January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. DW

wonderful debate; still believe Clinton talks substance whereas Obama is still formulating; listening to pundits after the debate too many are saying "What Obama means . . . " whereas with Clinton they talk about her solutions, her ideas, her plans for the future . . .

personally I would like a Clinton/Edwards ticket or a Clinton/Obama ticket which would then groom Obama for his presidential run in EIGHT years!

January 31, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. Helen

Good job Obama; We don't need another Clinton to cleanup after the Bush. Who is going to cleanup after the Clinton. Clinton years in the White House was not pure.

January 31, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. Bill Brooks

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle DUM!!!

January 31, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  4. David Sanocki

Congratulations to both of the candidates for sticking to the issues and focusing less on bickering. However, shame on Wolff Blitzer for trying to instigate fights constantly throughout the debate. That was really low.

January 31, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. Cormier

I never thought that in my life time I would see a black man and a women of any ethnicity actually have a chance to be the President of this country. Both are excellent candidates but Hillary is my chose. Barrack is my grandchilderens hope, but today Hillary is my reality for what this country needs.

January 31, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. SabinaDu

WOW – Wolff Blitzer sure had a lot of chutzpah asking Clinton if she was "naive" in voting for the resolution. How many of the DOCUMENTED 935 lies that the Bush Administration planted in the lead up to the Iraq War did Wolf Blitzer present as "truth news" – not doing HIS job as a journalist to research whether it was the truth? Seems to me HE was worse than "naive". Clinton made her point – had she been President, there would be no Iraq War. I believe that. And Obama may have been correct about what a bad idea the war was, but so what? It did not stop the war, did it?

January 31, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  7. JEC

How's Obama inspirational or the new JFK? It is a good time to bring back what was said in a vicepresident's debate some years back. Obama, you are no JFK! Why are people so worried about appearances? She look this, he looks that. Who cares! Listen to the message, UNDERSTAND IT, and stop the BS that has driven the wrong people to the White House.

January 31, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  8. Ann

Obama did a better job than I suspected he might. Hillary is "yesterday" and Barak seems to be "tomorrow."
    Hillary brings too much baggage with her. Let American begin fresh.
    I don't see an Obama/Hillary ticket as Hillary would not be content to be in the lower role.

January 31, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  9. Sharon

I am so very proud to be a Democrat and hear our candidates speak to our common core values respectfully and without rancor. Certainly there are differences between the candidates, but tonight I feel confident that whoever is elected will articulate a progressive vision that will lead us, as a nation into a new and better future! I will be voting for Barak Obama, primarily because I believe that as a less divisive figure, he is better able to be elected to the presidency and inspire our citizens and Congress to work together toward the achievement of common goals.

January 31, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Malcolm MacLeod

I feel that Obama won, but not until the last question.

January 31, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. Isabella NYC

i think that hillary did a beautiful job and was very smart and well spoken and strong.

obama seems nice but very naive, not ready. it would be v wonderful to have a brilliant woman in the White House!! i will vote now for HILLARY after watching this whole debate.

DREAM TEAM = yes!
    hillary for president! obama for vp!

great job to them both! nice to see a POSITIVE debate for a change!

January 31, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  12. John

Obama was clearly more presidential. Outstanding debate for CNN and particularly Obama !!!

January 31, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Joe Scheidler

With both candidates mentioning global warming in their opening statements, I was looking forward to their views on that issue. Could the lack of climate-related questions from CNN reporters have anything to do with the coal industry being a major sponsor of the telecast? Does CNN bow to corporate influence?

January 31, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  14. Bernard (Virginia)

I love Obama, I love Clinton...and I love kittens too! Are these the only kinds of comments you're allowing? Why do you keep censoring my comment on partisan politics?

January 31, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  15. Joan

Hillary's health proposal is definitely superior. Like she said, if you don't aim for universal healthcare, you won't get it.

Of course cost is an issue but Americans are fed up with that excuse. They realize that if many other countries can afford it, so can we.

It's being said that 18% of American's top issue this year will be healthcare. If that's true, "Please welcome, President Hillary Rodham Clinton"!

January 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  16. Elizabeth

I think that Obama's comment about making right decisions from the first day was wrong. I think that when Clinton voted for the war she wasn't the one getting the info directly and she wasn't the one making the final decision. There is a difference between being in the senate and making decisions as the president.

January 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  17. steve

All in all I think both candidates look and sound presidential. Historic debate, a great step forward for our country. I am proud to be a Democrat, and will happily cast my vote for Barack Obama.

January 31, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. Lee

Obama showed his true colors by repeatedly trying to go negative. Clinton took the high ground and would not join in. Hillary Will Be the Next President. She Got My Vote.

January 31, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Ahmed Shaheed

I think both of candidates are extremely Intelligent. But in this moment we do not want to go back to another Clinton presidency because even though they have not done badly during their administration, they were partisan. I beleive to solve all the problmes we faced we need someone who can lift our spirits. And for me this person is at this moment Barack Obama

January 31, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  20. Jimmy O

Vote McCain. Vote Romney. Vote Obama. Reject the Clinton-Bush dynasty. We do not have a monarchy system of government

January 31, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  21. Elizabeth

Hilary Clinton obviously won!!!

January 31, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  22. JR

Great job by both of them. Even though Hillary spoke eloquently about all the health care and immigration, Obama put a dagger in her when they debated over Iraq!

Obama won......

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. Scot J

after reading so many of these comments.......I can't believe that there are so many IDIOTS in this country!!! If either of these two get elected we will ALL have to move to Mexico! They will never be able to get any Congress to do the things that they promise! They are sooooooo far out of reality. Why don't we try to reduce the medical and insurance costs by stopping the laywers from collecting millions of dollars for all of the flagerant lawsuits over such redicules issues or for someone that scratches his elbow when he trips on his own shoe lace while on someone elses property and the like......the doctors insurance would drop 50 K per year for every Dr. That would be a good start. Nothing good will come to our country if either of them get elected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  24. Independant Woman

The Clintons cant clean up anything till they clean up their own history.

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  25. Sandra Scott

January 31, 2008 10:42 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    January 31, 2008 10:28 pm ET

It is evident that Hillary has been well prepared by her team. Her deportment, delivery, and chosen leadership examples are now taken from the Obama handbook. Barack, however, continues to present his consistent message…knowledgeable leadership based upon character is needed in America.

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96