really amusing is that all of the Hillary supporters are glad to see the two candidates getting along tonight, thats because they secretly feel so dirty and low down from all of the dirty politicking that Hillary and her husband have done throughout. They all feel so guilty 🙂 !! lol Its great....come to the good side of the force guys it's not too late stop supporting the evil empire of Darth Vader and support the rebel alliance of Luke skywalker Obama 🙂 It's not too late THERE IS MUCH GOOD IN YOU STILL I SEE as Yoda would say.

January 31, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Chicago Mike

GREAT debate!! Loved the civility. Loved the focus on the issues.

Gotta give it to Hillary – she knows how to handle a debate like a future President should. Obama is from Illinois but I can't support him just bc of that. He is not ready, too young and naive. What is up with that STUTTER? That got annoying FAST. He seems easily unhinged. This is just a debate – how would he handle being in the Oval Office? Hmmm....no.

Everyone in this country was FOR the war back when Iraq happened. Get real people. I distinctly remember going to several stores trying to find a US Flag to put up on the big day and all stores were SOLD OUT. That was NOT a coincidence. Everybody got bilked. We and Hillary were lied to and told there were WMD's and there were not. You cannot go back now and blame her for something she was lied to about. Get real with yourselves and remember how you and people around you acted when you heard that we were striking Iraq. The only ppl against Iraq then were hardcore pot smoking hippies and to say any different is a lie.

Hillary rocked it. GREAT to see both a woman and a black man up there as our last 2 nominees – wow how times have CHANGED.

January 31, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. Lenny DellaRocca

It was the best debate of all so far. I believe Obama won however. The idea of having the "dream ticket" took me by surprise in that it did not seem like it was so far fetched. Wow!

January 31, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. Pat Kosack

I thought the debate was wonderful. I did not squirm because the candidates were at each others throats. They were civil and polite to each other, many times nodding their heads in agreement to something that the other said. This was a thrilling confrontation and actually an historic moment.

January 31, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  13. CitizenUSA

Thank you for addressing the "dream ticket" comment during the live debate. You are certainly the network for and of the people.

January 31, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  14. Aries Girl

Overall, I think the topic of immigration and the Iraq war catapulted Obama...leaving Hillary in the dust. She might have gotten my vote if she would have just admitted that she made a "mistake" voting for the Iraq War. Why is it so hard to admit that she was WRONG???? It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong and she refuses to do so every time someone brings that up. How is she going to handle something like that when she actually does make a bad decision? Will she admit that she was wrong in doing so or just tap dance her way around the situation? The Iraq War is a huge topic for me because I didn't agree with the war from day one...AND I am an Army Veteran, AND because my husband, who is currently on Active Duty AND on his second deployment in support of this war. If we were to go to war, it should have been with the "real criminals" behind 9-11!

January 31, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. Dustin

Despite of the booing on the "So you're saying you were naive in authorizing Bush's war" she made an awesome admittance. She said – I did "due diligence and investigation" in making that decision, but then admitted "taken on face value" it was an authorization for inspections and unfortunately that wasn't the case. That's the closest thing to an "I made a huge mistake in judgement" (that Obama capitalized on wonderfully) that a politician — and presidential candidate — may ever come close to.

January 31, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. celvan

Finally a non bickering debate. I still have not heard from any of the candidates how they will address some specific issues facing rural America. The rush to increase ethanol production may have raised corn prices, but cattle farmers are suffering. As prices go up at the supermarket, cattle prices for farmers are down. Add to that potential alternative energy mandates and I am worried. I am pro alternative energy, but millions of us live in rural america and there is no such thing as public transportation. The increased gas prices are are effecting farmers and the general rural population plus increasing food costs at the grocery store.
    I would like one of the candidates to address these issues.

January 31, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  17. Joy

Clearly Obama won the debate. He has my vote!

January 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  18. Constance

This is a historic debate, and year for this nation. And I was moved to my feet multiple times. It was great to have this opportunity to focus real attention to both candidates, and to see the strength of the Democratic Party Obama and Clinton represent – Actually for once, I feel that the Democratic Party represents the America I want.

Interestingly, I have moved from a very strong Obama supporter to a growing respect, appreciation and trust in Hillary. I am so glad that I feel confident about both because whoever wins I am totally behind.

Both have their strengths – Hillary is great at specifics, clear communication of her plans, policies, knowledge. Obama is great at speeches, being 'likeable' which is important in bringing people together across parties, priorities, perspectives, bringing about a 'new face', change, inspiration, "character".

I think though Hillary edged Obama in this debate. Mainly, she did good by addressing the questions and the audience as if she was one on one which is her strength, to make herself more appealing and accessible – that in combo with her debating skills and ability to communicate specifics gave her a slight edge.

So I guess now I am still an Obama supporter but wouldn't mind if Hillary won.

January 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  19. Ahmed Ahmed

I feel tonights debate went in favor of Senator Obama. I fell that he has the best chance of winning the national election due to the blunt fact that Hillary wont be able to hang under the pressure of those right wing conservatives. Tonight was another example of why i feel Obama is most qualified. We will all have to wait until super Tuesday to wait and see how nature takes it course.

January 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  20. Anthony Herrick

CNN, I am watching your after the debate commentary, and you have the same old people analyzing it. If a true change is to take place shouldn't you have a true representation of the American public?

January 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  21. C. Sue Fettig

I think I've finally made my final decision to support Senator Clinton. I couldn't quit smiling tonight. I was so proud to be a female. Some of the greatest leaders in the world have been female, I think she will be one of the greatest too.

January 31, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  22. mike

God bless us all. Who ever wins this contest needs to know this my be
    the last chance to get it right. The country is in a mess and women
    as a rule clean house better than men. Good luck Hillary

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. Lisa

I hope that those Americans with experience and who have worked hard come out to vote and support the candidate who will move this country ahead, not just the candidate who can motivate an audience. It's wonderful that younger voters are engaging in the American democratic process that many of us have fought very hard for as a right. I hope the media don't count out the millions of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's and are at home with family, children and parents we are taking care of, and not out there holding up signs and being physically counted or having the time to engage comments on the Internet.

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  24. Chris

To the above comment that people will change their minds once they get in the voting booth as a reason to not support Obama is only perpetuating the blatant racism that some people try to insert into American politics. Many people realize that he has vision, eloquence and the leadership skills so desperately needed to unite this country. He will bring the Congress together and get things done. Hillary is too divisive. The Republicans will do everything in their power to make sure she does not win.

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  25. coloredgirl

accountability /he/brings

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96